Mx5 power steering fluid leak

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by BlueFive, Dec 11, 2016.

1. BlueFive

BlueFive Member

Hello guys,
    I have a rather common problem with my mx5 mk1, when I race the car, the power steering fluid is start leaking, I think is from the top of the reservoir.
    Is anyone had the same issue and how he/she solved it? Any parts available for track use?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

2. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Try draining and replacing the fluid for some fresh stuff. :)

3. BlueFive

BlueFive Member

Thanks for your help mate, but what is the theory behind your answer? I'm suspecting because of the wear the viscosity of the fluid changes... Is that correct?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

4. Hexa-dB

Hexa-dB Member

If it's from the top of the reservoir (like it's overflowing) then I think it's a common thing with MX5s. Some people say it's the fluid getting too hot but others have said it's caused by cavitation of the fluid - tiny bubbles forming when the fluid is pumped about, caused by going from lock to lock quickly. A lot of people just leave it a bit less than full and it's ok.

Otherwise it could be rusty power steering pipes. Mine were rusty and started leaking to the point where it lost all of the PS fluid. I got a rack from a breaker with pipes attached and replaced the whole lot.