MY RBS13 build thread

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by NikH, Oct 26, 2013.

1. NikH

NikH Member

OK so now the cars almost finished (for now) i thought id share my build pics etc

Here is how she started in Nov 2012 when i bought the car.

Photo20-10-2012144109_zpsb76d3f47.

It then went through various upgrades/fixes whilst still running the CA, here are a few pics of the progress up until she came apart.

IMG_1640_zpse7d70dfb.
    IMG_1687_zps960054f9.
    IMG_1818_zps45c55596.
    Photo18-12-2012105519_zps58c73ea6.
    IMG_1963_zpsa090e98f.
    Photo18-12-2012191756_zps61cf5d34.
    IMG_2147_zpsc8ebb13c.
    IMG_2183_zpse2e655a9.
    IMG_2241_zps1d589231.
    IMG_2290_zpsc2e78102.
    IMG_2302_zps3adcb66c.
    IMG_2303_zpsdc30daf9.
    IMG_2306_zps47023f2b.
    IMG_2308_zpscb494300.

She made it to 2 skid days (just about) and killed a few sets of tyres

IMG_2405_zps5a4f43f8.

Then after all that TLC she decided to she didn't want to live anymore and made smoke standing still

IMG_2317_zpse7a06023.

I then decided enough was enough and I didn't want to keep throwing money at the CA so decided i wanted an RB25DET to fill the space.

Then this happened.

IMG_2468_zps3eb86df9.
    IMG_2492_zps9e62aaee.
    IMG_2507_zps55955927.
    IMG_2506_zps660985eb.

#1 NikH, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2017
  2. NikH

NikH Member

I got my hands on a RB25DET from an automatic R33 and the lads set to work stripping it down

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to steal my pals metal head gasket as his car was currently being used in the BDC so the engine wasn't coming apart just yet :)

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

We then got the engine put back together with the new metal head gasket, metal intake gasket and exhaust gaskets. Also managed to snap a bolt or two in the process

[​IMG]

Then it was time to focus on the shell.. I decided to take the whole engine bay back to bare metal to remove all the rust and old paint

[​IMG]

I decided that some custom fabricated arches were in order so with the help of my mates customised these badboys

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also set to work on the rear subframe (upgraded to S14 frame with solid offset bushes)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. NikH

NikH Member

The engine bay was not prepped for paint so that was the next step (Again with the help of some good mates)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then set about getting all the arms/hubs back on the rear end

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And added some shiny new drilled/grooved disks with brembo pads

[​IMG]

It was now time to start fitting the engine :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

There was also some modification needed due to the huge arches

[​IMG]

Then the modified looms went in and bits and pieces tidied up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also added a front slam panel to save the front end from deadly cone damage

[​IMG]

Then fitted the rocket bunny front bumper and modified a few bits to fit

[​IMG]

Then the lights (marmite kind of lights i know)

[​IMG]

The body kit was fitted (skirts, front +30mm fenders, Rear +50mm fenders, rear bumper) and i got her out for a skid day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found a few issues which have now been addressed and also ordered a Nistune ECU with software to get the Map correct as she's now Stage 1. The car goes in for a map / RR session on the 20th Nov and I'm hoping to see somewhere around 320bhp then its off to norfolk for another test day on the 23rd Nov….

That is the progress so far and theres still lots to do. Cage, Stage 2, new wheels etc etc etc….

Thanks for taking a look

Nik H

4. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

goood work m8, any updates

5. m.d.

m.d. Active Member

Nicely done. Brings back memories ha. I did think those arches would be a little OTT though.

6. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

You could fit some 4X4 tyres under thoses tubs :)

7. MercTurbo

MercTurbo Member

Looks a good project, glad the ecu went to a good home

8. NikH

NikH Member

Right i now have a NISTUNE ECU from MercTurbo, found that i need to wire in a consult plug to read it though (DOH!!!!) so I've ordered one and it will be here next friday. Wire that in, run the feeds to the front bumper indicators, wire in the wiper motor (if anyone has a pinout diagram i would be hugely grateful), wire in a washer bottle and switch then take her for a map/RR session on the 20th.

Its got to the stage of all the nigles now and its annoying but I'm working through them.

Yes those arches are huge but there is also no loom running through the arch anymore so i can drop her really low :) not sure about the 4x4 wheels though ;) haha

Once she's up and running it will be going road legal again so will be at as many meets as poss. I will then be looking at a cage (Speak up if you have one) and a set of huge dished wheels.

Thats my update for now folks thanks for looking

9. MercTurbo

MercTurbo Member

I have a consult port mate you could've had I no longer need one in the Mercedes now I've changed to haltech

10. NikH

NikH Member

Ah no worries mate i ended up ordering one last night as soon as i found out i needed one.
    Thanks again though fella much appreciated. just gotta get her mapped and i can finally enjoy the car

11. Lewis_B

Lewis_B Member

Such an awesome resurrection! :p

12. NikH

NikH Member

Thank lewis, been a lot of hard work but glad i've now got a really clean S13 and also the benefit of skyline power :)

13. NikH

NikH Member

Ok so just a quick update on whats been happening since my last post.

Ive decided to redo some of the wiring as there was too much going on and i wasn't happy with it.
    This is what i started with….
    [​IMG]

As you can see it looked lovely… I've pulled the whole S13 loom back into the cabin so there is no cabling over the arches to rub through…

I then set to work tidying it up and uprating the cables
    [​IMG]

Then got to this… which I'm a lot happier with
    [​IMG]

I also decided i wanted some wheels to make the car look more aggressive so went for a set of ROTA GTR-D's.. 9.5J et12 fronts and 12J et20 rears.. need a referb but did get them very cheap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. NikH

NikH Member

Then decided i didn't like the headlights or the look of the front end as it sat so decided to modify it again…

Still in the process of finishing this but this is how it was…
    [​IMG]

what I've decided to do with the front end will remain secret for now but it will include these new projector lights ;)
    [​IMG]

I've also got a few more bits to change on the car now

Full set of hoses to replace the tired factory ones
    [​IMG]

R32 GTR style water pump
    [​IMG]

HKS timing belt
    [​IMG]

and some new AUX belts…
    [​IMG]

Also just received my bosch 044 fuel pump but won't be fitting that just yet.

heres another shot of the engine bay as it stands at the moment (minus those headlights…)
    [​IMG]

15. NikH

NikH Member

Since i've heard a lot about the RB25 getting really hot in the S13 engine bay i decided to wire in a thermostat to the twin kenlowes I'm running on the radiator.. basically just a thermostat switch I've modified to throw 2 relays (1per fan) to control temperature without me needing to keep an eye on things.

I've also wired in a switched over ride through 2 thermostats (again 1 per switch) should i need to up the suction a little whilst skidding. Both engine and Standard S13 looms are both running through relays and switched on the centre panel.

The car is booked up for mapping, Alignment check and corner weighting on the 8th jan so i still have a fair amount of work to do to get her up to standard for the mapping session but I'm beavering away and getting through the list.

Next update will be after mapping as im booked in for norfolk drift day on the 11th…

See you all soon and thanks for looking

16. Danno

Danno Member

Loving it!

17. NikH

NikH Member

So over the last few evenings working on the S13 I've changed some hoses, rewired the fans and put the bodywork back on… Heres a few photos of how she sits almost ready for mapping

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats my last update until the car has been mapped, aligned properly and corner weighted. More to come once this is done next week.

18. NikH

NikH Member

So yet again I've decided to change how the car looks and got rid of the fiberglass from fenders. Ive now replaced these with stock fenders and put my rocket bunny front arches on, Also fitted the ducktail (no i won't sell it!) and will shortly be stripping and painting the rear bumper and skirts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. NikH

NikH Member

We fitted the lights aswell and i moved the cone filter over as the lights now sat in the way. Painted bonnet and put the kit together to get an idea of how the front end now looks… This is what it came out like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car is currently having some professional work (Custom engine loom and tidy up, Gizzmo Boost controller and FIA cutoffs). I pick it up tomorrow so i can refit all the kit along with japspeed steering rods/ends and lower the car to where it will now sit and its off for mapping and alignment. Then she will be finished and back on the road…. For now...

20. mynameised

mynameised Member

that looks unbelievably menacing ! perfect s13