Pikeydrift s13 2jz

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by pikeydrift, Dec 20, 2012.

1. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

Been on here for a while so I thought I best start giving some input.
    I've been into drifting about 6 months so I'm still a gripper, but I'm getting pretty hooked. I've been circuit racing for a few years and workin on cars since I was a kid so when the LS1 gave up at pod the other week it was time for a change.
    A lot of you will know the car as it used to belong to kieran on here.[​IMG]
    The day I bought it!
    [​IMG]
    Head gaskets on the drive :)
    [​IMG]
    Lookin sorry for herself :( after kissin the wall with the wrong end lol.
    [​IMG]
    Then............. Boom ls1 let go
    [​IMG]
    Bye bye..[​IMG]

Time for a Change of direction!

2. scouse

scouse Active Member

why not just rebuild that motor.

3. stealthyninja6

im with scouse. ls engines are easy and cheap to rebuild even if you have to get a new block, scoring on the crank looks easily fixable. what are your plans motor wise.?

4. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

[​IMG]
    Just doing a mock up shel be in by 10....... I hope

5. scottc1088

scottc1088 Member

is the ls1 for sale?

6. Clive

Clive Active Member

reason for LS letting go..?

7. zenkidori

zenkidori Member

Because his p*nis size is prolly over 1inch ;D

Hooray for Pikey! Less LS moar JZ!

8. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

Oil starvation to the crank it had span three bearings, I didn't hear It knocking till I got out of the car by which time the damage was done, 3 scrap rods and a big score round the crank deeper than the 30 thou machining allowance.
    Everyone I spoke to in the states and what I read on the net convinced me to stay clear a second time. If it had been ls3 It might of still been ok as the ls1 is inherently weak.
    Anyway I want 600 hp and without buying an ultima engine or a race tuned small block I think 2j is the way forward, at the end of the day everyone has their own ideas of what's right.

Got the engine dummy fitted last nite!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Clive

Clive Active Member

Engines dont tend to just kill'em selves...

Oil pump failure? low on oil? Smashed the sump pan/damaged pick up etc?
    Cooked it? (unless you wasn't pulling the next gear and had it bouncing off limiter, or was just generally shite oil ill be amazed you cooked it :wack:)

I don't believe around tiny, relatively slow pod you can stave the engine through forces.

Just be interesting to see what caused it to fail...

#9 Clive, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  10. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

It was some shit in the oil I think, the strainer had some debris trapped in it. Must have blocked the oil ways in the crank, I didn't really investigate too much as It was the push I needed to change.

11. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

A few more pics from on the jig last week, I thought I best sraighten her out before starting to chop it up.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    As you can see it was need of a bit of tlc.

12. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

[​IMG]
    I've decided to use the v160 box as I'm struggling to get the adaptor plate for the t56 made, sold the act clutch off the ls1 yesterday so comp clutches are doing me a twin plate for it on an act flywheel.
    Hoping turbos going to turn up in the post 2day......

13. chidley

chidley i like fingers

that box looks about as big as my SR20 block! daaaayummm!

14. lyf

lyf Member

Other night was jokes bro but good to see you motorvated getting the 2jizzle in!
    People need to stop hatin, the ls was a complete bag o shit and restricted his learning curve due to failing all the time!
    At least with the 2j it's gonna be ass in seat all year...

15. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

Been doing a bit of work the last few days, managed to get the engine fitted in on the new mounts I made and checked the clearances and it seems to be ok[​IMG]
    I had to make a gearbox mount today, I used some 50 x25 box section and some 4mm plate I had lying around, used a generic rubber mount bought off eBay for a fiver
    [​IMG]
    Then got the welder out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Going to try and get the rad positioned tomorrow was going to try and use the viscous fan that originally came on the engine but it won't fit without shoving the rad forward of the slam panel and I don't want to do that if poss[​IMG]

16. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

Merry Xmas,
    Santa came a day early.
    [​IMG]
    Borg Warner S300sx 91/69-79 with an 11blade Billet wheel.
    Thanks to John at AET.

17. MAGIC RANDY

MAGIC RANDY Member

Driftworks onlookers are like

LS engines bum bum bum

1jz bum bum bum

2jz bum bum bum

Removing any of the above to fit the any of the above ...... Aghhhh don't do it.... Spend hundreds rebuilding it blah blah

You doing it your way and proper so ignore the debate, get it done and come to junction 22 on Sunlol dervlol derv

18. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

Done a bit more on the onevia today, made a crossmember out of some box section then drilled the bolt holes for the tension strut brackets and welded the bolts to make them captive.[​IMG]
    To get the rad in the right position I made a 3 mm plate to weld to the front subframe then drilled some 16 mm holes for the radiator mounting rubbers to go into, then welded it up.
    I cut some 100 x50mm 4 mm plates and welded them to the underside of the cross member these will support the cooler.[​IMG]
    Going to start cutting up the frame for the front end tomorrow.

19. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

All wet sump LS engines have a really shit oil system for drifting, SO many die in drifting due to oil starvation.

I've said this loads of times but nobody listens.

Awesome engines, but have issues with drifting without mods. At least a better and baffled sump and an accusump, but really need a dry sump.

I've had a tuner in the USA refuse to sell me one of their engines due to it's use as they admitted it wouldn't last without a dry sump.

I'd much much rather jus do those mods than put a bloody 2J in though, madness!

20. pikeydrift

pikeydrift Member

Just something to keep me from having to watch the soaps..
    I did like the ls but 350 hp was a bit weak and if I'm honest I just love turbo powered cars. Maybe the 2j was a wrong decision but it came from a good running car and I hope it'll be ok.