Timmy's FC3S the story and rebuild

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Timmy, May 2, 2011.

1. Timmy

Timmy Member

Hey everyone :wave:

I've been lurking about here for a while and admiring the amazing work people are doing so thought id post up my build.

In the past i've built a turbo charged mx5, had an egi fc, a ca18det powered capri but the lure of another rx7 was always there so i ended up with another fc but this time a t2 with various extras and seemed like a good base to start from.

[​IMG]

Rebuilt engine, new rotor housings
    Racing Beat 2.5inch downpipe and pre-silencer
    3inch single exit
    Ported Wastegate
    Re Amemiya chipped ECU, Map for 0.9 bar boost, more agressive timing
    Exceedy Organic Clutch
    K&N Air Filter
    Air pump removed
    Power steering cooler pipe replaced with oil cooler
    AFR Gauge
    Kei Office Coilovers
    Front strut brace
    Rear strut Brace
    Rear steer eliminators
    Welded diff
    Shine Auto Front lip
    Lightweight Aluminium bonnet

236 bhp, 211 ft lb

also the parts that were included or i had lying at home

Origin front wide arches
    Origin Rear overfenders
    Apexi AVC-R boost controller
    HKS additional injector controller and driver
    Intercooler and piping with samco hoses and greddy inlet plenum
    Battery relocation box
    Shine Auto Rear roof spoiler
    Front polybush kit
    Steering wheel boss
    Oil pressure guage
    Water Temp gauge
    Advan 3 spokes
    Cobra evolution bucket
    Sparco rev bucket
    3 inch 6 point sparco harnesses
    Additional injector inlet manifold
    momo concept dished wheel

On my previous egi i had had advans for a while so i had been there and done that so swapped them for a set of 18s and also snapped the front splitter within a week of having the car, was gutted, cable ties are a wonderful thing though ;) despoilered it at the same time

while bringing the car back up the road there were a few nasty noises so on the monday i took it to work to fix things i had gave it a blast with the steam cleaner and promptly blew all the paint off the back end, things werent going right with this project already.

[​IMG]

while i was looking for new coilovers i was also on the hunt for wheels and got a set of rota gtrs 17 x 9.5 et12 all round

[​IMG]

they could be with a refurb but wasnt too worried as they sat nice and fitted perfect with the wider front wings

[​IMG]

so rolled with them for a while, still sourcing parts, got my painter contacted about a respray and decided to order the bn sports blister kit from ep racing so i could get that on with the wider rear quarters and get the whole lot sprayed and looking tasty

while waiting for the kit i had a bit of an impulse buy and got a dmax vented carbon bonnet to get rid of the gash looking red one and an offset numberplate bracket and square plate

[​IMG]

I was liking the way it was looking and the way my little project was heading in the right direction but the delivery of the bn kit was holding things up, after contacting ep racing a few times they told me the fc parts due to come to this country had not been put in the container so it would be another 4 weeks from then before it was here, fair enough i thought, 4 weeks later nothing arrived, phoned them again, they said it had left the docks a week previous to this call, okay its on its way that was cool, then the tsunami hit and the whole of japan plunged into chaos, contacted them a few weeks after the disaster and they said the boat hadnt been able to leave the docks, yet they told me it had already left a week before the tsunami hit? i was confused.com but didnt argue as i didnt want to be insensitive as a lot had happened but to this day i still dont know if im getting the kit or not or where it is? lol

used the car for a while, and broke the splitter some more, fitted a couple of aftermarket gauges and steering wheel, messed about with bucket seats trying a few different types to see what suited me and suited the car, still havent decided properly lol

gave her a clean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

still thought it was looking sweet :) i like the rough round the edges look

[​IMG]

as my bodykit had still not arrived and i didnt want to fit the rear overfenders or spray the car without it and after contacting a member on here about parts i made another impulse decision . . . and one little trip to blackpool later i acquired this . . .

[​IMG]

was over the moon as i had always admired this car, it was legendary in my eyes and had aspired to build mine to something like this, also a little sad as it would mean my car would never get finished as it would now be a form of donor car for this one, but fuck it i can eventually put my own stamp on this if i decide too, saves my the cost of spraying and worrying about the bn kit.

finally got it home after 400 miles driving

[​IMG]

decided to see what the garage bb wing would look like on my car

[​IMG]

decided i looked better on the team green car and got to work and as the rotas were running low on rubber i put them on as well and tidied up the inside a bit and took some photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

put the dmax bonnet on as well

[​IMG]

gutted the garage out in preperation to strip it down then got her inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

didnt want to strip it down as it looked so good, it had to be done though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all front and rear suspension and subframes out and stripped the parts im keeping will be sandblasted this week and the welding will also be tackled this week then the underside undersealed while the white car is brought in and stripped down then the suspension from it sent to get blasted also

after a lot of drama the coilovers arrived and the locking collars were seized solid!

[​IMG]

so this weekend i had my gorgeous girlfriend in a boiler suit that was far to big for her rubbing down the engine bay in preparation for paint hopefully in the next 2 weeks

[​IMG]

while she was doing that i unseized the locking collars on the coilovers and tidied all the wiring in the engine bay, i also removed the sealer around the seams as when i have the welder out and no engine in i'll seam weld the bay and maybe make up a few strengthening plates

so watch this space as there is a lot more to come :)

2. identiti

identiti Member

Good too see this shell in action again gona be epic all over again! I would kill for your work space too!

You going to be putting a rotary lump in her still?

3. Timmy

Timmy Member

Yeah I couldn't let it go to waste ;) hopefully I'll do it justice will just need to see what it turns out like, yeah I'm lucky to have the space so might as well put it to use :)

Deff staying rotary, love the engines, had been considering 20b but I don't think I could afford it just now

4. B.Martin

B.Martin Member

Awesome... Looks like thats going to be real fun!

5. m1tch

m1tch Member

Was wondering who got Phil's FC shell lol I have the engine, rad and IC from it lol

6. Millar

Millar Active Member

that is a dream project, you lucky bugger haha

7. II TimmiTwoMillTurnover II

II TimmiTwoMillTurnover II Darkside Warrior

Oooh I like this. Subscribed yo

8. the hat

the hat Active Member

yes nice one mate if your selling either the roof spolier or the bb wing let me know as i need something on the back of my fc and ill have those mirror triangles posted out too you on monday

9. Chris7

Chris7 Member

very nice mate good work !

10. Timmy

Timmy Member

thought id update while im at my lunch,

yeah ive got my hands on the shell now ;) and im a veeeeeeery lucky bugger millar :D

sorry stuart i wont be silling them any time soon as ive always want
    ed the bb wing and the top lip spoiler just sets the whole car off nicely,

welding been started on the o/s sill today and looking better, more rubbing down and more stripping of the engine bay as well, got the paint sitting waiting now so will post pics up later of what shes looking like :)

11. Millar

Millar Active Member

you going to be trying to squeeze a bit more power out of the engine once its in?
    I'm looking for an fc at the moment, as got quoted cheaper insurance on one than my 520!

12. Timmy

Timmy Member

i am indeed :) ive got parts sitting for the engine and going to be doing a v mount setup but i'll go into that more when im at that stage

i must say my insurance is a good price also :)

13. Millar

Millar Active Member

nice one, cant wait to see how this comes out

14. Timmy

Timmy Member

cheers man

finished the welding on the o/s

before

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

and a little photo of the engine bay partly rubbed down

[​IMG]

15. Millar

Millar Active Member

how much of thw white 7 will be left? rolling shell?

16. Timmy

Timmy Member

Rolling shell but I have aftermarket body panels and wheels suspension etc spare so a widebody shell with no engine and interior could be negotiable, pm me if your interested

17. Millar

Millar Active Member

you have pm. could do with an engine in it really, as i would possibly use it as a daily, but depends when available really, cause could be running the e21 by then so it wouldnt matter.

18. Timmy

Timmy Member

got a little more done last night, seam welded the engine bay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the white car has been in for a little while also, the rear subframe is out and stripped and the interior was taken out last night as well by my better half

[​IMG]

just need to prime and paint engine bay then underseal the underside

19. Scooby J

Scooby J Member

looking good dude.

20. TommyS2000

TommyS2000 Member

Im guessing the girlfriend is good at rubbing things ;)
    Looking forward to seeing your progress!
    I think I prefer the white one though!