bmw e30 v8 TT

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Rossco1980, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

Hi guys right this is my project ive been doing over the last year it previously had the standard engine in but was forged and turboed pushing around the 450 bhp mark i got bored and decided to have a little change,i wouldnt perticually say its a drift project but hey ho
    alot of this will be copied from another forum that im on so get ready to start ready lol

here goes

right i think its about time i start a new thread about my new engine conversion

most of you already know and have seen my other thread on my turbo engine which keeps going wrong mainly oil problems and its gone again
    so ive decide to not build it yet again as ive had enough of doing it as its on its 3rd build now so all my turbo engine parts are being sold to fund this little monster im going to do

this thread may be slow and ill update and add pics when nice new parts come or ive built some thing
    i know what im going to do isnt going to be to every ones tastes but ive always wanted to do one so im doing it

right well to start with this is going to be the monster in mind
    null_zpsb8cc5347. null_zps199ab633.

i have a few parts for it already but before i start posting it all i want to get a few more so i can keep updating this thread
    its going to be fully forged i already have a forged crank and rods, inlet manifold is going to be a tpi which comes from the 80s and 90s corvette, rocker covers starter motor engine mounts etc etc and just placed an order for some thing rather tasty

- - - Updated - - -

thought id show ya some goodies ive got for it so far
    gm forged crank
    null_zps1fb771cc.

eagle h section rods
    null_zps8bf4a67d.
    null_zps2ddefc18.
    null_zps3064047d.

my tpi inlet manifold just been soda blasted
    null_zpsb11dafe4.

which will look like this when its done
    null_zpsbe743343.

my mini high torque starter motor
    null_zps43472236.

rocker covers which will also be polished
    null_zps7d08d163.

thats only a few things i have so far as the collection continues :)

null_zpsb8cc5347.

null_zps199ab633.

null_zps1fb771cc.

null_zps8bf4a67d.

null_zps2ddefc18.

null_zps3064047d.

null_zpsb11dafe4.

null_zpsbe743343.

null_zps43472236.

null_zps7d08d163.

2. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

just thought id add a couple of pics of some of the bits i got today

new sump
    [​IMG]

and dipstick
    [​IMG]

3. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

got a large case diff thats going in from a e28 m5 210 ring gear 3.07 ratio
    with my drive shafts should be good
    [​IMG]

that specific diff bolts straight up to a normal rear beam which is a bonus yet the rear will be converted
    [​IMG]

what ive managed to do is find a rear cover from a 750i wich bolts straight on then just so happens a twin ear rear bracket from a m3 e36 bolts straight on to that which this is what ive come up with
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

This turned up today

[​IMG]

I thought it was going cheap I won it on eBay for £26 thinking its just an old cast one, turned up its only a £300 plus steel fly wheel RESULT !!!!

4. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

these bad boys turned up from the states today there just awesome

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and also my bell housing for the chevy which will be converted and going on a 5 speed box I have to pick up next week end

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

went to get my gearbox I'm using on this today wasn't cheap @ 600 notes :roll:
    but with a couple of little mods this should be pretty bomb proof

it's the manual gearbox from a mk3 Toyota supra turbo the r154

this is a uprated first gear thrust washer which is one of the mods to do as the standard one after a while just brakes or gets crushed
    [​IMG]

and this is the gear box needs a little clean but nothing a steam wash won't do

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

will soon be getting the adaptor to mate the chevy bell housing to the gearbox :)

5. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

and a couple after cleaning will give it a lick of vht or some thing too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

a couple more bits turned up today a shiney timing front cover and my high volume oil pump

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

just had a little mocking up session tonight after pulling whats left of my engine out the weekend

hopefully this is where the sump will sit but i want it a little lower may even have to do some fab work on the crossmember yet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i thought what the hell lets have a look what it looks like in there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the bellhousing on this thing is sooo big it doesnt even start to go down the tunnel so looks like the grinder will be coming out and may have a new tunnel shortly

- - - Updated - - -

got bk on it this morning managed to pull all the sound deadening of the bulkhead was thinking of finding rust
    but non what so ever bonus
    as my new chevy bell housing wouldn't fit It was either start cutting the tunnel out which I really didn't want to due mainly for mot reasons now as if a cars structure is altered from the manufactures I think I heard it won't pass an mot
    So.......

looking at what needed coming out wasn't a lot so fetling time nothing a little and big hammer won't do so got to work this is the result

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my adaptor is on order for the gearbox to the chevy bell housing which will look like this
    [​IMG]

picture is from the website I'll be using a supra clutch plate and a chevy pressure plate there is a slight difference in diameters but this combo has been used before with good results so fingers crossed
    will also be using a hydraulic release bearing as there is no room for a traditional clutch slave and fork

also I'm going to be doing the clio servo swap hoping this will give enough rooms for the heads and rocker covers but
    I'm not to hopefull so I'm thinking I will have to move the servo over somewhat but until I get the heads I'm not going to know
    from this

[​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

radiator turned up today not bad for £95

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all that was needed is the 2 original mounting points taking of and sits in there a treat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

over the weekend I've also realised that my steering joint is in the way of where the starter motor sits
    [​IMG]

I think the only way to over come this would be to move the steering rack forward by about 20mm

Does anyone know if this would hurt the geometry of the steering? I can't see it making that much difference tbh
    I think 20mm should do it
    [​IMG]

7. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

my harmonic balencer turned up today another bargain £300 worth for £100 :)

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

woohoo adaptor turned up today can't wait to bolt it all up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

so I got the adaptor the other day had some spare time tonight to see what it looks like on and the results are in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now I can get the whole lot in and start mocking up engine mounts and gearbox mounts

8. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

a whole box of goodies turned up today most of my arp bolts for the engine sump bolts, timing cover bolts ,engine mount bolts , exhaust header bolts crank pulley bolt oil pump drive shaft I know I already have one but as being arp much stronger and a stud kit for the oil pump

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

done a bit today trial fitted the whole lot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and soon ran into a problem with the sump on the distance from the bulk head to the crossmember, it's just to narrow to get the whole thing in and flat
    so with a little modification with a grinder I sectioned the crossmember

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

which will be all reinforced after I'm done but finally she's in and sort of flat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

took a couple of pics with the manifold and rad in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shifter sits near on perfect too

[​IMG]

there is one problem the reverse switch on the side of the gearbox is touching the side of the tunnel
    [​IMG]
    so that will have to be modified to get the shifter sitting in the center

but apart from the bad bits it's still progress I was meant to start making the engine mounts today but never got around to it so as soon and the sump and starter etc is all on and the motor is in the right place I can start making them :)

9. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

so been doing a little bit most nights after work before it gets dark but only get a couple of hours this is what I've been up to

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've started to reinforce the subframe I cut a chunk out of the plate I've used is 8mm thick so that ain't going no where
    not the prettiest I must admit but does the job was debating or not wether to put a piece on the back aswell just to make sure that way it will tie each surface together and shouldn't move what so ever I planned in getting the engine bk in for mocking up the engine mounts etc tonight but was getting dark and when I had the engine above the slam panel the straps decided to come lose so now I have a nice bent up slam panel

o well another job to do :?

- - - Updated - - -

thanks man

there you go new sub frame sort of lol

just gotta get the top mounts for the rack sorted now but I'd like to get the engine in place first so I know I have room shouldn't be a problem but I'd hate to do it and it be wrong

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

just done a couple more mods today on the subframe had to take down the front about 20 mm to let the sump in a little more and to lower the front of the engine and also took the rear lip off just for some
    more clearance for movement of the engine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

done abit more today and we have the final resting place
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

how about that for spot on hight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

i did make some mounts but i wasnt happy with them so i decided to bin them and start again ive also decided to do away with the standard engine mount postion
    now im gonna be coming of the inner chassis rails
    so i started with this

[​IMG]

and a big bit of angle which goes on the rail like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drill a hole and you have this

[​IMG]

i only needed one piece of the box to do both side get it at the right angle and they come out as a pair

[​IMG]

then had the get the rear angle right for the mount pretty easy as the engine is a 90 degree v8 so its 45 degrees

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just offering it up to get the hole right

[​IMG]

and there we have a mount

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now they need welding, ill cut straight to them lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

didnt really like how they were so open so i thought id box them in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

give them abit of a tart up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and jobs a good un

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

for got to add ive just bought a new set of vibra technics engine mounts to they better good the amount they cost lol

12. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

these bad boys turned up today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just give you an idea of how big these valves are lol

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

just had to bolt them on to see what they look like I thought I was going to have room problems but looks like they were made for it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

as i was looking at these i thought the turbos are going to be way to high possibly out of the bonnet didnt occur to me but a friend said flip them over so in stead of going up and forward the go down and forward

they look much better lower and room for the turbo to sit on top
    [​IMG]

then there was a problem like always they hit the mounts

[​IMG]

which means the heads dont sit flat

[​IMG]

so its either bash the manifold so it clears it which i really dont wanna do or ill have to take a little bit out of my nice new engine mounts i made
    looking at the gap under the head its only a few mm looks like it will have to be the latter

13. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

got straight on it this morning had to modify my engine mounts again as the exhaust was hitting so I marked them up and cut the section out and shaped it for the exhaust to run in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

was just going to put some thin plate but thought I'd strengthen it a little

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cut them to size and got them sitting about right

[​IMG]

then welded them in

[​IMG]

and after abit of a clean up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they do the job nicely

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all bolted together

[​IMG]

and finally resting on its own now

[​IMG][​IMG]

still got the gearbox mount to do which turned up Friday looks a nice mount

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

as the weather was crap today never really done much but did put it all together just to get an idea of what it will look like

what do you think ?????

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

well I got home while it was still light so thought I'd get a little done on the gearbox mount
    cut some box section and just tacked it together at the mo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

well got home from work and got straight on with finishing the gearbox mount looks pretty good even if I do say so my self

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

well just got home and these goodies turned up only
    thing is the bastards ain't sent me the rings so I'll be getting on to them ASAP

shiney shiney

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

a couple more shiney bits there rocker cover breathers
    billet aluminium

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

just a couple of more goodies turned up today some more arps stainless and the mains studs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

well although it's been a little slow as of late but got a few more goodies turn up

new timing gear solid drive so it will be noisy will wine and sound like a supercharger

[​IMG]

new bearing set cam bearings

[​IMG]

big ends
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and mains
    [​IMG]

rocker arm studs arp again

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a porting set as I'm going to do the heads and manifold

[​IMG]

have got some more bits coming too in the next week or so
    although I haven't done nothing there is still progress :)

- - - Updated - - -

ooooo got home and some more shiney bits have turned up my new valves for the head

Manley racing valves

[​IMG]

inlet 2.02''

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and exhaust 1.60 ''

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

well I had a little go at porting today or basically just smoothing out here's some before and after shots

before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm no expert but thought I'd have a go gonna take a long time and many hours to do both heads :( lol

18. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

although I've bought a set of roller rockers before I'm selling them now and I've bought some more, some better ones and a different ratio the ratio is just like a little tuning tool gives you a little extra lift on top of the cam old ones are 1.6 ratio and new ones are 1.5

just turned up today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

new shiny water pump

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

just a couple of pics of the head with some bits on it I still need to buy some valve springs but you get the idea

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

had another go at the exhaust ports today got them finished can't do the inlets yet as I haven't got the manifold gaskets to port match them yet but exhaust ports are finished :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and after smoothing them out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

well another new part has turned up today quite an important part
    as the bell housing is so big there is just about enough room for clearance and no room for a clutch fork etc
    so here's where this comes in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

quite a bit of kit billet ali too
    this is a slip on bearing it just uses a couple of o rings to secure it on the coller of the gearbox and it's a bloody tight fit the rear screws in and out for adjustment so will have to be set up when all put together

here's some with it fitted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you can just about see the adjuster screw on the bottom of this one

[​IMG]

20. Rossco1980

Rossco1980 Member

also I've got another rear beam of mick that I'm going to reinforce before fitting the new diff etc
    first thing is to get it blasted and get some plate

a large case diff that bolts up to our e30 rear beam

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also got a push rod length checker as I'm using roller rockers and a non standard cam the push rods will change length
    so these adjust to get the correct valve and rocker geometry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]