E46 HSD dualtech

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Nimraynn, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Nimraynn

Nimraynn New Member

Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie with coilovers and suspension in general, so sorry if these are stupid questions. Got to learn somewhere :)

I'm currently running a set of cheapo eBay special coilovers which seemed to do the job for a while but they're getting knackered really quickly as you'd expect when you spend as little as possible! So I've invested in a set of HSD DualTech coilovers, hear great things about them and can already tell the difference in quality upon unboxing them.

I'll be fitting them this weekend hopefully, weather permitting, but there are a few bits I'm unsure about that I'd like to clarify first to make sure I get the job right. I've fitted my previous coilovers myself so have a good idea of the basic swap over process, but there are some bits on the HSDs I've not seen on my cheap set that I'm unsure of. This will be for a street car, likely not to see a race track or much sideways action any time soon, and if it makes that much of a difference, it's an '00 E46 323Ci coupe.

My first question is about the rear springs. Probably a really stupid question, so sorry, but on both springs is a brown plastic thing. I didn't see any mention of it in the documentation that came with them that mentions it. It kinda looks like part of the packaging to me, but then it seems in a pretty specific place which is identical on both springs so wondering if it's meant to be left that. Do I leave this on or take it off?

On the rear spring adjuster, there is a bolt thing. I did briefly watch a video on your YouTube channel and if I understood rightly, this is to bolt the adjuster to the arm? Is that right? So I just unscrew this, put the adjuster on the arm, then feed the bolt back through from underneath? Any particular torque is should be tightened to or just until its tight?

Lastly, should I need to adjust the drop link mounting bracket position, or should it be OK directly below the spring as they've come? How would I know if I need to adjust it when fitted/fitting? My cheap ones came with a static mount, so never had to adjust the positioning of it.

Cheers,
    Mike