chaser tourer s jzx100 .removing rear shock

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by slippy48, Dec 30, 2016.

1. slippy48

slippy48 New Member

hi to all...first post.just got a standard 98 chaser tourer s from a japanese office worker posted back to japan.car not worth taking.car has had light use but poorly maintained.maybe one oil change in 6 years.thankfully his wife drove it and not often.i sorted high idle issue with new iacv valve.pulled valve covers no black sludge so happy now to spend a few quid.bad knock from rear n/s going over slight bumps.sourced shock from germany.had a quick look at setup.appears that shock is very long and goes through upperwishbone.would anyone know what needs to be removed to get it out?i was hoping just arb droplink,lever control arm down and bobs yer uncle but seriously looks like will be clearance issues in getting it out past the wheel arch.hope im wrong and someone can confirm no need to start taking out driveshafts etc.thanks.

2. Moejorrison

Moejorrison Member

when I took my coilovers off the back I had to unscrew the bottom cups all the way off. in your situation Id detach the upper control arm from the body, should allow for enough angle to slide it out

3. slippy48

slippy48 New Member

thanks for the reply.appreciated.i actually went at it last week before getting any extra info and ended up compressing the spring in situ on the car.came out ,no dramas.maybe i will put in coilovers at a later day but keeping it factory for now.use to own a cefiro tourer which was a great car but the chaser's 1jzge seems to rev far easier than the vq25de.cheers