e30 sr20 (the turd)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by bell, Dec 5, 2013.

1. bell

bell Without patience

Bmw e30 m52b28 (rust bucket to bust)

Long time since i've done a build thread but my thoughts are if i start documenting how terrible my car is i might actually do some work on it.

so i aquired this car on the 23rd of may 2013, with big plans toi turn it into my new drifter.
    I think i must have bought it with my eyes welded shut, I missed so many bits that needed sorting and the fact that i had to wear sunglasses everytime I've been near it since hasnt helped.

Here the day after I got it home (and I actually realised how terrible it was)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YUP pretty damn depressing! i mean why would you rivet land rover arches to a bloody bmw! I dread to think what drugs the previous owner was smoking!

So I decided to get some new front wings from john at sumpscuffers and replace this mess

[​IMG]

DEan and Doug from Austfab came over and cut the rear arches out and fitted my newly bought pattern parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started the filler work (a job i fucking loathe) primed them and pushed it out of the garage, where it sat for 2 months whilst I came up with excuses not to touch it. Then through work we got a unit and a month afetr moving in, I moved the 30 there (in hope it would spur me on)

[​IMG]

I tucked it in and neglected to look at it for another 2 months (works been up and down and its more interesting sodablasting E type jags and infamous ae86's)

I did get an engine sorted for the masterplan

[​IMG]

but it was shortlived, when I bought it it was with low compression, suspect headgasket that turned out to be a peppered head and a scored piton liner, the seller was good enough to accept a return though.

[​IMG]

it sat again until my pal liam came over and helped me we spent a sunday ripping the front end off and then i decided to cut the boot floor out to make sure he was working.....

[​IMG]

Then things tailed off again.... until today
    my little helper popped by

[​IMG]

and i got the lead on a good engine, from an unfortunate victim of brum wheels. needless to say I got straight on it and promptly drove the 36 seconds from our unit to the other lads handed the readys over and picked up a good compression uk sr20 with all the ancilleries.

so my parting photo is the e30 back lined up ready to get its original heart out (of which appart from a knackered spark plug there was nothing wrong with i just wanted to go faster) ready for a compression tes so i can sell the engine out of it in good faith (once we've degreased it and vapour blasted a few parts to help out any potential new owner with having a clean engine bay.

[​IMG]

peace out

(I better remember the keys tomorrow morning ..........

#1 bell, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. Coopster

Coopster Member

Liking the build thread bell, keep up the good work and updating the thread. Love e30's and reading others projects.

3. bell

bell Without patience

cheers dude.
    did you used to own a fiat coupe?

4. Coopster

Coopster Member

Yeah bell that's me :) i have 2 e30's ones a shell in my garage the other im working on at weekends as she's my daily.

5. bell

bell Without patience

Awesome man, thought i recognised the username man.
    Need an engine? Got m20 with box etc ;) ;)

6. chidley

chidley i like fingers

Bell, if you run into any issues your not entirely sure on, feel free to hit me up for advice, if I can't help I'll point you in the direction of a mate who's doing an sr30 too (y)

7. Coopster

Coopster Member

My misses would kill me if I bought something now instead of Christmas presents lol, is it a 2.5?
    I'm meant to being doing a turbo conversion on one, I have the manifold and some other gear but my daily is only a 2.0.
    I have only come back on the scene a few months ago drifting this time I got married had kids etc.

8. Big Dubs

Big Dubs Member

Not a Beemer fan at all but this could be very interesting, I will be keeping an eye on this! :-)

9. ryan72

ryan72 Member

Awesome project! I miss my e30! :(

10. bell

bell Without patience

Chid cheers dude, no doubt ill be on the blower for advice.
    Coop, married and kids fair one lad, ive got the misses, still and a littlun aswell. An yup 2.5 coming out with box and all ancilleries ;)
    Cheers everyone else.

11. Coopster

Coopster Member

Glad to see your getting on ok bell and your still in the scene :) was a big step getting married! So how much would you like for it? Drop me a pm please

12. sukhy96

sukhy96 Member

Should be a pretty cool build! will be keeping my eye on this.

13. ste_fixed1

ste_fixed1 Member

Awesome, a mate of mine had an sr e30, it was great fun.

14. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

I think everyone at some point buys a car then stands back and wonders what they were thinking.
    if you need to know owt about sr20 drop me a call.

15. bell

bell Without patience

Gaz, if i can get this car to be anything like your green 13 id be over the blinking moon man. I didnt have the funding for an s13 (by todays prices) but i had just enough for the engine lol.
    Everyone else thanks for the encouragement, cars looks a lot different right now, just waiting on pics to upload and I'll wang them up.

16. bell

bell Without patience

screw it , update

got busy with the spanners, had an offer on the engine which is sold now.
    ripped the rear axle off and got it fired onto the spit and pulled the engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shall be back on it sunday, stripping the subframe on the rear ready for blast cleaning,solid bushes, twin wing diff support and painting. aswell as stripping the necessary bits off the front subframe and a few panels on the car so we can spin it over and start attacking the tin worm underneath.

#16 bell, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  17. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

what diff/ratio have you in mind?

if it were me id be tempted to wire the engine through the bmw multiplug thing. that's what I was going to do on something I built ages ago.

18. Dan1

Dan1 Member

looking forward to seeing the progress with this

19. richie_k83

richie_k83 Well-Known Member

Looking good dude, gonna be schweet smokin about with the sr :p

20. bell

bell Without patience

I think from the brief bit of searching that stock pre facelift diff ratio is 3:64 it pulled ok with tthe 2.5 motor in there so im hoping it will do the job with the sr.....
    and yeah im just wieghing up the mounts, thinking of contacting slide about theres as it would speed up the process somewhat.