My 20v Uk Ae86

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Con20v, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Con20v

Con20v New Member

New to this forum so i thought id get started and post up my own Roadcar/slut.
    Its nothing special but its the best i can do for now. Plain and simple looking but fun to drive.

Bought this 2 years ago as a daily

[​IMG]

When i went to look at the car it seemed to be in good shape, car wasnt long after a full respray with new bumpers, new sidelights, new wings etc so on the outside it was fine. Shell was in good shape too with only a few minor repairs over the years but the car is 30 years old.
    Only problem was the headgasket was gone so bought the car anyway with the intention of fixing it. Few weeks later i went to pick up the car and on start up the bottom end started knocking. Gutted but i nursed the car home and this happened about 2mile from home.

[​IMG]

Whoever was working at the car before didnt torque the flywheel studs into the crank. Causing the flywheel to rattle loose, shear the studs and jam inside the bellhousing of the gearbox causing the engine to stall.

Fucked off at this point i ripped the rattled 4age out and dropped a new heart in and drove the car for the summer.

Took the silly looking spots and bracket off leaving the car looking 10x better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then after a few months the dreaded bottom end started knocking again so there goes 4age numero 2.
    New engine in, this time i threw a set of toyota big end bearings in with the new plant.

Drove it for another while, bastard jumped the timing twice and then rattled AGAIN.

Sooooo... I gave up on the 16v 4AGE plants and bought this.

[​IMG]

Left the car and Blacktop engine over to MCL Motorsport to do the complete conversion for me. I could do everything else, but felt lazy and wouldnt have a notion about the wiring. So Jonny kindly done all for me.
    Engine in
    [​IMG]

And the wiring loom that needed converted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought a alloy rad and yaris t sport coilpacks for the conversion also. Jonny relocated the waterpipes etc and wired the car up and away it went. Difference in power felt unbelieveable. Very driveable and buckets of torque compared to the 16v 4age.

Drove it as much as i could and the car was running like a dream. Changed the wheels to these as they were in good condition and cheap.
    [​IMG]

Got a hydraulic handbrake piped up and went drifting

[​IMG]

And this is the car today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whats done so far:
    Trd Blues all round with a coil off the fronts
    Back end partially polybushed
    Adjustable Panhard
    KAZZ 2way diff - 4.3 CWP
    T50 Box - Standard Toyota clutch and lightened flywheel
    Compbrake 0.625 Hydraulic Handbrake
    Full Mild steel Janspeed exhaust + Manifold
    13X8 Superlights - Yokohama A539s 175/65s up front. Nankangs on the back
    AE111 20v Blacktop engine - Untouched for now....
    Yaris TSport coilpacks
    Water pipes relocated
    Standard ECU - for now...

To Do list:
    Extra steering lock - found out im in big need of this now lol
    Coilovers - Undecided on BCs or any other brand
    Full Prothene Polybush kit
    4.7 CWP - Maybe, the car is a daily and it would probably do my head in
    New wheels of some sort
    Nardi Steering wheel
    Omex 600 or Link Managment - Undecided
    Trumpets
    New Toyota headlights

This is a road car and i do drive it to work so i dont want to go completely mad with it, it still needs to be driveable.
    And continue to drive the shit out of it as i intended on day one.
    Going to look about a dedicated track car at the end of the year so i can stack it into a pile of tyres or a wall instead of this lol.

2. Horton

Horton Member

Looks awesome mate

3. davegtcoupe

davegtcoupe Member

Looks good lad love 84 white. You for donegal this year?

4. Ness

Ness Member

Looks good! Was it you who bought the 20v from me on ae86irl? If so, Good to see it's in use :)

5. Con20v

Con20v New Member

Yeah im for donegal! Eh it probably was me? Good fit engine, just need management now. [emoji106]

6. hansen

hansen Member

looks sweet dude! much love for the 86's kinda wish i started with a standard setup but hey, what can i do lol

- - - Updated - - -

ps i want your front side lights with the black indicators!!

7. HingaSPL

HingaSPL Member

Car looks beautiful. Very clean

8. Con20v

Con20v New Member

This is just a standard UK 86 lowered on wheels tbh. And those are early sidelights! Later ones are orange! Would love to have a jap car but this will do for keeps! Cheers.

9. hansen

hansen Member

must say for what you need it for its spot on! clean and hopefully a bit more reliable now :)

10. Ellzbmx

Ellzbmx Member

Love a ae86!

11. NA6

NA6 New Member

Good luck with the build...
    Always had this weird love for 86's

12. Con20v

Con20v New Member

[​IMG]

Bought these on e of the bay. Will do my trick

. [​IMG]

Also got these rack spacers. Extra lock here we come, badly needed. Will have this in midweek and alignment sorted. Trumpets and alloy splash guard next.

Current pic when its actually clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Con20v

Con20v New Member

It does my job. Its a daily driver and loving every minute of it. Well apart from the sore back. Ill get a dedicated track car when the funds allow.

14. Shuttersound

Shuttersound Member

It's a shame it went through so many 16v engines, but in way it worked out really well. I love this car, and it just makes me want an 86 even more... :)

15. Con20v

Con20v New Member

Rack Spacers in. Mad lock now compared to standard. Getting the alignment done on saturday. Local Trackday on sunday. [emoji106]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. davegtcoupe

davegtcoupe Member

I have the same lock kit in mine it's saved me quite a few times now lol don't think i could slide about in it without them now only thing I noticed is it rubs the inner leg on the passenger side on full lock. I love early white cars

17. speedykonzales

I have to say, a very beautiful machine you've got :) Lucky with the flywheel. I had a similar thing on my Saab. Used old flywheel bolts, custom pressure plate, tried raised rpm limiter. The moment I hit the limiter at 7500 rpm, the bolts and pin were cut off. I shat myself and turned off the engine. Flywheel continued spinning until stop. Later we had a laugh and never used old bolts again.

#17 speedykonzales, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  18. Con20v

Con20v New Member

Had the car out on saturday at Aghadowey race track and what a days fun it was. Big hangs and lots of manji. Was cutting it fine the night before, clutch started to slip the weekend before due to me being a ignorant fuck so decided to change it out. Stripped the gearbox out to find not only was the clutch plate well fucked, but the pressure plate and lightened flywheel got a roasting aswell. Had no time to go and get the flywheel refaced so i had to throw a standard pressure plate and flywheel back in to the car. It took the abuse well the next day so it will do for now. Waiting on the polybushings still as customs has them.

Now for pics.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Some serious cars on the track that day. The little corolla did look out of place lol.

19. Con20v

Con20v New Member

[​IMG]

So, these arrived. Time to get busy and get them in!

20. Con20v

Con20v New Member

Polybushings in. Just driving the shit out of this everyday and enjoying every minute of it. Need more lock so power steering knuckles are going in. Also changed the exhaust to a 2.5 line to a large back box. Unsure of make, noticeable power difference? Yes. Found out about a Toda Manifold so going to look about it shortly. Trackday on saturday so we shall see how it goes. Then off the road for the winter when i get my daily sorted. Engine rebuild time, getting very smokey. Thinking about Running managment also, Omex 600/Link etc. Cant really decide, need to find out the pros and cons of both.
    Anyway. Pics.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]