Front end set up help

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by disco_stu, Oct 21, 2014.

1. disco_stu

disco_stu Member

I'm running about 3 degrees of camber on my front wheel's seem to get a bit of understeer every so often Iv got 8 j wheels on the front thibking of swapping them for some 10j wheels would this help ? What size wheels do people tend to use ?

Thanks

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

A: What car and engine?
    B: What size and brand tyres?
    C: Understeer when? While drifting? Normal driving? On the track? Street?

3. James998

James998 Member

Also, what diff are you using? When I ran a welder every so often it would push it into understeer quite badly.

4. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

D. What's your set up at the rear like. Tyre pressure, camber toe
    E. Front toe
    F. Front tyre Pressure
    G. Coilovers? Spring rates?
    H. Are you a noob? (serious question btw, not taking the piss)

5. status unknown

ive noticed from personal experience that understeer from drifting happened when being a pussy and not initiating hard enough, maybe your not "committed" enough?

6. oscar

oscar Member

3 degrees of camber looks really cool and I bet you have 200 degrees of caster too ?
    Probably going to understeer a bit if only half of the front tyre is actually touching the ground.
    Fitting wider rims may help but so would fitting much narrower ones.
    Reduce the camber by half, look a little less cool and be happy.

7. disco_stu

disco_stu Member

IV got a 200sx s14
    Running 412 Bhp
    Front camber 3 degrees
    Not sure about caster
    Front tire pressures 33-35
    Not sure if the spring rates in running hks type 2
    Front toe .2
    in im running a welded diff aswell the grip is good most of the time occasionally the front understeers
    I am fully committed every time lol
    I only use for track no street no road
    Using 10j wheels on front would this help ?

8. Aaron328

Aaron328 Member

Lower tyre pressure on the front would be the first thing I'd look at. I usually run 25-27.

9. LostKen

LostKen Member

Flick and clutch kicks , its the skill not the car. I have started in e36 325 few years ago and doing fine without doing proper alignment, though the next owner said it understeer a lot. So its down to skill.
    Yes a proper setting will help but it depends on your driving style. Since i have sold the e36 and get the s14a, i started proper setting like 4 degree front camber, toe out etc. It will make maintaining the drift better but i do think if you are driving 400hp FR car and understeering, you need to improve the skill first.

10. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Slamming the car on it's ass will create loads of understeer as well.

11. HOODS

HOODS Member

-3 ain't to bad tbh and 10j is a little wide for the front I'd say, could end up with clearance issues when on lock.
    I run around -2.5-3 on the front. 9.5j and 30psi on nankang ns2's so not expensive sticky tires.

How experience are you?
    If you have over 400bhp and running a decent amount of toe out i'd expect you to have at least a couple of seasons under your belt?

12. Jites

Jites Active Member

unless you correct what you have done.

OP, firstly, what are the widths on the front? those tyre pressures may be a little high for the front, try dropping them down first before wasting cash on stuff. then increase the rear pressure I run 30-32psi front and from 40-50 on the rear depending on tyre size and quality. that usually works for me and im running way less power so give the free stuff a shot.

I like the idea of 10j's tho ;)

Its also worth having a good look at the footwork in case anything is loose/worn. I had a drop link go and that caused my car to handle like shit.

13. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

SR/CA powered or other?

What brand and size of front tyre?

14. disco_stu

disco_stu Member

I'm no pro but have plenty of experience was drifting for bout two years then had two years off just got bk into it In the last 8 9 months in the same car i can correct correct it for it not to cause a problem not its not on every corner I just wonderd if something I could ajust or a different settings camber ect of anyone else has the same problem iv had a good look at the front of the car Iv got a broken drop link in going to swap my front tire to something better and try lower pressure 10j on front a deffo no go then I'm still tweaking about with diffrrent toe ect what's everyone else running ?I'm only running 8js on the front
    I appreciate all the help thanks