Replacement Coilover Springs, JZS171 Crown

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by misterjake, Dec 15, 2016.

1. misterjake

misterjake Member

Ive got a JZS171 Crown, it has Apexi N1 coilovers on it which I think (educated guess) are off of an IS/Altezza.

Its got all the wrong springs on it so im trying to source replacements.

Altezza fitment Apexi N1s have 10inch/250mm springs in 10kg and 7kg stiffness, but I was advised by various Aussies from the owners club (seems to be a lot of Crowns down under) to get at least 14-16kg fronts and 10-12 kg rears.

How much difference in spring lengths can I get away with? Driftworks can get HSD springs at a good price, but these stiffnesses, in the length to suit the coilover, seem to be hard to come by.

I know that ideally the shocks need to be revalved to suit but handling wont exactly be priority on a VIP barge and this will be a cheap solution until I get new coilovers, the Apexis seem to be in good condition but it had some trendy springs in Japan im guessing which the owner removed prior to selling.

I had planned on just getting Aristo spec HSD replacement springs (14kg/10kg) but these only come in 200mm length.

Any insight would be appreciated from someone who knows suspension!

2. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

As long as the coilovers are separate ride height and spring preload adjustable, and there's enough thread on the damper body to move the spring perch up 50mm, you won't notice any difference between a 250 and 200mm spring of the same rate.