BMW e46 Front end collision best (cheapest) way to get it on track

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by xlogic, Feb 13, 2016.

1. xlogic

xlogic Member

I bought a 323 E46 late last year for £350. The previous owner had a front end 'altercation' with a bus. There were no insurance claims made and so far as I am aware the car is not cat C/D.

At the moment it's on a friends drive and I have finally managed to get the front end off (not fun working on cars in winter).

The car drives, engine starts etc and I want to get it road legal so I can get it to track.

In short, the front N/S chassis leg is bent to hell - from the pictures below, is it worth getting this straightened up?

Here are some pictures (night time shots).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [

2. tiredhero

tiredhero Member

yo can pick up cheap e46 s all over, id get a cheapo 318 and chuck the gutts from that 323 into the new one... atleast that way you would have spares too ;)

3. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

I think for the cost of getting it straightened so it all goes back together properly you'd be just as well buying an e46 with a blown engine and swapping the blocks.

4. xlogic

xlogic Member

I did think of an engine and transmission swap as one of my options - I have a 316 auto e46 (dont laugh!) but I have asked my insurance company and they wouldnt insure an engine swap from 1.8l to the 323 engine.
    I have the auto up for sale and was going to use some of the cash to get the 323 track ready.

I could just give up on the idea of getting this one road legal and just trailering it to track (buxton is 30/40 minute drive from me)

In that case - could I just get a metal bar in the chassis leg or use a jack/ratchet strap and bend it back enough to get a bumper on...I've seen cars in worse shape at buxton!

The 323 seems to be in really good condition (aside from the crash) seems a shame to waste it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

image uploading

#4 xlogic, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  5. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

If it isn't going to go back on the road all you need to worry about is whether it drives straight, if you've got a trailer that might be the best answer

6. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Go read buxtons latest post, no more shit looking bangers.
    Jeek said it a while ago about driftland and it's a good idea, if you want to drive a heap take up stockies.

7. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

I think he means he'll bend the legs back as best as possible so the body goes back together, and tbh if it's only going on a drift track as long as it's tidy and drives in a straight line it's fine

8. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Completely agree, but if he put it on a trailer like that it wouldn't surprise me.

9. xlogic

xlogic Member

Yep I also agree with Buxton drift's policy and if it were to get to buxton it would have a bumper and lights!

Not saying it would 100% leave there with the bumper and lights

#9 xlogic, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016