Unorthodox method: unseizing a coilover with coke

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by pitesy, Jan 21, 2012.

1. pitesy

pitesy Member

Hi!

As above. Having difficulties with unseizing mine. Tried the spanner, with leverage, WD40 for 3 days, nothing.
    Read threads about derusting them with coke.

For example:
    Ways to revive rusty coilovers? - Scionlife.com

So... Until it doesn't meet rubber parts, is it safe? It's a s14 cusco coilover. Threads are perfectly clean, no rust at all. Other parts are in a good condition aswell. (no rustbucket :)) But I guess nobody adjusted it after installing and haven't used any lubricant to prevent corrosion.

So coke? :) I have now a few liters at home. Opinion? Anybody tried?

Cheers!

2. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

im going to try it as well as i used WD for 3 hours with a huge hammer and nothing i cant adjust the height.

next weekend im going to use coke. dont use the cheap stuff as its not got the acid that coke has.

3. milez

milez Active Member

i used battery acid last time that worked a treat lol

4. FireStorm999

my HKS coilovers have the damping adjustment on the bottom, will this bit be alright submergeded in coke?

5. Clive

Clive Active Member

leak to soak over night in a bucket of diesel :)

6. FireStorm999

See above still clive, even if i used diesel, can you submerge the damping adjuster thats on the bottom.

7. pitesy

pitesy Member

Well I have cheap coke now... But it says in the ingredients: phosphorous acid. They say this acid and carbon dioxide does the trick. I hope at least. Anybody else tried it maybe? :)

#7 pitesy, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  8. pitesy

pitesy Member

Bump..
    Personally I'm afraid of battery acid. Cusco says on the website the threads are zink coated. Would acid melt this coat?

Some progress... Tried coke with rusty bolts first, well.. Not very impressing. Maybe I should try diesel aswell.

FireStorm999: could you "separate" the adjuster part with a few layers of foil/plastic wrap/something and (duct) tape?

9. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

Vinegar is another one to try. It is an acid and does a pretty good job.

10. FireStorm999

@ pikey

the adjuster is on the bottom like this

[​IMG]

and the big bit that adjsuts the height is seized solid.

so i was gonna submerge this in the bottle - ie cut the coke bottle in half and just sit the coilover inside overnight.

11. pitesy

pitesy Member

MrLuke: Vinegar.. Sounds good! I'll try it with the rusty bolts first, we'll see how it works.

FireStorm999: I meant the duct tape/plastic wrap like masking. So basically you wrap that lower part to protect it from the fluids. That part isn't threaded, so it's not a must to have contact with coke/diesel/etc. Maybe I'm wrong, just guessing. :)

12. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

After soaking in coke/vineger etc wash off with boiling water from a kettle. the adjuster is aluminium and will expand more than the strut tube. It will help loosen the ring.

13. FireStorm999

sorry unlike that picture mine has thread the whole way down to the bottom.i need to submerge the bottom adjuster (purple nobby thing), and am wondering if thats ok. i will obviously wrap it up as much as possible.

[​IMG]

the rears will be fine to submerge as the adjuster is on the top.

its the one front coilover thats screwed

14. pitesy

pitesy Member

FireStorm999: Ok, see it now. :)
    Well think about it. That part is in contact with water, mud, salt, etc. all the time while you drive. So in my opinion it shoulnd't be a problem. Okay, rain and soaking is a different game, but I don't think it would be a problem. Theoretically it's a fully closed system. Right? :)

4_Stroke: Hot water makes sense to me.. Unlike heating with fire. :)

Thanks for the ideas everybody! After I broke them loose, I'll write which method was successful. :)

15. FireStorm999

thanks for your reassurrance, il give this a go on the weekend, remove friday night and let them soak overnight in coke for fitting sat morning.

if you find something is better in the mean time let me know.

16. BreadBin

BreadBin Rough Tonguer

WD40 is useless for unseizing stuff. PlusGas is the shit :nod:

17. pitesy

pitesy Member

FireStorm999: Cheers! Mind: it's just my opinion, maybe I'm wrong. Tomorrow I'll try a few things, so I'll let you know if something was successful :)

BreadBin: Too bad we don't have PlusGas in Hungary... :S Do you know about similar products maybe? We only have Liqui Moly Ceramic Rust Solvent for example.. I don't know if it's any good. Thanks!

18. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

coke wont do anything. ive tried it. soak them in some kind of penetrating oil or diesel. id be tempted to seal the lower adjuster aswell.oil does funny things to rubber.

19. Rhys_sx

Rhys_sx -NightWalkers-

use cheap coke all the time, great for cleaning carb jets , de greasing parts , even unblocked a radiator with it

20. eurodave

eurodave Member

well surely its exactly the same as cleaning coins? i used to clean coins for my grandad with coke, worked REALLY well, the dirtier they are the longer you have to soak them tho.

i can see there being any problems with the bottom of the coils, they are surely watterproof? they are outside the car and deal with puddles, floods etc?

might do this with the coils that i have coming, wanna get them clean before they go on :D