Driftland / Chizfab - Prepared E36 M3

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by ren_juanjo, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

March 2013

After having my previous red M3 saloon from about 2007, i spent a small fortune on it, ran out of money, had to get a real life & job combo so broke the car in 2009 and had a bit of a huff about the drift in general. In 2011 i bought an E39 540i, then p/x'ed it for another, thought it was rubbish and then went back into an E36 328i which i really enjoyed.

As Driftland in Lochgelly was nearing completion, I hopped onto DW and went family deep into Mike|TDSW's E36 M3. I'd always liked reading about it on Trampdrift and I knew that Mike had spent a fair whack on the engine @ Redish Motorsport, it was a proven skidder and had all the basic stuff done to it. It wasn't overly tidy but was solid so was ideal.

[​IMG]

As soon as it arrived I got stuck in and about it preparing for an SXOC Crail Big track day, fitting the following:

Replacement radiator
    Replacement oil cooler
    Replacement oil cooler lines
    JC Side Mount Rails
    Corbeau Pro Series Driver Bucket
    Oil and Filter Change

Went for a blast out at Crail - really enjoyed the car. Massive step up from the 328.

[​IMG]

May 2013

Got a replacement front bumper and an LTW Spoiler. Prepared them at local paintshop Tooledesign. Got a pair of amber corners too.

[​IMG]

Fitted, admired.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

June 2013

Took it to a Jumanji Nights show day, parked it up for a little pose. First time i've had a semi-poseworthy sort of car really.

[​IMG]

Also noticed that one of the wishbones is being eaten by the lock - (shortened knuckles, E92 tie rods, E46 lower arms, 8.5J ET13 wheel, standard E36 rack with 4mm spacers, 205/40 tyre)

[​IMG]

Whipped off the lower arm, gave it to Kyle @ Chizfab.com to tig it back together -

[​IMG]

Readjusted the camber and caster on the car after this which appears to have stopped any reocurrence of this.

The car had standard E36 M3 droplinks fitted - i swapped these out for some lovely rose-jointed HSD ones courtesy of the lovely chaps @ Driftworks.

Went to crail again, did another skid.

[​IMG]

Was fun - then a diff whine that had quickly been getting worse turned rapidly into:

[​IMG]

Got the car back and looked to be a failure of the input shaft bearing. Diff was scrap.

Got a replacement 3.64 diff from Joe JK Lane. Fitted M3 output flanges but the existing M3 input flange was goosed. At short notice Chizfab fitted a 328 input flange and I swapped the M3 3.0 prop out for a 4 bolt 328 prop.

2. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

July 2013

Took the M3 for the first Drifltand test day. Really enjoyed it - the replacment diff worked well and the car seemed happier with less camber & caster up front. It was also my first dry day with the car, and I loved it.

[​IMG]

Then DISASTER.

My radiator had been quietly expanding at the bottom, developing a bow in the middle. this bow appears to gave grown enough to pop the oil cooler from its mounts. This caused me to drag the oil cooler along the track for a couple hundred yards, pissing oil everywhere. I noticed when i came to a big spin surrounded by smoke. Quickly bailed and shut the car off.

I had a similar issue in 2009 with my first M3, running it low on oil pressure like this killed the engine. I was worried as buggery and couldnt afford to do anything about it, so had to leave it until June's payday.

As soon as payday hit, I ordered an all-alloy rad from china in accordance with JK's recommendation. I also got a 325tds oil cooler - similar to an m3 one but slightly larger. I also got some tiny little seals from BMW for a horrendous price.

This all recently arrived, so i slung it together and chucked some cheap oil in it. IT WORKS. phew. will use it at next Dritland day. VAC Motorsports big-end bearings did their job.

Got Mr Chizfab to make up a crash bar/protection/oil cooler bracket - the replacement radiator doesn't have the brackets for oil cooler fitment.

[​IMG]

3. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

August 2013

Fitted a Sparco Pro2000 Driver Seat and moved the corbeau to the passenger side. Ordered a CustomCages 6 point clubman cage for the car.

Took the car for another practice day at driftland - again really enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found that the Diff backplate is leaking - this could be the reason for the last diff failure. Leaking out of the speed sensor. Replaced the diff backplate with the diff in situ. What a guddle.

4. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

September 2013

Used the car for Drift Taxis at driftland - only got a few laps in and again BANG. One-wheel driving (ish) - but not when the car was jacked up. Back to Chizfab for a bit of expert diagnosis. And we found the following:

[​IMG]

A snapped output flange on the diff. Brilliant. The whole back end of the car was pretty tired, so some replacement items were required:

[​IMG]

In total it needed another output flange, a pair of driveshafts, a wheel bearing, some driveshaft bolts and a brake disc. Chizfab got it all done and ready for a little September drifty day, again at Driftland.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed this time - well worth the considerable investment I had to stand to get the car working again. Absolutely worth it many times over. It feels predictable and responsive and the amount of lock available is still a massive novelty for me!

5. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

October 2013

Still a small diff oil leak from an output flange, so Kyle has changed the seal on that side. The Custom Cages Clubman cage is being fitted at Chizfab just now.

[​IMG]

Car is booked in for an interior paint afterwards, i'm hoping it'll really clean up the inside.

Specification Of Car:

Body:
    328i sport auto shell
    M3 re-enforcement plates welded in to the rear subframe mount points
    Front and rear rolled and flared arches
    Full Mtech Kit
    M3 High-LTW Fibreglass Rear Spoiiler
    HID Headlights, Angel Eye Sidelights
    Shit Bonnet Pins
    Clear Rear lights, Orange Fronts

Engine:
    S50B30 M3 3.0 Engine
    Reground crank for 0.25 oversize shells (smallest regrind size)
    VAC motorsports 0.25 oversize Big End shells
    ARP conrod bolts.
    All brand new OEM BMW main shells and main bolts

Engine Bay:
    Air con removed
    Secondary exhaust air recirc pump removed
    Complete ABS delete. Pump gone, sensors gone, lights gone, not an MOT failure anymore.
    HEL braided clutch line
    Decatted exhaust with stainless back box.
    Uprated Alloy Radiator
    325tds Oil Cooler
    Custom Chizfab Nudge Bar/Oil Cooler Bracket

Suspension, brakes and Steering:
    HSD's mono pro with Caster/Camber Adjustable Top Mounts
    Rose Joined ARB drop links
    E46 bottom arms.
    Powerflex eccentrioc LCA lollipop bushes
    E90 inner steering arms, chopped to suit
    15mm hubcentric spacers on front
    Modified hubs for extra lock
    Steering spacers for extra lock
    325i rack (M3 racks are weird variable ratio shite)
    Goodridge braided brake lines (full kit, front and rear)
    Powerflex Rear trailing arm poly bushes
    Powerflex rear subframe mount poly bushes
    Stud conversion all round.
    Transmission:
    ZF 5-speed gearbox
    328 Propshaft
    Custom Built 3.64:1 welded diff.

Interior:
    Sparco Pro2000 Driver Seat
    Corbeau Pro Series Passenger Seat
    JC Racing E36 Side Mounts for Driver and Passenger
    Fake OMP dished wheel and boss
    OBP vertical hydro
    HEL braided hydro lines
    Oil pressure gauge
    CustomCages 6 Point Weld-In Clubman Cage
    Weld In Harness Eyebolts
    Rear Strut Stop Strengthening

Wheels:
    Dare RS BBS RS replicas. 8.5j et13 front, 10j et15 rears
    205/40/17 Toyo T1r fronts
    215/45 Nankang NS-2 Rears

#5 ren_juanjo, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

Awesome!

But fuck those spoilers

7. chrisritchie

chrisritchie Member

That is one sick car dude

8. DanMateX

DanMateX Member

9. FAbity6032

FAbity6032 Member

Hey are you still rocking that 3.64 diff? Because I have a 3.45 diff on my 325i and I don't think I would want it any shorter geared... So do you really enjoy that differential? And what is the reason for the braided brake hoses?

How much camber did you run when the wheel started rubbing? And how much camber do u run now? Do u run camber on the back as well?

10. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

Hi FAbity6032,

Yes it seems like a good ratio for the Driftland track. It allows me to keep the car relatively high up in the rev range for most corners, as the S50 is much more lively after 4500rpm.

The braided brake hoses were fitted to the car when i purchased it. I assume they are generally fitted to stop the flexi hose expanding under pressure and therefore making for a spongy brake pedal.

I don't have before/after geometry settings. A full alignment of the car is something i would like to do once iIve installed rear camber arms.

11. M!chael

M!chael Member

Awesome, into the spoiler!

12. BenKoflach

BenKoflach Member

Looks really cool Ren! And don't listen to the LTW wing hate!

13. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

So much love for this. Gonna be mint with a cage in.
    I wonder why I didn't get posh hsd drop links when I bought the kit?
    Your front wheels are et20 btw.

14. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

E36 have never come with the drop links, they're intended for the old E46 kit.
    Been a mixup selling them here, as we don't supply them for anything but spares for E46 HSD's.

Nice car :)

15. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

Sounds like you should market them individually as well.
    Be nice to see a DW handling kit for bm's, camber arms, steering arms, etc.

16. mint

mint touch my fruit

Like it Ren, Cage looks good too. Chizfab really are dab hand at the old fab work huh ;) Keep it up.

17. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

looks baddass some angles I like the spoiler others I don't its still cool as fuck!

18. Al_E11evens

Al_E11evens Member

Love this car. Saw it when on the Driftland trip... Keep up the good work ;)

19. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

thanks very much guys, much appreciated :-)

cheers for the detail about the offset mike. cage is mainly there for safety but should be a nice addition. Seems to fit very snugly to the pillars. Has required plenty of Kyle's time and previous customcages experience however!

The E46 links appear to fit nicely and are a nice piece of kit at a great price - so thanks for the mixup Kam!

enjoying the marmite reception to the wing.

20. mint

mint touch my fruit

Not that it means much but I think that wing looks decent on there. Nice to see something a bit different.