project wish i never started! s13 drift build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by sparky_s13, Jun 11, 2012.

1. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Well I have owned the car for over 3 months now and its getting to how I want it so thought its time to start a build thread.

The car was advertised on here and when searching for a s13 I came across it, it looked familiar and I inquired about it and turns out it was local to me and I had seen it about so I went and checked it out. It needed quite a bit of work but had the fundamentals for a good base, 90% rust free shell, stage 2 with t28, coilovers, adjustable arms, 5stud conversion with 4pots and 2pots, bucket seat and loads of other mods which to me was a good start.

Pictures I took when viewing the car.
    IMG_0001.
    IMG_0002.

After I bit of negotiating I got it for a price I was happy to pay so I bought it. When I got home that night took a sneaky pic for facebook

IMG_0012.

So yea the first thing you do to a new car is clean it and have a good look over it so here is some pictures after a clean.

IMG_0024.
    IMG_0023.
    IMG_0022.
    IMG_0025.
    IMG_0028.

Carbon tailgate and carbon GTR spoiler
    IMG_0073.

I knew from the start the diff needed replacing so that was the first thing to do, came across this skyline 4.3 welded diff with solid bushes and shafts so went and paid the Kyouto boys a visit and picked it up

IMG_0079.
    IMG_0216.
    IMG_0217.

Sealed the back plate on and filled it with some of the good stuff
    IMG_0218.

And set about fitting it all

IMG_0262.

As the car was on axle stands and I wanted to change the appearance of the car to make it my own (not to keen on the stealth look) I decided to sell the 18x10 Rota's and get some 17's, my heart was set on XXR 527's and with a long waiting list I managed to find a set second hand seeing as I had a colour change in mind for them anyway

IMG_0342.

One wheel rubbed down ready for the new colour

IMG_0348.

And painted

IMG_0380.

Fat wheels need some fat arches so again hunting driftworks I came across these fenders, ChargeSpeed +25mm fronts and Magic Aero +50mm rears, should do nicely

IMG_0171.

Again to get rid of the stealth appearance there was no other option than to get some kouki lights

Some more goodies including the kouki lights

IMG_0337.

And fitted, just waiting on some bulb holders so I can make a loom up as I refuse to pay £75 for kouki looms!

IMG_0338.

Also decided on a hydraulic handbrake and remove the ABS while I was at it so here is the engine bay before, quite cluttered and dirty.

IMG_0256.

And ABS removed

IMG_0257.

And my handbrake being mocked up

IMG_0396.

handbrake fitted with new dildo gear knob

IMG_0411.
    IMG_0410.

2. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Removing the front bumper was a pain and I have NO patience when working with rusty/rounded/snapped bolts so I turned into the hulk and this happened needed a new front bumper anyway lol

[​IMG]

So then I got this Norris designs bumper off a mate for free, well I couldnt accept it so I gave him a buckets seat and s13 rail for it

[​IMG]

Set about fitting come quick release catches to it then for ease of removal/fitting and ended up looking like this, nothing is aligned properly yet but its looking good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decided to get some more suspension parts and ended up buying DW lower control arms aswell as the tension rods bought previously.

[​IMG]

So got on with fitting them, and of course you always get one seized bolt so had to cut my arm and bolt off

[​IMG]

Made sure my tensions arms were nice and free so took them apart and copper greased them before fitting

[​IMG]

All fitted

[​IMG]

Had a rocker cover gasket leak so decided to spruce up the rocker covers while I was at it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Noticed my lambda sensor loom was broke so got a new plug and soldered that in

[​IMG]

Inevitably the standard clutch will give up soon so got this bad boy ready

[​IMG]

Noticed my track rod end was damaged so decided to upgrade to the Japspeed arms

[​IMG]

Also snapped a droplink on the DB power ARB when changing the LCA's so got some new ones

[​IMG]

My seat was nackered and needed replacing so I came across this and I kept the Takata out of my Starlet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also recieved a suprise with the seat, TNT accidentally dropped this lot off to me

[​IMG]

An RB26 Greddy TD06 20G twin turbo kit!!!! Luckily (for the guy) it was signed for and im a genuine person so he came and collected it all the next day but I had to try it on the CA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally manned up and got my old man to cut my rear arches out!

[​IMG]

All stich welded and grinded, undersealed ready for the over fenders to go on

[​IMG]

Then over fenders fitted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Needed to be lowered massively so that was next, had one seized coilover to deal with first but lowered it another 50mm in the end.

[​IMG]

And how it looked

[​IMG]

back on its wheels

[​IMG]

Just waiting on these bad boys now for the rear

[​IMG]

Garage filling up nicely with skid rims and tyres

[​IMG]

Got some custom verniers and an extra exhaust cam for the inlet side waiting to go in

[​IMG]

Been running diagnostics on the ECU so decided to take it apart to confirm what chip it has, anyone know what make this is?

[​IMG]

So yea it doesnt run great (faulty temperature sensor) so now I am waiting on that to get it running mint and then its off for alignment and hopefully be ready for the drift day at pembrey on the weekend!

At the moment Forza will have to do! :p

[​IMG]

4. grant s

grant s Member

good work so far like it

5. E4ordy

E4ordy New Member

Nice Car, WOW you've got a few tyres there

6. olliethrwollie

time for the tri oval sparky

7. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Cheers guys and yes Ollie I am trying mate gonna be close!

You skidding?

Just been back out and put my cleaned up air regulator on as I thought it was causing my misfire

[​IMG]

Thermostat housing is back on and a few other bits and pieces but I couldnt get my temperature sensor out, a deep 19mm wasnt quite long enough how did other people get theirs out?

8. Jamie D

Jamie D // NO DREAMING //

making some good progress there mate!

did like it stealthy but seeing the wheels fitted its winning me over, going to look very smart.

pm'd you regarding your old black smoked lights as well fella

9. GTS GAV

GTS GAV Active Member

Top work spark, like your choice of wheel colour also ; )
    Look forward to seing this progress!

10. Tim200s13

Tim200s13 Member

looks good mate, also a fan of the stealth look but this looks good when slammed, top work

11. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

Good work Sparky :) Glad your getting there with it.

12. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Cheers guys its getting there just hope its ready for the weekend!

13. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Temperature sensor is fitted and working, still runs a little bit rough but not half as bad when warm, its saying CAS fault but I have tested the CAS and its fine, there maybe a problem in the circuitry which I am trying to trace.

Anways took some pictures, fitted my seat properly, put my harness in place (still need eye bolts) and also wired up my sleepy eye kit ( can see the control unit in the footwell attached to the tunnel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and yes it is a genuine recaro and takata :p

14. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Little update, some of my bulb holders turned up so I test fitted them and they fit so just gotta wait for a few more of the brown bulb holders to turn up then I can wire them in :)

[​IMG]

Also getting somewhere with my running issues, checked the ignition timing and it was a million miles out, even fully advanced I couldnt get any better so I will have to whip my timing belt covers off and check the belt timing tomorrow.

Goes MUCH better now just hesitates coming on boost and then pulls like a train! Its wet here so it went a bit sideways even off boost and felt good :p

15. Rhys_sx

Rhys_sx -NightWalkers-

Did u buy this from swansea fella

16. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Yea mate I was living in swansea at the time

17. hansen

hansen Member

mate you have done a good job so far! coming together! keep up the good work! just wish i could work on my KE its getting beyond a joke!

18. Mr III

Mr III Active Member

Lol at the RB26 turbo kit, that came off Simons R33GTR which he sold and was getting worried when it didnt get recieved by the new owner...lol.

Nice build. Same wheels and Rear fenders as mine.

Tony

19. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Funny thing is I will be going RB so thought it was my lucky day :p haha!

Yea it was going to Pro Imports in Holland they should have it now.

Cheers dude, how does yours look? Im wondering if my 25mm spacers will be enough, should be here tomorrow but I am away at Japshow all weekend so will get them fitted in the week aswell as my timing issue sorted.

20. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Had a few things turn up today

The rest of my bulb holders so now I can crack on wiring in the rear lights
    [​IMG]

And my ultralite 25mm spacers for the rear
    [​IMG]

Had a massive hold up today because in the one spacer the studs were too long so spent the day hack sawing them down which was a ball ache but finally got both fitted and it has transformed the car! I think I can go a bit wider once I have had my camber correction and alignment done but it looks good for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the trouble with the spacers I didnt have time to check my cambelt timing plus I have a rounded bolt to deal with on the cover so that will be tackled tomorrow.