S14 feels like I'm driving like a simpson

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by redlinereiddy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. redlinereiddy

redlinereiddy Member

Hi guys, I have an s14 and it feel like I'm driving from side to side slightly whilst going straight if that makes sense? I've had alignment done today and it's no better, not sure what to check from here

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Any steering / suspension mods done?

If you got an alignment i would expect they would have checked the tie rod ends so sounds like a rooted shock or steering rack bushes are completely flogged.

3. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

rear subframe bushes would be my bet

4. redlinereiddy

redlinereiddy Member

The front end has some parts shop max extra lock hubs, new tie rods and ends with offset rack spacers. All dw arms with rose joints.

And rear subframe bushes are solid I think

5. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Jack both front wheel off the ground, make sure steering lock is on, grab wheel and try and pull the rear while pushing front (and vice versa). If you can feel movement of more than ~2-3mm then rack bushes need replacing. To confirm, take a wheel off and push and pull the tie rod end and see if the rack moves.

Repeat at the back.

6. HOODS

HOODS Member

sounds like you have a pretty modified setup and im betting your running a drift specific geometry?

if so then your cars going to tramline, wonder and general be worse than a standard setup car.

i run a fair bit of toe out, good bit of - camber and my cars pretty low and its horrible to drive, on track however when sideways its good

7. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Yup. Neg camber will pull the car all over the place.

8. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

more likely youve got different brand/style of tyres on the rear axle with a welded diff?

9. B3AM3R

B3AM3R Member

Toe Settings? if it's too much open it won't let you find a middle position in the steering and it's wobbly as you describe.

10. redlinereiddy

redlinereiddy Member

Hi guys, yeah i trusted the guy i got it from saying it had just had alignment... it needed loads of adjustment and had a bent lower arm

11. Black steel

Black steel Member

I had this wen I got it back from garage after having a full gear on and off for wielding work and new suspension parts after a few months and a track day: front shock bolts and rear hub bolts made there way loose lol which made the car travel side to side when attempt to drive straight. Like a previous post suggested jack it up get hold of wheel and check for movement like an mot man does, alinement guys are unlikely to check that unless you ask them too.