Spacer nuts came loose on their own after 5 months of being fine... is that normal?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Adam-MGTF, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

I realise this is a bit of a weird thread. But I need to put my mind at rest.

I built my 14 daily over the spring. At the time i put on some genuine H&R 20mm spacers so wheels would clear my brakes.

had them for 3 years. they were on my 300zx drift car no issues before that

Saturday the nuts holding them on went loose on their own and snapped 2 of the studs... dual carriageway driving at 60.

To say I pooed myself would be a mild understatement.

I've done a couple of track days and 6000 road miles since putting them on... then, boom....

has this happened to anyone else before?

how do i stop it happening again?

2. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Loctite or some other form of thread lock. Or nylock/crimped nuts

3. Kingk

Kingk Member

What other mods do you have? Ie any solid bushes etc? Maybe vibrations etc rattled them loose?

If put some strong loctite on to stop it happening again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Had you checked them in the 5 months they had been fitted?

5. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Def think i'll loctite them... just seems odd that i have never had this issue before.

coilovers. thats it... Weridly my 300zx (that they were on) was all rose jointed and polybushed. but my 14 isnt, it's soft and comfy

I hadn't but then again i havent checked any of the other nuts and bolts i did up 5 months ago lol. just a quick check after 100 miles or so

6. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

Def think i'll loctite them... just seems odd that i have never had this issue before.

coilovers. thats it... Weridly my 300zx (that they were on) was all rose jointed and polybushed. but my 14 isnt, it's soft and comfy

I hadn't but then again i havent checked any of the other nuts and bolts i did up 5 months ago lol. just a quick check after 100 miles or so

7. mc_bob

mc_bob Active Member

Not torqued correctly(including too tight). I always check mine when pulling wheels off but never had any loose.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

8. mathew8717

mathew8717 Member

Funnily enough mine did the exact same thing last month on my 14, wheel was still bolted to the spacer but the spacer came away. And same as you was on the motorway.

Did u notice a slight vibration before it happened? I did and slowed to about 50 in the slow lane and planned to get off at the next junction to see what was up then snap, 4 of the wheel studs snapped.

[​IMG]

Mine were brand new wheel studs the month before and they were torqued up, I'm definitely going to use locktite before using spacers again

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

9. Adam-MGTF

Adam-MGTF Member

exactly what happened to mine

what do you torque them to? I must admit i just "did them up"