jz s14 silvia

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by jonny mac, Jan 14, 2013.

1. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

following on from here: http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/174244-jonnys-1jz-project.html

eventually will have this car 1j'd instead :p
    anyway! Hi guys, bought my 3rd nissan, this one is an s14a silvia with 98 thousand km's and the non turbo sr20de engine.

i do have quite a breif history of the car, going back to june 2012:

[​IMG]

this was when my mate mike had it, he bought it as a completely standard car
    during his ownership a fair bit of work was done, some even by me! :D
    5 stud hub swap, r33 brakes, wheels etc etc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the wheels lasted an hour then he changed his mind and i think the week after it was sold to a guy in birmingham....
    then in october my mate lewis seen the car up for sale and he went to buy it from birmingham, drove it up to aberdeen again where it came from
    he sold the big wheels which is a shame :(
    he did however get some good pics, i'm waiting on him to email me the rest
    rear wheel fail!!

[​IMG]

so he decided to get the money into property and sell it on, same thing i did with my first s14a. I got offered it as i've wanted the car since day 1 of mike having it!
    sold my green 14 to a mate local who will be on this forum posting pics shortly once he has fitted his wheels and so on :D

7-12-2012
    day 1 with the car!
    couldn't wash it was it was too cold :(
    went down to meet john (joey200sx)

[​IMG]

we went to a local quiet car park and changed over my back wheels under shelter as the evo wheels had bald tyres
    the car got a john stewart diagnosis

[​IMG]

threw on my 25mm spacers and 2 r33 wheels with good tyres for now then went and took some pics with john
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (yes the missing mirror is in the post to me :D it wasn't on the car when i got it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

08-12-12
    had it up on the ramp at work today, it's so FRESH underneath!! such a clean 14 :D

[​IMG]

fitted a set of the subframe locking collars, adjusted the rear camber to try have none at the back as it was excessive but i'll need to fit adjustable arms, went over all the fluids and so on
    can anyone explain what this sticker means?

[​IMG]

got loads to do! put on my reg plate, pick up 18x9 and 18x10 equips :D, subframe swap and so on....
    over time this car will hopefully take my 1jz engine i've been working on as it's really worth it since the shell is so damn clean!

anyone got a cheap gracer front lip or similar for cheap :D ?

got more pics and stuff to upload to photobucket so will do that and update this :D

2. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

updates:

poo soon to be removed
    [​IMG]

washed
    [​IMG]

makes noises now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

replaced the hsd's with my basically brand new cs2's from my green 14
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

had my uk turbo subframe powdercoated and fitted dw solid bushes and solid diff bushes, this will be fully built with my z32 rear brake conversion, new wheel bearings, all adjustable arms, poly bushed lower arms with new ball joints, 4.3 skyline diff, r33 shafts and s14 non abs prop
    [​IMG]

#2 jonny mac, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  3. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

Went to sxoc R/R day
    [​IMG]

167bhp, bet john's s15 by 1bhp :D

[​IMG]

r200 4.3 skyline r32 diff arrived, will get it cleaned up and welded
    [​IMG]

fitted some 6k hid's and left in the yellow sidelights for the 'oem factory' look
    [​IMG]

my old 14 skidding beside my new 14
    [​IMG]

bought some equips
    [​IMG]

changed rear discs and pads, sorted out front brakes with new pins as rusty nails were falling apart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tried on equips, found offset to be not enough for me since my rear arches were massive even with a 25mm spacer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sold them on, needed the money anyway at the time

4. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

bought some japspeed braces, only wanted a front but found a deal with the rear together
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

face off
    [​IMG]

wings undersealed and rust proofed
    [​IMG]

lips flattened also
    [​IMG]

clutch gayness removed
    [​IMG]

went skidding at sxoc crail day, first time properly drifting the n/a, car was epic! you have to enter mega fast then just throw it in!

[​IMG]

thanks photographers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lately i've been saving money and buying parts for the 1j swap, big turbo and bought an r154 kit from phil@driftworks
    [​IMG]

5. JackRLM

JackRLM Member

looks great buddy like it!

6. stu_

stu_ Member

Nice turbo!

You can't have many more bits to collect for the conversion now then?

#6 stu_, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  7. jdm<3

jdm<3 Member

long shot.....but you dont still have the 4 stud hubs and bits do you ?

8. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

Cheers guys.

Stu I am still waiting a year on for my engine mounts, yeh not much left to buy really, clutch, head gasket set, exhaust top mount manifold and sort out Ecu and loom then it'll be head check/skim and if I can afford it cams but standard internals and bearings will do for now. Just want to get it going. Engine has sat on a stand for a Year. Not doing rings and rods etc leaving the block standard just now for cheapness. If it fucks up ill then go rebuild it with acl bearings etc.

As for the 4 stud hubs I think I took all the studs out them for my last 14 and binned them. Ill have a look buddy.

9. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

don't think i posted this earlier....after drift day haha
    [​IMG]

11-04-13
    went to the sxoc food meet....cambo's awesome ps13! (which is for sale)
    [​IMG]

12-04-13
    decided to do some work with the bits i had started to collect for the rear subframe swap

opened up my r32 diff from jdmgarage
    [​IMG]

ratio 48:11

being 48/11= 4.363 final drive

let it drain overnight

[​IMG]

also gave it two coats of hammerite black

[​IMG]

along with my r33 driveshafts

[​IMG]

next was to toast the bushes out the rear lower arms i have spare

[​IMG]

they are about to get powdercoated black to match the subframe diff and shafts

i've got some new driftworks lower arm bushes to go in the arms

14-4-13
    went to a local car meeting, was rather busy!
    parked with john/joey200sx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

anyway! not been doing much to this as of late since buying another 14a, the silvia has sort of taken a back seat lately

took it out skidding one night in a closed private area miles out of civilisation

[​IMG]

it's only a single track place so it's tight and the corners are 90 degree bends so it was a tad tricky especially with no power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks to josh for a good price my r32 diff got welded :D so that'll be filled with some love juice then an s14 backplate put on once it's painted silver

[​IMG]

had john over and it was pretty cool seeing my two s14's and his s15 together :D

[​IMG]

10/5/13 ... mot time :S

i hadn't had much time to get stuff sorted on the car so i knew it would fail on no cat or fog light

[​IMG]

being tested by the mot tester at my work, he had enough comments to say about how low it was and how the bride seat made it hard for him to get in and out... :D

so my fail sheet goes like this:

1. Battery insecure (i never had a clamp with the car so i just had a big industrial tie wrap around it,) i've bought clamp from flik on sxoc
    2. Offside Rear Fog Lamp Missing (wasn't there when i bought the car)
    3. Rear Fog Lamp Tell Tale Not Working (switch doesn't light up to tell me the fog lamp is on)
    4. Exhaust Cat Missing Where One Was Fitted As Standard (had it in the boot just never got round to fitting, will throw it on for retest)
    5. Front Reg Plate Characters Incorrect
    6. Rear Reg Plate Characters Incorrect
    7. N/S/F Brake Hose Inappropriately Repaired
    8. O/S/F Brake Hose Inappropriately Repaired
    9. Parking Brake Efficency Below Requirements

so all in all i've got a new battery tie down comming this week, fitted different brake hose clamps through the coilovers

i've plugged the fog light switch wires back in (don't know why they were ever out) and put a red bulb into the rear reverse light

fitted my apex exhaust which has flanges for the cat so the cat is now in for emissions

tightened up the handbrake cable as it was needing adjusted

doing nothing with the plates as they are import plates, the tester just needed reminding about them being legal on an import car.

- - - Updated - - -

jamie's mental sil80 showed up at my work, i gave it an oil change and fitted a pressure sensor to the oil sandwich plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anyway here's the new fog light
    [​IMG]

apex exhaust on with cat for mot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

changed my front tension rod bushes for poly ones...thanks to joey200sx for the bushes :D

[​IMG]

and that was all done on saturday, then that evening I buggered my foot

no clutch kicking crail drift day for me :(

i've had to sell my space, quite gutted after all the work done late at nights getting tyres changed etc, was really looking forward to going back aswell :(

went over my foot walking into a dip on a pavement, went up to hospital for xrays and doctor said i've severely damaged the tendons and ligaments in my foot.

I'm on crutches for a few weeks and no driving for 2-4 weeks they said.

GUTTED!

will have to get my dad to take the silvia to work for it's mot retest once the battery tie down arrives as everything else is done and fixed

11. Ry_de

Ry_de Member

Good effort bud

12. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

right, my blue 200sx is sold, need to get my finger out and get this car going with the 1jz

SO! here's my list of parts so far for my conversion:

steevo 1jz conversion mounts to s14 subframe
    1jz complete engine in bits
    R154 gearbox
    R154 Mount
    R154 Slave Cylinder + Fork

so far the next steps are:
    get my cylinder head checked/skimmed
    order full head gasket set from toyota and replace the valve stem seals while it's in bits
    buy arp head studs/bolts
    buy arp flywheel bolts
    buy lightened flywheel and performance clutch
    buy rear manual spigot bearing
    steevo's going to do the shifter extension, gearbox mount and sort out the front half of the s14 prop shaft

then it'll be ordering all the bits to make it run. exhaust manifold for turbo, external gate, ecu, injectors, map sensor etc.

13. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

updates

painted my diff cover for the r32 diff
    [​IMG]

some pics of the driftworks r32 r154 gearbox i bought
    [​IMG]

r154 prop shaft end
    [​IMG]

cleaned up
    [​IMG]

bought a crane, not lending this one out this time!! brings nothing but hassle haha
    [​IMG]

my front sump has a problem....
    [​IMG]

was from an n/a so it'll need the oil return drilled out and machined flat :S
    [​IMG]

another 1jz i found cheap online which has had a new timing belt, oil pump, water pump and a few other bits

[​IMG]

arrived and got it thrown in the back of my daily yellow box

[​IMG]

in the back

[​IMG]

also got a full genuine toyota head gasket set for my other engine so that'll be built up eventually when i get time and kept as a spare

original plan made easier by buying the other engine

[​IMG]

got the new engine in the garage, tomorrow i'll get the old block off the engine stand, get this one on and swap over the sump and make some checks/changes then it'll be good to test fit

[​IMG]

also tonight i bought a japspeed top mount 1jz manifold, i've never been impressed with japspeed stuff but for £170 it's more affordable than a 6boost manifold at £1000 plus....

so it'll get braced and so on when it arrives/is test fitted

[​IMG]

also recently ordered a full fabricage and act 6 puck clutch for the 1jz,

my parts list is almost complete, just got to get the gearbox work done then a test fit can happen :D eeeeek!!

as for the car the coilovers will be coming off when I get time and standard wheels put back on so it can go into the bodyshop and have the rear arches sorted

I have a deposit down on a greddy gracer lip from srb power so when it arrives from japan that'll be going on,

still need to buy vertex skirts and a roof lip from ep racing and somehow find kouki rear spats...plan is to put it in with all the parts to get done all at once

i do fancy having the roof and pillars done black aswell :S

14. counteract

counteract -o=me

You earn too much money! Haha

Found a turbo yet?

15. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

I don't :( that's the sad thing haha i'm basically skint every month because of this, but the way I see it is right now I have no tie downs besides a mortagage and some bills, I have no kids, no other commitments that require my wages elsewhere, my flat's finished and fully 'refurbished' with a kitchen and stuff so I don't have any other stuff needing money spent on.

also yes I have found one :D needs wastegate flap welded shut though but will have that done no problem.

- - - Updated - - -

so some updates for now,

japspeed manifold arrived, when the manifold and gaskets were lifted out the box this was what i was greeted with

[​IMG]

all my bolts, studs, washers and nuts not in a bag just loose in a box which had a hole in it

so after a few days of daily phone calls to chase up japspeed i had the missing ones sent out

then set about cleaning my sump in prep for going on my engine

[​IMG]

got all my stuff organised to be posted away for final modifications to fit the s14 chassis

the rear casing has to be removed to get the shifter linkage off

[​IMG]

there is a small bolt which has a ball and spring, this bolt has to be removed and both ball and spring removed with a pencil magnet as they risk falling inside the box

[​IMG]

internal shifter/selector linkage rod

[​IMG]

some other parts ready to go away
    r154 front prop section
    s14 front prop section
    shifter
    shifter housing
    shifter rod

will also be sending away my spare fuel rail to be modified from a -6 to a -8 fitting for higher flow when i put in larger injectors

[​IMG]

so got my diff built back up with the skyline breather and s14 backplate

[​IMG]

thanks to wayne@autoextreme my clutch arrived :D ACT 6puck sprung paddle!

will be ordering my flywheel and walbro 400lph fuel pump this week from him, excellent service from him! top lad!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

unfortunately i was missing the release hub since it's a pull clutch on a toyota, so got on the phone to toyota and have made an order of a few parts i need

complete clutch release hub with all spring clips and washers as seen below in green, all pressure plate housing bolts and some other parts :)

wasn't cheap....

[​IMG]

so after recieving all my bolts i needed for the job that friday night i set about fitting the japspeed manifold to my engine to see how much work was required for making the external wastegate fit

however that was cut short

[​IMG]

the manifold wouldn't go over the head studs

[​IMG]

i'd tried filing them out but i was taking off too much in my opinion as it was more than just one hole that was drilled miles off

that manifold was sent back and after a few calls to constantly remind them i finally got my money back.

hockey pucks arrived for using as engine mounts

[​IMG]

also since i've got a greddy lip coming i've wanted a set of vertex skirts, rear spats and a dmax roof spoiler to go with it all which in my opinion will complete the car for me

bought some cheap vertex rep side skirts which have cracks, runs, chips, breaks and general turdy-ness everywhere, they're rough as a dog but will no doubt be knocked off a few times

fitment is actually quite good

so the car was put back on standard shockers and wheels to go into the bodyshop for some work

[​IMG]

it's going in to get the rear arches done as when they were flared by pervious owner they have started rusting which is unfortunate

also will be getting my skirts painted and have a new roof spoiler i bought from ep racing painted and fitted :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

update***

roof spoiler and skirts are painted, rear arches are done and look amazing! cannot thank stevie enough! the man has some epic skills, colour match is identical!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally have sourced an HX35 holset turbo in a 12cm housing, it has a 3" vband rear fitment and a t3 twin scroll flange

paying for it in a week if the guys cool to hold off as i bought a new sofa which unfortunately would have gotten me a manifold and a turbo together :S

so i've called wayne at auto extreme and he is pricing up a 6boost manifold for me :S

this could be me basically ready for a test fit :)

16. Jites

Jites Active Member

Seems like all your lurking around playgrounds selling drugs to kids is paying off

Serously though, pretty badass build you got there, keep going man

17. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

haha definitely! primary school kids love it, luckily enough i'm paid weekly and bills are not mega rape for my flat since it's small. I need to come by and see your car, it looked mega in the pics from crail!

AHH PHOTOBUCKET! pics back online in a few days

paying for an hx35 on Friday :) :)

then i'll need to buy a manifold and external wastegate then I can try test fit everything woohoo!

18. WayneR33

WayneR33 Member

Pictures arent working for me for some reason?

19. Jites

Jites Active Member

Haha, I miss weekly pay! yeah man, just give me a shout tomorrow as Ill be changing oil and getting the car ready for drift land.

you going this saturday man?

20. jonny mac

jonny mac 1jzS14

sorry pics are unavailable, will take a day or 2 for photobucket to reset my monthly bandwidth

they'll be working again in a few days

i'll possibly nip by tomorrow if i get time in evening, going to collect the car from bodyshop so will see how that goes for time

it depends if i can get it off work or not, plus i don't have a passenger seat gaurinteed yet

take it you're skidding then since you're changing the oil?