Ultimate S13 rear end?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by James D, Oct 7, 2015.

1. James D

James D Member

So here's my S13 so far:

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/dri...35-probably-9000th-s-body-build-thread-2.html

I'm still not 100% sure what i want to do with the rear end on this...

I have the S13 solid subframe bushes waiting to be fitted but i'm considering fitting an S14 one instead which means i'll need offset subframe bushes instead.

If i were to fit the S14 subframe, i was thinking of using a 4:1 ratio R33 diff (Welded) and shafts and i'm going to be using Kaizenforce alignment arms.

Has anyone got any advice on what is better/advice on fitting etc?

Cheers in advance guys

2. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother fitting an S14 Subframe....everybody I know running S14 Subframes on S13's have driveshaft problems, although it is common on S14's aswell when your even remotely low...

Stick to the S13 rear subframe, put solid bushes in it, get some adjustable arms, PSM are probably the best out there but aren't cheap, and if its your first drifter then I would stick to Japspeed/Driftworks stuff for now as they do the job fine...

3. James D

James D Member

When you say driveshaft issues, what exactly? The angle?

With running Geomasters front and rear it shouldn't be a problem as the spindle is dropped by 50mm and i'm also running kinked rear toe arms so that should help minimise the issue of the arms smashing on the subframe.

Kaizenforce arms come in slightly cheaper than japspeed and DW arms but i've felt them in person and seem to be much better quality that the other two which i've seen as well... 1 year warranty on bushes and 5 year on complete arm failure...
    Nissan Alignment Arms - OPJP Imports

This isn't my first driftcar, but it is my first Nissan.

I'm thinking the wider track on the rear should help massively to fill out my +70mm rear overfenders

4. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

Geomasters make no difference to the shaft angle, probably even worse if anything if you end up lowering even further.

5. Leno

Leno Member

The driveshaft issues he's talking about is splitting cv boots. You can buy spacers that go between the diff flange and driveshaft to help (ej9.co.uk) I've also wrapped my exhaust where it passes the boot to try reduce rubber fatigue from heat. I do have a couple of mates with low 14's that have never had any issues, but I've also seen quite a few failures on properly used low 14's..

6. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

Daze runs Geomasters + driveshaft spacers with R33 shafts & he still goes though shafts, although I think he splits the boost first then flings all the grease out which kills the shafts. In know other people with stock S14 rears, still running low, that seam to bust shafts. Always seam to be the passengers side as well, I'm wondering if it's something to do with set up. I was running a S14 subframe in my S13, no geomasters but the subframe raised, & never had any problems with shafts.

7. Bu11et

Bu11et Well-Known Member

as comments below...its the boots due to the angle and the fact the S14 subframe is wider so stretches the boots and joints - I know plenty of people running low S13's on stock subframes with no many driveshaft issues compared to low S14/15's....

If possible, maybe reduce your overfenders? get +30/50mm if your gonna struggle filling them?

8. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Good advice so far. S14 subframe is only needed when using it in competition and you're chasing every last bit of grip.

Stick with S13 subframe, use solid subframe risers, use kinked camber arms too as they will only have ~5mm clearance to chassis rails, even with geomasters.

I run the same diff and shafts you've listed in an S13 subframe (no axle spacers). Lasted for 35 events with no axle failure, the last 12+ events with -0.5 camber.

What wheels are you running with +70 rear guards?