Minty.Fresh Franken'14

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Jites, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Jites

Jites Active Member

Hey guys, been working on this car for about a year now and thought I'd chuck up a build thread because it's a little interesting because its not done often

I bought the vertex kitted silvia last year which had an SR20DE engine with a turbo conversion tuned by Tanuma Body in Japan. It now has a DET block. I was warned by just about everyone to stay away but for some reason I couldn't resist getting it, it's not everyday you see this and if it all went pop a new sr isn't too expensive to get hold of so fuck it, it was mine.

The spec when bought was:

Random Nissan branded turbo, smaller than a t28 welded to manifold
    HKS intercooler
    HKS chump valve
    S15 injectors - Red topped but tbc
    DE ignition, cams and throttle body
    Chipped DE ecu - had a sticker on it which read 2530 pos originally mapped for the HKS turbo?
    Trust Oil Cooler
    Adjustable actuator
    Tubular manifold
    Custom turbo elbow, down pipe and de-cat
    Blitz Nür Spec
    Rota torques - 17x8.5j iirc front and 17x9.5 rear
    Gready boost gauge
    Momo steering wheel
    Fat bastard spec recaro - way to big for me, anyone want to swap for a fixed bucket?
    R32 Centre gauges
    Hideous OEM bonnet with evo3 vents poorly fitted/stuck on
    Shity mirror tints
    Vertex front and rear bumper and fucking rank Mission side skirts

Will post licks up later

#1 Jites, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. Jites

Jites Active Member

This is the day after i picked it up. Notice the missing vent, flew off just before getting home.
    [​IMG]
    The Dizzy! :euge:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Got a new vent
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car wasnt really running right when i got it but a new set of £20 leads and new plugs sorted it out.

Once it was running right i got to work sorting outs its problems.

Turbo was binned for a T28
    Coilovers changed for HSD's with the DW handling pack
    Disks and pads changed, just got cheap frodo pads and oem disks
    Picked up enkei 17x9 et22 all round to refurb
    Added front and rear lower braces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    New wheels
    Rears
    [​IMG]
    Fronts
    [​IMG]
    That was over a year ago and so far they look like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Piss poor effort I know!

Couple more photos from when i got it sorted early this year
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 Jites, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  3. Jites

Jites Active Member

The clutch went two weeks before my first drift day at crail so got an exedy paddle clutch from here and swapped it over with the help of a friend and a few beers. just in time to get it bedded in in time didnt like getting the top bolt on the gearbox back much though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found out that it was an oem clutch, probably the original as it died quickly!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made it down to crail but this is the only photo i took there as i was out on track all day. :smash: Note the criminal offset :(
    [​IMG]

Luckily i found some pics of me out there, not gonna lie, it was my first time on track so i wasnt very good but by the end of the day i was just starting to get the hang of it. so much fun, totally hooked now!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car has never ran right since i got it, it had a boost leak and the map didnt suit the setup. I took it to my a rolling road to get it checked out
    [​IMG]

These were the results:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 Jites, Sep 18, 2011
  4. powellx234

powellx234 Member

Oh man thats baad. Maybe you should listen to everybody. But goodluck in getting it sorted none the less! :thumbs:

5. powellx234

powellx234 Member

oops. delete post

6. Clive

Clive Active Member

200bhp@ the wheels aint bad for what it is!!

torque looks like shit up top end!!

boost looks good

AFR looks lean through the mid range, need to be careful as SR20DE are high compression, like 10;1 iirc! dont take too well to knock!! probably mapped for jap fuel as well....

also the "Turbo was binned for a T28" did you get a remap after? might of been a t25 or t25g on there before...

sr20det block, ECU and loom, £500-700...

#6 Clive, Sep 18, 2011
  7. the hat

the hat Active Member

it came wih a skyline turbo welded too the manifold which just leaked and the ctuator wasnt even connected so hes done a great job so far

8. Jites

Jites Active Member

Yip, that map was real bad and I went for the T28 as i didnt know what block was in there, but it has to be a turbo block as it was hitting 1.1bar all day long with the T28 and still going! But really, the only big problem which as it turns out was only the map.

The map on there is fo a much bigger turbo going by what Herman from HT Developments thinks, very lean down low, rich up top and very conservitave timing I was told by someone off a forum who knew the car it should have a turbo block as the old one went pop and an HKS turbo which wast on it when i got hold or it. A remap was first on my list of things to do with it!

Cheers for the comments, but yeah clive, i was thinking if it all goes tits up a new engine isnt to expensive but like i said, its an interesting setup ;)

9. Dunkz

Dunkz Garage LSD

You've said in the first post its an sr20de with a turbo on it but I thought last time we looked at it it was decided it was in fact a complete sr20det just with the de ignition sytem? or is that not the case? :)

10. Jites

Jites Active Member

THought it was a full na conversoin but yeah, you pointed out that the block at least has had to have been changed. The head and cams are most likely from the DE

11. Clive

Clive Active Member

How bigs the Ecu? My SR20DE was halt the size of a det one!

Oh and double check the injectors... My de ones was a very close colour to s15 squirters,

De red, s15 a brownie red.. should be a code stamped on the top of them to help identity...

#11 Clive, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  12. Jites

Jites Active Member

It came with the half size ecu with a chip.

Will double check but they do look like s15, arent the de ones tiny like 280cc? if that were the case i doubt they would be because they still had lots to give when i got it mapped, they werent close to maxing out. The intercooler was leaky and there was a hole in the boost pipe aboout the size of a 5p

13. Jites

Jites Active Member

As you can see from above the map was useless so something had to be done.

The problem with the setup like this is no one makes off the shelf products for that ECU. I gave Herman a call and he came up with a short term solution just to have the car run a safe map.

I had a type 3 nistune board, with wasnt compatable with the half size ecu but, it did suport the NA ecu from a PS13. The PS13 ecu doesnt support the VVT but waas plug and play with the nistune so i picked up a cheap PS ecu and took it round to Hermans for a 'safe' map just to have it running right

Found this written on the bracket for the ECU, I have been told it says 'Tanuma Body' and my guess is it was tuned by them before it came to our shores
    [​IMG]

The new map sorted out the piss poor fueling and transformed the car comletely, even though i lost a lot of low end the torque it now makes up top and the general better drivabiity all round make it worth while until the loom and igniton get swapped for DET items later this year. No graphs as it was done on the road but using a formula go a rough power output of 240hp at the fly, not to bad but room for improvement.

New carbon fiber rear strut brace went in, made more of a difference than i though it would!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bonnet wasr really getting on my tits so i manged to pick up a GP Sports OEM item from a friend,
    Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jites

Jites Active Member

Got ready for the next drift day
    [​IMG]

Then ran out of skill on my second run :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to work with a drill and zip ties, i really miss having a clean looking car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damage so far:
    Boost pipe totally screwed
    front bumper
    side skirt
    driver headlight and indicator
    dent in door
    tie tod
    ego

I managed to stitch it back to gether, kind of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. HermaN

HermaN Member

It is a half sized ECU as you can see from the pics below, also came with a daughter board running 2 EPROMs. Pics below.

Compared to a normal S14a SR20DET ECU...

[​IMG]

Opened up, you can see the daughter board with 2 EPROMs...

[​IMG]

2x Ostriches which will be used to remap the ECU so Dave can get his VVT back until he moves over to a COP setup and proper S14a SR20DET ECU....

[​IMG]

As for the injectors, from looking at the logs they were only at 63% IDC, so still have plenty to give. Stock SR20DE injectors (270cc) will be at 100% IDC at under 200 BHP.

The car is no longer running as per those graphs above, it has now got a S13 SR20DE ECU which has been mapped with more sensible AFR's and conservative timing as a temp so the car could be driven safely. Only downside of this is that there is no VVT with the S13 SR20DE ECU, hence we will be remapping the half-sized ECU until the COP conversion is completed.

#15 HermaN, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  16. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Can't understand why you're still messing around and throwing money at the botched setup.

Do this and it'll run a safe 280 odd bhp all day long.

17. HermaN

HermaN Member

Not really a boched setup as you put it, just being done in stages. The block is already from an SR20DET, the S14a DET ECU in the above pic is his ECU and he has most of the loom stuff, but he needs time to put it together.

The S13 SR20DE ECU was a temp measure to make the car run safe immediately after he had it on the rollers and getting the above graphs, remapping the half-sized ECU is to get his VVT back and again will just be a safe map, not a full custom remap.

The COP conversion will be getting done over winter and will be fully mapped with the DET ECU once that's in place, then it will be job done. :)

18. Jites

Jites Active Member

Thanks Herman, you can always explain things better than me. Basically it's just been a tIme issue getting parts and sorting out other things. The car runs fine as is but without vvt and tbh I don't like fixing what isn't broken if that makes sense? I know it's not running to its full potential but it runs well. It's a drift car at the end of the day and don't want to throw to much cash at it at this stage.

Besides its kind of fun messing around with stuff thats not costing me anything really. Like Herman says when the car comes off the road this year it will be getting everything swapped over and done right when i can finally get some time to do it. it's just running in a 'safe' setup until then :)

#18 Jites, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  19. Clive

Clive Active Member

ok cool, still doing it arse about face imo.

all this hassle of conservative maps etc, cost time and money,,

if its got the sr20det block, just use a cas, coilpacks and a s14a (or a s14 loom...) with an ecu to suit, then the nistune so you can run the s15 injectors! :)

20. mint

mint touch my fruit

Herman does the mapping so if it is costing it wont be much, plus we do this shit for fun not because it had to be done clive ;) If we all followed the sheep the pen would be full pal.

Good shit though Jites. Look forward to more pics. Get the one up of the snapped arm.