Nissan 200sx S13 ongoing project - CrossShots

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by CrossOverPics, Nov 8, 2012.

1. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Nissan 200sx S13 ongoing project

After getting rid of my old 1993 BMW e36 325i and drifting it for over a year and a half at Norfolk Arena, it was time to change to a Nissan of sorts. Which was the plan all along.

So we found this bone stock 1992 K reg 200sx for sale from here on Driftworks from a very nice guy called Jay (drift_wally). It was very clean overall, no major scratches or dents, but it wasn't perfect. The only thing that was bothering me was there was a slight puff of blue smoke coming from the turbo and exhaust. It also had a suspected cracked manifold, which was resolved to be just a gasket. The smoke wasn't a lot, but was enough to bring out the smell of oil.

IMG_1993.

We got it home and gave it a thorough checking over and put on out OMP wheel from the old BMW. We couldn't find any faults in the engine, and surprisingly the turbo had stopped smoking. We kept it running for a while to see if it'll overheat. Which is didn't thankfully then called it a night and put it back into the Garage.

IMG_2024.

IMG_2032.

We came back the next day to find the smokey turbo had stopped smoking all together. Weird. We drove it to our Mechanic and had a good look at it ans came to the conclusion that when the Manifold gasket was taken off, there must have been some oil dripped on the turbo, causing it to slowly burn off and smoke. It's completely fine now. Drove it a good 15 miles there and back without any problems. Smelt a little rich though.

Well done little CA.

IMG_2018.

Not quiet sure what the exhaust is but it sounds alright surprisingly It's knocking about a bit but thats because it was being held on with just one rubber casing. Made sure it was fully secure and moved on.

IMG_2021.

Considering its a 20 year old car there isnt MUCH rust. Theres a little bit of surface rust on the bootlid, a little bit on the underside and just a patch under the carpets. But the seals and underside look relatively clean.

IMG_2023.

IMG_2030.

Overall i'm very very happy with it. The plan is to put coilovers on it, weld the diff then see how she does at Norfolk Arena on the 15th December. If the CA's still alive we'll keep it going but im not holding my breath with CAs. As soon as it goes pop we'll be putting an SR20DET in it.

-Matt.

#1 CrossOverPics, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  2. Jamie D

Jamie D // NO DREAMING //

looks like a good start for a project matt! look after the ca man they're great fun, and cheap as shit to replace really

nice :)

3. ash1987

ash1987 Active Member

Finally got one then :D Hopefully see you on the 15th!

4. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

yeah it was real nice on the roads today, surprisingly alot of kick from a 162000k CA. Just so i'm sure, the exhaust on mine isnt the same as the one i was going to buy from you is it?

Hopefully, if we get coilovers and weld the diff in time. Although my daily's clutch decided to explode today. Without my car = no job. So ... priorities atm :/

5. Jamie D

Jamie D // NO DREAMING //

nah, not sure the size of yours but my old one is 2.25", has thicker exits and is upswept too :) gove us a shout if youre keen on it its still here

6. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Progress!!

A couple of days ago I got this nice little package from Driftworks.

[​IMG]

We bought some very nice HSD Mono Pro's for the S13, which i will now be calling Betty. (I hope you get the pun)

After watching a few videos, talking to other people about installing coilovers and having a good ole read of the HSD papers my dad and I thought we'd try fitting them ourselves instead of taking them to a garage. After all "It'll only take you an hour".

So on a -2oc December morning we got cracking, and quickly got the old knackered stock suspension off. It was surprising how easy the back's were.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looking like it's under constant heavy acceleration.

An hour or two later we finally finished up the back end of the car. Looking good. Could go a bit lower, but we need to get it on and off Trailers, so better to be safe than sorry.

We both hoped that the front would be just as easy to do as the backs. But sadly it wasnt. The two knuckle bolts and nuts were so rusty they instanly rounded off with one twist of a rachet. A soak in some WD40 and a few more pulls later with no give what so ever, we resorted to plan B. So we decided to try to destroy the nut in order to get the bolt out. Being outside in a row of garages meant there was no electricity anywhere near, so out comes the hammer and chistle.

[​IMG]

Still no luck.

Luckily I live literally behind a small MOT centre, so we dropped it off there and asked them to grind off the Nut so we can out new ones on. And yes this picture was taken from my kitchen window.

[​IMG]

A couple of minutes later, so got the car back with the new bolts on. They're not the same Shoulder bolt as the nissan ones, but they'll do for now untill we can get some new ones. Then we fitted the HSD's.

[​IMG]

Although, there is one bolt missing from the top mounts. Went into a local parts shop also opposite my house and asked him to try to match it up with another one he had. But he didnt have any at all. So for the time being we're going to have to run it with 2 bolts untill we can get hold of a spare.

Job done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then wanted to see if my 17" SSR's would fit that I bought from Oli Silcock last week. We couldnt run spacers becuause the ones we were given are 5 stud, where as ours is 4. Bummer. Although it still fits, about half an inch clearence from the coilover and no rubbing on the arches, so all is good. Does need some spacers though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They do look good though.

Although one of the rims hasnt got a valve. And its a small 6mm diamiter hole, so ordered a new valve off the World Wide Shopping Cart which should come in a couple of days. Then we can run 17's all round. Win!

Next job is to get the VLSD welded and get an allinement done, then Drift it on the 22nd December at Norfolk. Unfortunatly we're missing the 15th December drift day as the Diff isnt welded yet and the coilovers havent had time to settle. :euge:

Happy days!

7. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Took it to a very wet Norfolk Arena on the 12th Janurary. Thankfully it performed faultlessly!

I had doubts of how the little CA was going to handle the stress of drifting, espeically seeing as it's gained an impressive 164k mileage count, with no added cooling, no uprated oil cooler or anything like that but it ran perfectly. Such an improvement to my old BMW - feels so much more precise and willing to go where you want to go, when you want to go there. I love it.

Couldnt help to notice that even in the wet, it felt quiet underpowered - it felt like a lifetime waiting for the turbo to get enough pressure to reach maxium boost. But thats just CA life. Definetly needs more boost which means FMIC, Boost Controller, Guages and a better (louder) exhaust.

Anyway, pictures of how well it performed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just noticed that it doesnt look at wet in the photos lol.

Love it!

8. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

No updates, just skids.
    (from Norfolk Drift Day on the 17th March 2013)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Photos by Mark Calif & Jamie Rolls.

9. SX_BIG

SX_BIG Active Member

well done dude. when you gona lower it then :D :p

10. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Good point, may need to "alter" the trailer first though as it already scrapes the whole front end on its way down. Which is why i only have half of a front spoiler.

But, soon.

11. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Updates.

16th June.
    Took the 200 down to GBH Motorsport for a full alignment before Pod Wednesday. Also bought 3'' Catback from Auto Extreme, which came with a middle section too. Wanted to fit that on the same day, but couldn't. As once it was up on the ramp you could see that the stock exhaust had been de-catted and replaced with pipe. Also the flanges had been cut off. So couldnt put my exhaust on without a new Downpipe. Joy.

Anyways, time to sort the camber and toe out.
    [​IMG]

Looks badass with the SSR's all round.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and this was once a little bit of Nissan Chassis. It's alot rustier than I originally thought. Especially the rear subframe, so that's going to have to be swapped out at some point.
    [​IMG]

19th June.
    Went to Santa Pod Wednesday, was the first time with the s13 and first proper go at Pod. Was so cool. Was a bit apprehensive of how the low powered CA will handle, especially as I was now using 225/45/17 all round with about 50 PSI. Was a huge advantage from the crappy little 195/60/15's with little to no grip. Struggled a little with the grip of the 17s on the slower sections, but was so easier to control at high speeds, especially when off the throttle. Loved the 17's, feels so much better.

Skids!

Decided to put my GoPro on my forehead for the first session, glad I did. Here's the footage.

You can hear the Manifold gasket blowing quiet badly, especially on full throttle. Wanted to go easy on the first session as i've never drifted Pod before, never used 17's to drift on and the Gasket's blowing. But loved it. Feels like it definitely needs an extra 20hp to pull itself, but that bit too underpowered, especially in the left hander after the 3rd gear corner. Needed a few clutch kicks to get through there.

[​IMG]

Then in the second session trouble hit. Lost alot of power mid drift, sounded odd and felt lumpy as hell. Definitely dropped a cylinder. Sounded and felt like a tractor.

Eased it back to the pits and had a look at it.

Gaskets fucking suck. The 4th manifold gasket was open and hanging on by a thread, then the turbo gasket was open by a cm, tightened them all back up, checked everything and started it. A little quieter but still tractorsx.
    [​IMG]

Checked the spark plugs, all clean and dry. Someone from around the pits suggested to swap over the 3rd/4th coilpack over to see if that was the problem. Did it, same outcome. Called some Nissan Yodas and asked what it could be, they suggested to compression test it. Of course I don't have one.

Screw it, lets just go home.
    [​IMG]

Took a video of the problem when I got home.
    [video]http://s121.photobucket.com/user/mxessexmx85/media/IMG_4284_zpse8afbccb.mp4.html[/video]

Any ideas?

Thinking about just either
    1) SR it and drift it without care of the rust.
    2) Sell up and get an s14 with less rust.
    3) SR it and fix rust.

Either way it's going to be a long long time.

12. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

sounds like a dead plug or coil pack if im honest, and with the exhaust leak it sounds even worse

13. Dori_Zoku

Dori_Zoku Member

Hope you get it sorted matt.

or just get an sr and drop it in have go wild.

14. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Keep with the trusty s13. there getting rarer plus 14s are getting rusty jebuz you should see how rusty my s13 is and its a road car. either way good work so far

15. BBradders87

BBradders87 Member

Happy to see another 13. Keep at it! Ca all the way

16. CarlFrankDrift

Keep it ca mate, ca preservation society :)

17. ANDREW123

ANDREW123 Member

Nice job like the video.

18. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think the plan of attack will be to get it running on 4 cylinders as cheaply as possible, drift it for as long as I can until September when i'll be heading off to Uni. I wont have any money to work on the car whilst at Uni, so might as well enjoy it whilst I can.

Although looking at the video from Pod, it really needs a bit more power. So might treat myself to a FMIC, Stage 2 chip and an Airfilter. Stage 2 seems to be more than enough power it seems.

I'd love to keep it and work on the rust at Uni, but i've no idea how busy ill be or how much money i'll have. It needs quiet alot of attention if i'm honest. There's a rust whole in my left side Chassis arm the size of my fist, the sils are rotten and the whole rear subframe is falling apart. Is it worth sorting it? I don't know even know to be honest.

Going to Compression Test it tomorrow morning to hopefully see what's wrong.

19. Dori_Zoku

Dori_Zoku Member

Matt have you been able to work out what's up with it yet?
    Also well done on getting into Uni :D

20. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Nah not yet, compression tester seems to have a cut/leak in it somewhere. That's what you get when you buy from eBay right. Ordered another one.

And thanks man. Will be up in your neck of the woods soon enough.