Geos + ARB vs Wisefab +no ARB for Track/Race car

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by chodjinn, Nov 20, 2015.

1. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Current setup for my R32 Skyline with Macpherson conversion is extended S14 arms, tein rods, adjustbale tension rods and driftworks geomasters.

The car is primarily for track/race use and is not road legal. I bought the geos for the drop in roll centre.

I have the opportunity to get a full wisefab kit. The benefits over my current setup is the extra bit of drop, and the large weight saving in unsprung mass. Problem is, you can't run an ARB with this kit. I could fit higher rate springs to my coilovers to try and compensate a bit.

Has anyone any thoughts or experience as to running the wisefab kit on a mostly track/race orientated car? I would have thought an ARB is a must, never seen a race car without one ...?

2. markII

markII Member

Plenty of fd drivers run with no arb. It maximises the full lock potential and running stiffer spring rates is the cure and is not overly expensive either.

3. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

As stated, not for a drift car, for a track/race car. If it was a drift car I wouldn't think twice about it/

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

From my limited (ie I didn't fucking leave it like that for long!) experience of 2x cars without the ARB, they feel like shit at speed aside from while actually drifting.

Totally shit.

Nothing to do with the body roll, that wasn't it as it was plenty stiff, it just made the car feel vague as fuck at speed unless drifting, total wank, hated it.

For that reason I'd not even have it for drift only car tbf.

#4 Stavros, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  5. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

The main thing to bear in mind is that Wisefab is designed solely for drifting. almost all castor is removed, and the standard kit has 0* ackerman. It will feel dreadful at high speed on track.

6. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Thanks for the answer Phil / Stav, pretty much what I thought. I'll stick with the geos then!

7. Clark3y

Clark3y Member

Why would you downgrade the double wishbone setup to McPherson?

8. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

The R32 wishbone setup isn't great, macpherson strut is a very simple setup, it's lighter, and the shell was already converted when I got it!!

9. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Bee*R did it on a few of their R body cars too :)

10. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

In our experience the double wishbone suspension works very well with the right components. The Rbody MacPhearson conversion is extremely difficult to get to steer well, but as mentioned above saves quite a lot of weight (around 40kg).

11. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Jesus I didn't know it was as much as that! 40kg is a hell of a lot of saving. I know the Driftworks R32 had a macpherson setup for a while, what made it difficult to steer well? I currently have an R33 subframe, S14 rack, extended s15 arms, tein coilies etc.

I've gone for a complete manual rack conversion, and fitting a (lighter) 1UZ engine which should help lighten things up at the front until I get round to spaceframeing it. I was hoping for about 1100kg wet weight (think the r32 gts are about 1260kg from the factory?)