C250td daily drifter

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by RickyE, Feb 26, 2014.

1. RickyE

RickyE Member

Hello, finaly found a car suitable to have abit of practice in. Had money saved for a lexus is200, was all set on one untill a chap in work said he knew where there was a c250td forsale, went and looked at it on boxing day.

its a merc c250td, completely standard, mot till may, no tax, and needs a rear subframe as its cracked, got it for £250 so cant complain
    engine runs like new, and pulls right and well aswell, manual, full electrics, pity its green but lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New subframe

[​IMG]
    got the rear subframe out, didnt go easy

[​IMG]
    and the reason its getting a new subframe, its just a slight crack

[​IMG]
    how the subframe sits compared to the old one

rear subframe is finaly ready to be bolted back onto the car, couple new arms and bushes, 4 new main subframe bushes and the diff has been welded, some night this week when its dry gonna get it into her and see how she goes
    [​IMG]

a photo of it all back together beside the brothers bm 316/323 project
    [​IMG]

got new wheels and lowered it
    [​IMG]

its now being used as my daily driver, it goes well but need to do something about the throttle, very slow response and the pedal is way to long

as been other bits of work gone into it, when it cracked the subframe it pulled the rear arb mount off the boot floor, so got it patched and all welded back solid, along with 2 new rear droplinks, no rattles from the rear end now

it also had mercedes SLS system, its intended to raise the car up at the rear when you have people in the back, it only worked on one side and was hard as the road, so got two standard rear shocks and have done away with the system

should hopefully have a pile of stuff here for it this weekend so will get an update then

2. RickyE

RickyE Member

no real drifty updates, have a slight oil leak so need that sorted, turbo feed isnt something you want leaking
    since im still waiting for a few more bits to arrive, couple of us sprayed the merc this weekend
    [​IMG]
    satin black and looks a hell of alot better imo

3. RickyE

RickyE Member

got all the wiring sorted out this weekend, first off sorted out the windows, was really pissing me off that only the rear two worked, and drivers only went down an inch

got the trim below the front lights sprayed black, rear spoiler is in primer and will be sprayed black shortly, and got the merc badge on the back of her again.

she was pron to heating abit when it was sideways, so the two front fans are now wired into 2 swtichs, also got a resistor and switch wired into the pump wiring, it now has a nice wee puff of black smoke, and is loving 3rd gear now, before it was just fit to mange 3rd
    [​IMG]
    nothing exciting to photograph as its mostly wiring, but quiet pleased with the switch panel

4. cunningpork

cunningpork Member

Where about in ni you located lad? Gonna do nutts corner or bishopscourt or eglantine?

5. RickyE

RickyE Member

Just outside ballymoney, once the hydro is fitted it'll up at eglington and aghadowey, hopefully have it fitted this week

6. Auto-Retro

Auto-Retro Member

cool,nice to see another w202. i am thinking about changing for a diesel one as they can make so much power

7. RickyE

RickyE Member

Yeh they are good car, the resistor mod realy has helped this thing, is going well but wee smelll if clutch when drove hard but can get it replated in kevlar cheap

You have much done suspension wise to yours?

#7 RickyE, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  8. RickyE

RickyE Member

so not much has happened with this really, drove it about, burst every weld on the old diff, all gears are ok and was still driving, just didnt feel right, only one i could get was a longer ratio one out of a c220cdi, didnt bother welding it, looking for either another 250td one or a petrol diff. not sure about chancing welding the old one again.

car has a fresh years mot on it, failed first time on a low headlight, easily sorted, came out of mot on a thursday, following monday i put coilovers into it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    was undriveable so put the adjusters into the front so i could turn again

only other thing ive done is straight pipe it, no photo's of it on the car but made this tail piece to replace the backbox
    [​IMG]

currently working out how to map it, not paying 240 when the car cost me 250, its not as easy on these as the ecu chips are soldered onto the ecu, so will need to get holders and the right chips, solder the holders onto the ecu and i can remove the chips to map them. hopefully next couple of weeks will have it running a map

will be getting spacers made in work, custom ones to the size i want, 60mm at the rear and 20mm at the front, hub centeric and steel, have bad memory of aluminum ones, joys of working in a engineering shop with cnc machines

#8 RickyE, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  9. RickyE

RickyE Member

got abit of work done tonight still waiting on the lathe boys in work to turn my spacers, hopefully next week ill have them home

first got rid of the egr and cleaned the intakes
    [​IMG]

next was trying to cure my overheating issues, so aircon rad has been removed, was fucked anyway, pump is still in place but will sort that out another time, put the twin fans back in just incase it does start to heat, also blew out the rad, the about of shite that came out of it was unreal,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and just to help the looks, all the purple is gone and the chrome is back, looks better imo, got bored of the purple very quickly
    [​IMG]

currently its running on about 4 1/2 cylinders, one of the pre chambers has come loose, should hopefully have the tools needed for that tomorrow, and get the diff welded tomorrow aswell

10. Bubbleraider

Bubbleraider Member

Nice :) There isnt enough diesel drifters, cant wait for drift pics :)

11. RickyE

RickyE Member

cheers, cant wait to get it out a day

didn't manage to get the diff welded today, spent this morning putting my brother 323 back together, then got the merc running on all 5 cylinders again, took it a good run and its not lifting the temperature hand either, success

also got my hydro mounted, needs connected up but forgot to get t pieces on friday
    [​IMG]

12. RickyE

RickyE Member

finaly got my spacers made, big thanks to a work mate who started after work to finish turning the last one so i could machine it

started with these after they where turned
    [​IMG]

alot of this happened
    [​IMG]

and ended up with these, 60mm for the rear and 20mm for the front
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a mates coming over this weekend, going to get the hydro handbrake working and the diff back into it, hopefully if i get the bolts spacers will be on aswell

13. ANT0SHE

ANT0SHE New Member

Cool project :-)

14. RickyE

RickyE Member

cheers antoshe

got a spacer on one side today, safe to say its gonna be wide

arch has been pulled, its resting on its suspension and moving, clearing atm but needs abit more work before it goes on the road

also really need to get rid of the 55 profile tyres, and give the car a good wash

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. RickyE

RickyE Member

bit more work done past couple of days, new mintex disc's and pad's all round, fronts where warped and rears where done, also rebuilt my two rear calipers, with 2 new bleed nipples, got them bleed up right and the handbrake is alot firmer now, haven't tried it but it should lock now
    [​IMG]

then set about fitting two more gauges, water temp and exhaust gas temp gauges
    [​IMG]
    water temp sender

[​IMG]
    exhaust gas temp sender, excuse the dodgy welding, it wouldn't weld for me at all, but its sealing so all's good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the three gauges, water temp, egt and boost, in 3 new pod's

diff is welded just not in the car yet, need to test drive it with the spacers on to make sure they are ok, so tomorrow ill get the spacers on, hopefully tyres and have it out of the shed for first time in a week

16. RickyE

RickyE Member

finaly have it back on 4 wheels and moving again, took most of this moring to get it moving without tearing the rear tyres to bits, but as hard as i can drive it now it doesnt touch the tyres, few photos as it sits, still in need of a wash
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the handbrake is locking up now aswell, both wheels lock solid and straight away, and have the breather system back on it again so no more oil flying about the enginebay

17. RickyE

RickyE Member

my turbo and pump have arrived, a gt35 and a manual pump off a om602
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so as off friday it is off the road, have an old xsara estate to run about in, means i can now get this thing built without worrying about driving it everyday, will be entering ni drift ama next year

18. Bubbleraider

Bubbleraider Member

Looking good man :)

19. RickyE

RickyE Member

have got abit more done to this recently, now have it fully striped inside, wiring and all is gone, going to wire in just what is needed, as its goin back to a manual pump it wont need alot, also got the turbo mounted today, its a tight squeeze in there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

going to be starting on some of the wiring this week, going to make a new loom for it as it seems the easiest way todo it

20. miffy

miffy Member

This is on par to be a milestone for cheap diesel drifters in the uk . Well done . Keep with it .
    This could prove many people wrong if done ccorrectly ,