RAWmotorsport / Warranty Direct S14 BDC Spec with BMW 4L V8

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Sticklin, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sticklin

Sticklin Member

So I started stripping the S14, its currently in this state and have sold parts from the engine and other random bits.. with no interest in the shell I thought why sell it for peanuts, considering it had an AWESOME cage, no rust and every suspension part under the sun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then team mate Mr Jamie Kay, who drives the other blue warranty Direct sponsored S14, came round to get everything prepped and ready for taking out the SR20.

[​IMG]

The New Engine

So, we took a trip to Matt (blitz the dog on here) who drives for Team GDA in the supercharged E46 330 to collect it. I bought the M60 4L V8 commonly found in the E34 540.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting it into the van was easy.. getting it out with just a bit of rope, some wood and 3 of us was not!! Its now sitting in the garage ready to go into the bay of the 14!!!

The Build

I will update on each and every little thing as I go, what problems we come across, what modification has to be done etc etc.

The car will be heading down to Rob @ RAWmotorsport in the next few weeks where work will start!

Rob really wants to turbocharge the engine, however initially i want to get out drifting and enjoy it!

Udates to follow, its sure going to be cool! thanks for looking.

Rob

:thumbs:

2. Sticklin

Sticklin Member

massive fail with typo in title!! :(

3. PhillE30

PhillE30 Member

Hurry up an turbo it, so then I can see if you blow it up and turbo mine!

4. galls_s14a

galls_s14a Member

what happened to the sr to make you park the car up/not fix it?

5. Sticklin

Sticklin Member

I needed more power from the SR which meant bigger injectors, Z32, ECU, remap... the lsit went on looking at well into the thousand mark... I did not have that much money and needed to pay some off so decided to strip it, sell some stuff and make as much back as i could.

going with the NA V8, was cheap to buy and will be fitted for me by a sponsor at a cheaper price than tuning an SR..

Simples.

Oh and did someone say the noise?

6. bigrichy

bigrichy Team Beard

I pondered doing this a few months back, be interesting to see how straight forward it is! 286bhp straight of the bat? Should be fun with a few bolt on noise improvers!

7. Sticklin

Sticklin Member

Yeh 286bhp but with breathing mods and proper exhaust etc your looking at 300bhp and 300ft/lb torque.

Not the highest figures, but with power the whole way through the rev range, It will be ideal for drifting!

Coupled with a decent suspension setup.. it will be awesome!

:thumbs:

8. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

may i be the first to congratulate you on putting in a huge amount of work in to end up with the same power as an SR with the boost turned up slightly. However it's much lighte.. oh oops.

9. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

nice build and cant wait to hear it but i just dont understand the gain mate?

with an sr to acheive 350-400 with torque to match is not that difficult and certainly not that expensive..

still a very cool build though ;)

10. GB / John

GB / John NDC Runner Up 2012

SR/RB's are gay and unreliable, v8's are awesome. ;)

11. tommahawk

tommahawk Active Member

Like your style

12. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

Yes an SR can be matched for power and be lighter, but a part of drifting is being different. Rob and I have pondered over V8s for awhile, the initial idea with this car is to get it all working, iron out the kinks and look at forced induction so very much a work in progress.
    For my car I'm looking at an LS2, depending on a few things you may find build up soonish for it. We'll see!

13. jap-si

jap-si Active Member

are you having fun doing what you are doing?

14. Sticklin

Sticklin Member

may i be the first to say that..

1) I needed to spend over £1000 on the SR to get it to a reliable and responsive 300bhp.

2) I have MADE money by doing this conversion as I am doing it all myself with a good mate / sponsor from RAW motorsport in southampton. Selling the SR, Turbo, exhaust bits, electronic boost controller etc etc etc gave me £££ the V8 for everything cost me eff all.

3) Every other S14 has a SR.

4) The noise.

So I congratulte myself..

:wave:

15. jankes

jankes Member

V8 FTW, that V8 will beat same power sr20 all day long, its got power everywhere not just after 3k rpm when turbo start spooling up , and its got alloy block to so its not that heavy as you think lol

16. Sticklin

Sticklin Member

im having LOADS of fun. Ive made money to pay off some debts, have done ALL the work so far in my own garage with mates, have learnt loads as previous to this I was usless at anything mechanical :D

so all in all, awesome :)

17. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

My AE86 has an SR.... How does that make u feel! :wave: lol

18. jankes

jankes Member

i understand you mate, been at same place, for price of brand new turbo as old give up i bought whole e34 540i manual and i dont bother about engine anymore i finally can focus developing my skills not thinking about problems with engine etc

19. jap-si

jap-si Active Member

not what i was getting at. mitto is telling you that the fun you are having, doing your own thing is actually the wrong fun, and you should do it his way, after he just posted a vid where a drifting god, tells us the most important thing in this game is to have fun and enjoy ourselves.

i use to hate on sr conversions. now.... if it makes you enjoy your car more.... knock yourself out.

20. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

Mitto and anyone else wondering why you'd even bother is rite in the fact that replacing the SR for a slightly heavier engine with 300bhp / 300lbft doesn't make sense. But Rob doesn't have the pocket to rebuild his SR for 300+ bhp and wants to be different, so in that respect it does make sense. Each to their own. I'm currently split on 430bhp 400lbft from a LS2 or build an SR !