My sierra drift car

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by sideways_madness, Nov 16, 2012.

1. sideways_madness

I've been following drifting for quite a while now, mainly pro drift here in Ireland.
    So I thought it was time to give it a go myself.
    I started off building an ae86 corolla then got side tracked with my buggy/gokart project.
    The buggy got finished an corolla still left as it is for now.

That's when the sierra project started, I had all the bits I needed to build the car gathered up so decided to go ahead an get started. I started off with a shell I had from an old 2.0 twincam I broke and a 24v Granada I was driving up until the mot was up. I stripped the Granada and built all into the sierra.
    I forgot to take some pics of the build along the way but have pics from when I was making the roll cage

The start of the cage

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 sideways_madness, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. sideways_madness

3. sideways_madness

15x9 a bit too much....

[​IMG]

4. sideways_madness

Got seats and harnesses all fitted last week

[​IMG]

Alloy fuel tank all fitted and piped up
    [​IMG]

5. sideways_madness

So had my first drift day in it on Saturday there.
    First lap ok
    Second lap struggled to get gears, lost clutch in middle of transition an ended up on a lorry tyre wall.
    It didn't help that front wheels were rubbing inner wings causing her to flick the backend around even quicker.
    Ended up resulting in who doors being pushed in and a broken rear bumper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. sideways_madness

Bumper now fixed:wack::smash:
    [​IMG]
    I'll get the rest of it the next day I'm back :thumbs:

7. sideways_madness

This is the first time I done some drifting this summer in the buggy

[​IMG]

It's a complete different handling game in it. It's a bit of a handful but so much fun

8. mr pies

mr pies Member

Did you make all of that cage yourself?

9. NickNitro

NickNitro Member

Love the work thats gone into the cage mate, nice one. That buggy looks a handful just in the pics, whats it running?

10. sideways_madness

Yea made the whole thing myself, some work in it.

11. sideways_madness

Cheers, was a good bit of work in making it, but done its job on Saturday lol.

Yes the buggy is a handful alrite, but that's all part of the fun. It's running a 919cc fire blade so has plenty of power, bit too much at times. I have the build of it on here in the project section. I think there's a video of it with some drifting action near the last page.

Edit
    Here's the link
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/other-chat/147998-my-bike-powered-buggy-kart-project.html

12. tom_dc5

tom_dc5 Member

Love the cage!!

13. mr pies

mr pies Member

Fair play, looks awesome.

14. bennycw43

bennycw43 Member

A lot of nice work gone into it, fair play to u :)

15. sideways_madness

Cheers, I'm happy with how it turned out, an now know I can build a cage.

16. sideways_madness

Thanks lad, did I see the mk2 in you avatar at retro stock in mondello? Looks like mondello in the pic too? I hope to have this at the next retro stock day

17. sideways_madness

After the clutch problems I had from last Saturday I pulled the gearbox out of her during the week to get it sorted.
    The gearbox is a bit of a hybrid box I built for her using half a 4wd gearbox and half a 2wd gearbox. Anyone who's not aware all the 24v Cosworth engines came attached to an auto box. You can use the type 9 gearbox from the likes of a Capri, Granada or Sierra but they not really that strong, ok for a road car but the mt75 gearbox is stronger, but never came as a 2wd v6 layout so this is why I had to build one.

The problem ended up being the clutch fork had came off its pivot point due to the travel, so I knocked out the pivot ball, tapped out a hole in gearbox bellhousing and welded ball onto a bolt and threaded it back into place so its now adjustable from the outside. Built all back in and seems to be working ok now.
    Also modified the gear linkage to give me a short shifter, which made a good difference

18. bennycw43

bennycw43 Member

Yeah you probably did i had it at all the retro stocks, it will be nice to see the sierra at retro stock they go pretty well with the 24v in them :)

19. sideways_madness

Yea goes ok, just going to play about with diff ratios an try an get more seat time before mondello, but biggest thing I need to focus on is the whole handling and suspension set up.
    Hopefully have her looking a bit better for it too lol. Looks like a stock car at the minute lol

20. Leslie DG

Leslie DG Member

mistake, they were, mostly in 2.4V6 scorpio/granada. sometimes 2.9 also came with manual boxes. i use both, t9 also works well after check and good oil. we broke some of them after years of using, but thats fine, this is racing :)