Bp r32

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Blackett, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Blackett R32

Bought my first Skyline to use at DWYB, drive on the road and have to promote my business as Santa Pod's Resident RWYB and DWYB Photographer.

Spec as bought:

Black (apparently - looks like it needs a good polish :nod:)
    R32GTS4 (Lex is gonna kill me :o)
    RB20DET.
    Split rim 18's.
    Nismo strut braces front and rear.
    BOV.
    Blitz induction kit.
    Turbo timer.
    HKS stainless exhaust.
    Paddle clutch.
    Electric windows, mirrors and sunroof - working!
    Air conditioning.
    Standard interior - good condition.
    Rear spats.
    Standard spoiler.

I didn't plan to get a 4WD car but I know you can still skid them by fitting a switch to turn the front diff, Hicas and ABS off. That will make it safer on the road which is good. The car was never going to be stripped out so I don't mind the compromise. The lock isn't as good as a GTST but can be improved upon slightly I am told.

Plan to fit a decent drivers seat with some proper support. I will see how the GTS4 suspension holds up before looking into coilovers. I am told it may be the GTR set up? Was going to go for a snap off boss and a dished wheel. However, as I am a short arse with the addition of a boss and dish I am sure my head will be pressed against the horn button!?? The split rims are leaking air like a sieve unfortunately which gives me a good excuse to buy some luverly Rota GTRs in bronze :thumbs: when funds allow. In the mean time I am looking for some cheap wheels with rubber to get me about on without spending 20p on air every journey... Some graphics will no doubt make it on to the car, maybe a URAS kit when I have smashed up the standard bumper! :wack:

You can see in the pics the near side has had a bit of paint, could do with a proper mop, the rear offside quarter has been repaired also in the same manner. It's a 20 year old car so it goes with the territory. Passed an HPI check so nothing major as far as I can tell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ian. :D

#1 Blackett, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. ducatichick

ducatichick Drift Spice

Cool to see you're getting the bug :) Hurry up and ditch the 4wd.

Plenty of fun for you ahead :D

3. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Bought some R32 GTR rims with Bridgestone rubber for £250 to get me around on until I can afford some Rota GTRs. Then I can smoke the Bridgestones up in the future at DWYB. :cool:

Edit: Turns out they are only GTST rims, doh! They're going back to the seller!

#3 Blackett, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Visited DW forum member Sneeze to let him give the car a once over and his opinion on it. Discovered a few more issues. The previous owner has cut the wires to make the car RWD permanently rather than fit a switch, doh! This in turn has disabled the Hicas (no bad thing) and the ABS which is not good for road use. I am going to investigate where the chop was made to see if I can fit a switch instead, to give me drift and road modes.

Edit: Gave the fusebox a once over today, relocated the 4WD fuse and replaced two missing ones. Either way the 4WD is back, still need to check the ABS on a bit of damp road to see if it's up and running now. :D

We carried out an oil and oil filter change and topped up various fluid levels. Oil pressure is a bit healthier now as well.

On Sean's test drive we visited a piece of private road where Sean tested the level of rear grip ;) it seemed that the rear could easily be provoked into a drift! :thumbs:

I have sourced some genuine R32 GTR rims and some GTR seats which I should be picking up tomorrow if all goes well.

#4 Blackett, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Bought an R32 GTR bonnet with Nismo lip (in silver) and a pair of R32 GTR seats. I'm also got some HKS coilovers on their way :smokin:. May have to play at DWYB next week :nod:.

#5 Blackett, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. ducatichick

ducatichick Drift Spice

ABS=the devil :nod:

My 1 and only meeting with the fence @ pod was a result of ABS....

7. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Fitted my R32 GTR front seats to the car a little while ago, definite improvement when chucking the car about. Ditched Halfords gear knob in favour of a nice Black Nismo one. Noticed some vibration on the front and had the front drive shafts removed to give me permanent RWD. :smokin: That's as far as the mods went until today.

Just had my HKS Hyper D coilovers fitted by Chunk and Ant at DB Automotive :thumbs: 07870 996702 for all your drift preparation needs. Also managed to pick up an R32 GTR 2 way diff which they fitted nicely due to my car being a GTS4 :wack:

Took it out for a spin and she is ready for Mallory, one of the front shocks is knocking a bit so might require some new seals and a top up in the near future before it completely does my head in.

Chunk highlighted something I was aware of the clutch pedal box is knackered and requires a new one and the dump valve is :wack: and requires putting back to standard! I think I am a bit too old for the constant whoosh noise anyway. :nod:

I will have a go at Mallory and then see what else needs doing then back in to Chunks for some more mods! ;)

8. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

awesome dude, look forward to BPR32 chase cam vids! I've got an S14 pedal and assoc. bits if you need em mate. Your welcome to have em :thumbs:

9. magicmat

magicmat Active Member

looks good fella...more pictures ! :)

And mallory is going to be great !

10. V-con Pro

V-con Pro Active Member

getting a gts4 over a gtst is a good idea really...stronger gearbox,diff,axels,larger sump etc good car to start with.

11. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Went along to Rotorstock hoping that someone might give me a ride in my car around the taxi arena. However, due to the lack of passengers I was allowed to have a go at drifting my car for the first time. I learnt how to do donuts and figure eights in Sean Sneeze's R33 a year ago and hoped to get a car of my own to drift in sooner but it didn't happen. Firstly Lex took me out to show me what the car could do. He knows what he's doing and gave it plenty of stick showing there's not much wrong with drifting a GTS4! :no: He also highlighted a few problems with the car. Then I wa left to show what I could do. Had a go at some wand entries which mostly resulted in a spin and Rob Crusader suggested some power over drifting to smooth everything out. That technique worked a treat and before too long I linked a couple of the bends.

I had a go on my own then Belinda jumped in to lend a hand. She talked me through clutch kicking, throttle control and the correct line to take around the course. I managed to link about two thirds of the course on one run which was amazing. Belinda then gave me a passenger ride in her Castrol 32 to show me how it's really done. :worthy:

[​IMG]

All the taxi drivers took their cars over to the handling course to set some times leaving the taxi arena empty. So Belinda jumped in with Paula (who had never driven the 32) to give her an impromptu lesson. After lots of shouting and being really strict the message got through and Paula lit the tyres up (better than I did). :o

[​IMG]

Can't wait to have another go, at Mallory tomorrow! :thumbs:

12. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Problems removing Stock Steering Wheel

Went to Mallory (drifting) and DWYB (drifting) last week then to JDM Allstars (taking photos) on Sunday. :smokin:

Will have to put up reports on all that lot in due course.

In the mean time I decided to fit a Sparco dished wheel to my car yesterday and found it a bit difficult to get the stock one off. I had a good search around :dw: and Skyline Owners Forum and the best bit of advice I found was to leave the nut on slightly so when it comes loose it doesn't break your nose. :wack:

My wheel wouldn't budge no matter how hard I pulled it or even if I whacked the back of it with a mallet! :o

Called a friend who suggested that I use my knees and hit the nut/spline with a hammer, didn't work!

So my eventual method of removing said wheel was to use a bearing puller grabbing the inside of the horn push locating area and pushing down on the spline. Even then it took quite a few turns and came loose with a large crack as 20 years of metal corrosion came free. :nod:

Hicas boss went on and wheel looks ace, I was worried the dish might put the wheel up round my ear holes but it's fine. :thumbs:

13. magicmat

magicmat Active Member

Glad to hear you got there, steering wheels can be a nightmere! Had similar problems with a mini steering wheel, but leaving the nut on is a good tip !

Btw you going to be at mallory on 14th Oct? Guna reply to your email shortly.

Cheers

Matt

14. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

It's not just me then. :no: Stock wheel weighs in at 2 1/2 kilos as well! :eek: Sparco is much lighter. :thumbs:

Yep, I am going to every FCD:MP and the ODC finals at Mallory on 30th September.

15. magicmat

magicmat Active Member

Cool,

You drifting at the october one or taking photos all day?

16. ducatichick

ducatichick Drift Spice

When I changed mine I had forgotten about this and proceeded without leaving the nut on.....needless to say I will NEVER forget again :S

17. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

50/50 or dorifto crashu then photos for the rest of the day whilst wiping away the tears! :cry:

18. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

This evening I decided to go flush on my boot for two reasons:

1. It's looks nice and smooth.

2. The spolier with intergrated led brake light was weighing my boot down enough to keep causing it to shut, often into the back of my head! :wack:

Now need some rubber grommets to fill the holes.

New number plate is going on tomorrow: D2 WYB :cool: As inspired by Steve Whitbread's black R32: D1 WYB.

19. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

The BPR32 took part in some JDM Allstars licensing today at Silverstone. Ben (Sea Squirrel) unfortunately broke his car and asked me if he could use mine. Against just about everyone else's advice I agreed, because the car is supposed to be used for drifting and there wasn't too much to hit if he got it wrong. :wack:

The car stood up to some punishment and after a few spins Ben was pretty consistent through the whole course in it. It was good to get some feedback about future tweaks to make it more drifty. :dw:

Had a go on Luke Fink's mate's BMX and did the only stunt I know, riding backwards no handed and nearly got run over by a van, no brakes FTW!

20. R32Drifter

R32Drifter Member

nice clean R32 there dude! wish mine was this tidy!