E36 HSD - Droplinks

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by f0xy, Oct 14, 2012.

1. f0xy

f0xy Member

Just wondering what people are using on their E36's for droplinks when running HSDs?

I have them fitted to a 328, with E46 LCAs so wanted to use the drop link mounts on the shock as they would be on an M3. After a bit of research on M3Cutters and other forums before getting the coilovers I decided to run rose jointed links instead of the stock M3 ones (especially with various people saying the standard ones are too long to use with HSDs?).

Anyway I got the bits and made up some rosejointed droplinks, fitted them at the same time as the coilovers as below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After driving the car (marked up the lock nuts and various other bolts with paint pen) I noticed the drop link turnbuckle had come un-done, even though it was locked off with a locking nut on either end. I'm also getting a slight heavy spot on the steering after about 1/3 of a turn, further than that its fine in both directions.

Couple of things that I'm wondering are/possibly could be causing this -
    - Are the droplink mounts on the shock in the correct orientation?
    - Are the droplink mounts on the shock at the correct height?
    - Are the droplinks not long enough/too short?
    - Have the rosejoints got enough degrees of movement, or are they locking out causing the un-doing of the turnbuckle?

Has anyone else ran this sort of setup with the HSDs on here, or are you using stock M3 droplinks?

Cheers.

2. bell

bell Without patience

BMW E46 SHORTENED DROP LINKS | eBay

i know these are listed as 46 but they could be the key in your problem. i would have though the rose joints would come undone and turn to much where as the e46 ones are similar to a standard fixed style droplink.

3. f0xy

f0xy Member

Seen those on a couple of cars over on M3cutters using HSDs. Couple of people using the same setup as me though too (rosejoints) without issue - although I cant post on there as of yet to get any more information! Going to have another look in a bit but I'm sure the rosejoint setup should work considering HSD can supply the same parts with the coilovers if required...

4. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

They'll be binding out. Get under the car and move it lock-to-lock, I bet you'll see them bind and come loose.
    Stock droplinks work fine :)

5. f0xy

f0xy Member

I went from LTL with the car in the air/wheels off, but I assume its different with the weight of the car on it then? Binding out as in reaching their maximum sideways travel and then undoing I assume?

I wonder how people get away with running rosejointed drop links elsewhere then, will have to search some more.

6. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Yep :)

Did you have the suspension at the same ride height as when it's on the floor?
    You can run rose joints no problem, just need to make sure they don't bind.

7. f0xy

f0xy Member

I'm guessing the shock compresses about 20-25mm when the weight of the car is down on it once on the floor, that could be the problem then. Just need to work out whether the droplinks need to be longer or shorter then - Luckily with adjustable length and adjustable droplink mount it gives enough room for changes to be tested

8. f0xy

f0xy Member

Had a quick look earlier- lengthened the drop links by approx 35mm on both sides and locked off. Marked up with fresh paint pen and took it for a drive - steering has lost its heavy spot and all seems OK. Checked the droplinks once back and paint marks all still line up, so it may have been that. Will monitor it and see how it goes!

9. f0xy

f0xy Member

Spoke too soon. After another 40-50 miles or so using lock in both directions they have come loose and I've got the heavy spot in the steering (both directions @ 1/3 turn). The lock nut/rosejoint have come undone on one end of the turnbuckle, only know this as the paint marks have moved. Not sure what to change/try next now...

10. f0xy

f0xy Member

Ok, so I fitted some shorter standard style droplinks (Hyundai coupe), and I thought the problem was solved. Took it on a day at Oulton a couple of weeks back and started to get a heavy spot in the steering after using full L-to-R lock. Just come to do some other work on it this evening and noticed the lower coilover ring has come loose again, long with the droplink being bent also..

[​IMG]

Now, could this be down to running more than standard lock? I.e. the shock is turning round more, causing the droplink to bind and undo whatever it can to carry on turning? If so, I'm wondering what other E36s with non standard lock could be running to solve this issue...

11. Karan

Karan Active Member

To be honest a lot of people on bmws just sod of the link onto the strut and just fix onto the control arms like on an e30. You will find you lose a bit of feel around centre but the steering will feel better when cornering, as well as getting rid of tramlning and the car following any dips grooves in the road too much

12. f0xy

f0xy Member

Yeah, thats how the 'non-m3' E36s are standard to the wishbone with a tiny drop link. Problem is im running E46 arms, which dont have a hole, and dont really fancy drilling them without strengthening, due to them being ally. The only people I can find with HSDs and E46 front arms are running without a front ARB it seems, but its not really a solution I guess..