Traction rods

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by lower class, May 18, 2016.

1. lower class

lower class Member

So adjustable traction rods. Are they necessary?

I've done a bit of research and from what I could gather they're not really necessary as most people that do end up getting adjustable ones set them to near on stock length... but this seems to be with stock RLCA's

I have just got adjustable RLCA's, camber arms and toe rods. I want to extend the track, so do people think I will need the adjustable traction rods to do this? I don't really want to have to geo the car twice if I can help it.

Thanks in advance

2. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Traction rods help keep your alignment through the compression stroke of your suspension and in turn reduces bump steer.

For lowered cars I think the rule of thumb was 1 inch shorter than standard or might of been longer I cant remember now but there was a decent thread on SXOC where someone had compiled graphs of suspension travel and the geometry change at different traction rod lengths so have a search on there mate.

3. lower class

lower class Member

Ah cool. Nice one. I had a courtesy look but I'll check sxoc out properly! I knew they effected the camber curve but what I was wondering was if I could extend the track with the stock traction rod in place and it be OK? I'm not super low but quite a bit lower than stock.

Also as the camber curve cannot be dialed in whilst the car is static is there somewhere that can do this? or do you think I will have to work out from the available material the best length with the set up I'll be running?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

4. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

I must of been speaking shit yesterday, couldn't find it on sxoc as I looked after posting this but I just found the thread I was on about but the links for the graph images aren't working for me, check it out

New S14 bumpsteer graphs - Nissan Road Racing Forums

5. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Changing from rubber bushes to rose jointed links helps reduce the amount of flex that is attributed to that arm, so even keeping at original length is an improvement.

But if you're wanting to reduce camber gain on compression, lengthen the traction arm, then adjust the camber and the toe arms accordingly to get back to your original settings

6. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

pretty sure if you extend the lca/track your going to have to extend all the other arms the same amount to keep the alignment roughly in spec if that makes sense. They all work together so its worth getting the whole kit, On a side note i now run my traction links 10mm longer then standard and it seems better. Tyre wear is pretty good even with just over 2* static camber

7. lower class

lower class Member

Nice one sparky, the pictures don't work but he says he can send an email of them. Hopefully he's still got it..... think that threads like 8 years old now! lol

8. lower class

lower class Member

9. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Would recommend fitting solid subframe risers too then, gets the arms into a better plane of operation

You can also look at running a small bit of toe in too, toe change during compression can be quite large and reduce traction when the suspension is loaded up (ie probably when you want it most)