E36 rear end knock after fitting welder

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Wolvo-Olie, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Wolvo-Olie

Wolvo-Olie Member

After some help/advice please!

Got a 328, and it came with a 325 diff. I've been and had the 325 diff welded and fitted today and it's making a horrible sound when coasting.

I've had 4 e36 with welders so I'm familiar with how they drive and this isn't right!

It only happens when coasting. The guy who fitted it showed me that the drivers side output shaft/flange has some play... I'm wondering if I could put the flange off the 328 diff in, and if there's a good chance that is the cause?

I'll be real pissed off if I've just paid 100 quid to have a fucked diff welded and fitted

[​IMG]

#1 Wolvo-Olie, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. Wolvo-Olie

Wolvo-Olie Member

Should probably give some details about the actual noise haha!

When you accelerate it feels like it should, it's just when you coast there's an intermittent knock coming from the back. It sounds like the diff knocking off the boot floor a bit, like when the front diff bolt snaps, except when that happens you get a knock on accel, mine is fine on accel but knocks when coating :/

I was kind of hoping the loose output shaft taking up the slack in the driveline could be to blame, but thought I'd ask before I waste time stripping it down tomorrow!

3. James.

James. Member

Subframe bushes? Mines banging around atm, sounds like it's loose and twisting under load or when letting off the throttle.

4. ShaunV90

ShaunV90 Active Member

Sorry that this will be no help to you, what kind of wheels are they on the front in the pictrue?...:rolleyes:

5. James998

James998 Member

I had a welder on my 328 for about a year and every so often (month maybe) the N/S output shaft bolts (the torx ones) would come loose, probably not that as it only happened over time but it'll be worth a check. I'd go over all the bushes with a bar and see whats got play in it, as a welder will accentuate all wear.

6. pecs

pecs Member

I'd check the subframe bushes, wore bushes there or damaged driveshafts will cause this problem.

7. Wolvo-Olie

Wolvo-Olie Member

Cheers for the help lads, weren't far off. The guy who welded the diff had left the rear two mounts loose, pretty bad really!

Wheels are PLS Evolutions mate!
    [​IMG]

8. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

I once rattled 4 of them torx screws loose, then the last 2 broke in half. I had to get a replacement flange from the scrapper but it wasn't to bad of a job really.

Bu t the flanges are loose in the diff they are supposed to be that way right, they slide in and out all the time and clunk and stuff that is supposed to happen I think.