Rear won't go high enough with cs2s and geomasters on s13

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by m.d., Nov 21, 2014.

1. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

Just a quick one. How have people combatted the "too low" issue where when running the cs2 coilovers. And geomaster rear hubs. (S13).

I've had to pretty much coil bound the helper spring with pre load on the rear to get it anywhere near high enough and Its still very low. And I only have a few turns of thread in the bottom adjuster to so I wouldn't dare run any higher on that.

On my old coilovers I just cut and shut the lowers but didn't fancy doing that to my brand new And not exactly cheap CS2s lol.

2. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

you could machine a spacer for the top mount and use the remote adjusters.

3. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

you've bought coilovers that go really low and bought drop knuckles and now its too low? What is too low?

4. miffy

miffy Member

What are you building ? A monster truck ?

5. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

No it's not that I want it high. It's that it's so low the sills would sit on the floor. And the wheel would barely turn in the arch.
    I bought the suspension because I want the car to handle well. Because that's it's selling point.
    If I set the rears up with no preload as the instructions insist. The rear wheel would barely turn in the arch. Currently with about 60mm of pre load the rim is sitting about an inch below the arch lip.
    I'll get a pic of how low it is.

6. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

[​IMG]

This is where I'd like it to sit. And this is with 60+mm pre load on the spring

7. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

There's really no way round it without custom top mount spacers with extended studs.

Geo's drop it about 40/50mm standard right? And have you got Driftworks subframe bushes? As some bushes also drop the car by 10mm.

8. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

Yeah got the whole driftworks set up. I kinda thing it's a little daft that you can't run the coilovers that are supplied with the kit at a sensible height.

9. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

get longer cups from dw

10. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

Does seem abit strange but if you can get longer lower cups then that would sort it. Maybe if you specify when you order the cs2'd that you have the complete Driftworks package they may offer longer cups as standard.

Obviously the coilovers are designed to work on cars without geo's and subframe riser bushes. So the emphasis is on being able to go low and not high.

11. danny_boi

danny_boi novice

im lower than that and its all good....

12. miffy

miffy Member

That looks a sensible height to me lol . I would be blasting over speed humps at that height lol

13. chidley

chidley i like fingers

dude, you have nothing to worry about, by that photo your sills will be perfectly safe, and on an 18" rim you have plenty more room.

i have 17" wheels with 45 profile tyres stretched rather a lot, with top of rim level with arch, front and rear, and my sills still dont touch the ground. youll be surprised at just how spastic you can get an s13 without issues

14. danny_boi

danny_boi novice

hahaha im running 16's with a 195 :whack:

15. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

This is the thing. that pic is how I want the car to sit. But to get it that height. I've had to adjust the spring platform up about 60mm so the helper spring is now coil bound.
    I usually run a spacer and a stretched tyre on the back. But I've gone for a massively wide tyre for a track day next weekend. Usually I have the rim just outside the arch with a 225 on my 10j wheel. There's no way I'd be able to do that with the coilovers set with no preload like they are supposed to be. I have a pic of how it sits with them set as high as they go but with no pre load. How they are meant to be set.

[​IMG]

And that's with the car not even down on the floor. The rim disappeared up under the arch lip by about an inch when I did.

I can cut and shut the lowers like I did before. Can you buy new lowers from driftworks?
    I remember Bon having a conversation about this with someone that I replied to years ago but I can't find it :(

16. chidley

chidley i like fingers

hmmm, in that case dude, i have no idea :) best of luck!

17. Nicksetup

Nicksetup Member

I guess you got s13 coilovers.

we normally run a custom made extended top mount, cut and shut the bottom , of run s14 shocks and s13 top mount. I would speak to driftworks on telephone they probably already have the solution for this.

its nothing new if you want to run with a sensible roll centre height.

18. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

as nick said, ask driftworks how they have made the s14 versions longer, if its the lower section then just get those.

19. miffy

miffy Member

The first thing you need to worry about with a low s13 is exhaust system hitting the ground first . If your rails hit before your exhaust can I have a link or a number to your exhaust guy because thats what I need In my life lol

20. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

I asked driftworks via email but didn't get a reply.
    I've decided to make a wheel spacer type arrangement that bolts on the top of the coilover so I'm not cutting a brand new set up. We found on the track this weekend while testing it with the springs wound up as ive had to the rear was way too stiff and wasn't allowing the rear to bite in. So something definitely needs to be done.