Driftworks DW86 - Monster AE86

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by PhilMorrison, Oct 31, 2012.

1. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

BanzaiWheel1.

FULL BUILD PAGE HERE WITH OVER 200 PHOTOS AND VIDEOS ON ONE PAGE
    http://www.driftworks.com/dw86/

Lot's of people have been asking, so here's what we're doing :thumbs:

So yeah, don't be mistaken in thinking this is going to just be an AE86 with a V8 in it. The idea is for it to be a clean AE86 that's essentially a NASCAR with steering lock underneath. It will have v8, dogbox, drop gear live axle detroit locker, Ap brakes all round, and a huge amount more donated from the ASCAR.

Why not a GT86? Everyone else is doing that. It's one of those cars that's kind of for the big budget companies, and as we want to keep sponsorship as minimal as possible, there's no way we could budget for one.

Why an AE86 - They are live axle, they are massively light, and kind of couldn't be a more perfect car when we're using the ASCAR donor.

I'm sure there will be an anti V8 vibe, and to a certain extent I agree with them being a bit soulless, but they are unquestionably the right engine for a competitive drift car, and reliability is one of the most important criteria in the project.

Our neighbours Dynotorque will be doing the vast majority of the work on the car, and once they have the two cars next door, expect things to move pretty fast :thumbs:

The AE86, sitting there all purdy. Poor thing has no idea whats in store for it!
    IMG_001.

The ASCAR without it's dress on. Reminds me of the new Batmobile.
    IMG_002.

A view of the some of the insides.
    IMG_003.

AP racing brakes. These calipers are silly expensive! and fit under 15" wheels!
    IMG_004.

The oil tank for the dry sump. All these fittings are reusable and will probably save us a good £1k
    IMG_005.

Everyone that comes in to DW want's to sit here. I've no idea how anyone gets out in a hurry though!
    IMG_006.

Check out some of the detail in the arms, and the ARB brackets - Simple but effective.
    IMG_007.

Here you can just see the adjustment on the knuckle to make small changes to steering speed.
    IMG_008.

The heart. What we beleive is a relatively basic LS1 with a cam.
    IMG_009.

IMG_010.

This is really interesting - An adjustable panhard rod. It's not just adjustable in length. There's an adjuster inside the open tube that winds the mount point of the panhard up and down on the chassis.
    IMG_011.

Doorbars! Yes.
    IMG_012.

The tanks massive. Hopefully we'll be able to squeeze it in so we can use it as adjustable ballast.
    IMG_013.

#1 PhilMorrison, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

I wouldn't say a lumpy LS is soulless! Especially when they are running 102mm throttle body and Fast intake manifold. This thing is going to be awesome with the box and dry sump system! Would of been nice using a LS7 though

#2 -jamie-, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  3. Paz

Paz -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY- UK Drift Since 2001

Weight over the rear end limits traction too, they dont squat any weight onto the axle lol. Making your own axle mounting box's would rule though, can use all the links off the ASCAR Rear end and sit the axle exactly where it needs to be.. Be good to do some solid research, or better yet, testing on angling the diff too. Rally guys dip the nose, but a dude with a V8 one in Aus said he found it better when he raised the nose. Hm.

Do disc brakes fit under a dualy? I've only seen drums on vans lol.

4. Dex

Dex kut!

i think the 86 should look exactly like it does now

5. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

That's the plan. It's pretty much a perfect looking AE86 in my opinion (biased I know ;))
    Hu there will be virtually nothing left, but we'll be hanging the body upside down on the ceiling of one of our units for sure!

6. a sinnott

a sinnott Member

in the four years i have competed with my ae86, i have tried every setup you can think of with the standard 5 link mounts to get squat and good sideways grip.
    power steering manual steering everything on the front also, in the end my car was running 265,35,18 on the rear with around 420hp, it worked really well but was hard to steer it with all the grip in the rear.
    i still think the best all round setup the car had was when it was red 350hp on 15s with 920kg 205,50,15s on the rear it was a really good balance of power, weight and grip.

7. angrydan

angrydan raaage

remember all sinnot had a 400bhp sr 86 and he used 265/35/18's as anything smaller was to slow to compete!!!

i think sticking to 15's is a bad idea if the car is ment to have any kind of speed!!!

btw your crazy doing this man!!! :-)

8. jamesflanagan

jamesflanagan Member

isnt D-mac running 17's with over 500bhp

9. angrydan

angrydan raaage

yeah and 265/275's iirc

10. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

There's some momentum gathering here now. I should have some more interesting updates from next week.

Dan stripped some more parts off the car ready to go round next door:
    [​IMG]

Craig stripped the Ascar:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 86 now in place for a few days. The Dummy LS block is always on standby at Dynotorque. Believe it or not getting the engine in is probably going to be one of the easier jobs:
    [​IMG]

Part of one of the not so easy jobs:
    [​IMG]

We've also had a look to see what cam's in the engine and it's a bit weak, so we're about to order cam / heads and a load of other bits, and I'll be speaking to Jenvey about some lovely throttle bodies next week.

11. steveboiboi

steveboiboi Southern style!

fucking cage in the ascar! that rear axle doesnt look to fun to mount on the 86

12. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

The block looks about as big as a 4AGE in that pic lol thought it would of been a much tighter squeeze :nod:

13. bigrichy

bigrichy Team Beard

Good god, bring on the noise. :eek:

14. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

The Ascar is just a massive cage. It's such a work of art it's a shame not to use it, but we must remember the whole car is part of a bigger and better purpose :D

[​IMG]

15. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Time to get the Ascar shell out of the way for a while, and an opportunity to overcome my fear of heights :D. A tribute seen every time we walk into the second unit.

[​IMG]

16. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Hahaha that is brilliant

17. Turbobrix

Turbobrix New Member

Haha! im watching this!

18. bennett442

bennett442 Member

that ascar rear axle is a monster compared to the 86 diff

19. Darren McNamara

Darren McNamara SR86 pilot

Welcome to my world Phil:)

You have a lot of problems to overcome i could write an essay here

The more power you make the worse things will be for you

Your not building a rally car so doing what they do wouldnt be the best idea

U will need big wheels to put the power to the ground. The bigger the wheels the closer the axle needs to be to the floor to give you a decent ride height, thats the reason i didnt go with a quick change as quick change rear gears section to chassis clearance is nothing and you cannot cut the chassis out of the way. The bigger the rear wheels the bigger the front wheels need to be or you end up with the dragster look and you have lots of front weight then and poor weight transfer. The bigger the front wheels the worse the front clearance for steering angle and the wider the car needs to be therefore ruling out normal looking bodykits unless you run gay offset wheels but your wheel width might be still limited to something like 8inches then too

the v8 prob wont be that light either so the difference in front to rear unsprung weight has to be considered

you have lots to think about my friend and i answered your email, best of luck!!

20. paul mc monagl

paul mc monagl New Member

i though i was crazy mental project