Miata Supercharged at first... going for turbo!

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Jarno, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Jarno

Jarno Member

Hello All,

I thought id introduce myself to DW. Since im crazy about cars and drifting. Currently not drifting but sertainly building a car that is up for it. Drifting is on the agenda!

Before we get to the pics ill quickly get rid of the boring part :)

I live in the netherlands, 25 years old. Bout a miata 92 miata with 42k miles on the clock 1.5 years back.

I immediatly liked the handling while it was completely stock, ofc it felt a little boaty so guess what i did first ;D

Lowered it and got myself some 7j rota's

then i got in a phase where your very keen on your car etc etc and took care of it well and did all the standard maintenance things to make the car pretty durable. but after 3 months i realy needed something faster so i went for a supercharger. It seemed easier then turboing a car and the poweroutput seemed enough aswell. Since i wasnt very experienced with working on cars this seemed rational.

Now its time for pics, yuy! :D

[​IMG]

Fast forward a little to where the build started to be a little interesting.

M45 mini cooper s supercharger with custom brackets.
    16% reduction pulley, good for 0.7bar of boost

[​IMG]
    A cute FMI good enough for a miata :D
    [​IMG]
    RX8 440cc injectors
    [​IMG]
    As you can see i had no TB in front of my SC for max throttle respons and a crazy continuous wine of the supercharger :o
    [​IMG]
    Megasquirt 2 v2 PNP for my miata from MS labs, in this pic i just had my launch control wired up (prepartations for the future i know that it doesnt make much sence with a sc :o)
    [​IMG]
    A 50mm bov to vent it all. SCs are continuous most people use a bypass valve that reroutes the overpressure. I chose to vent it off and have the SC always suck in fresh air.
    [​IMG]
    after 3 days the belt already broke. Because the bracket i ahd at first was too wobbly and it was pretty **** basicly. So i got an upgrade tensioner bracket to properly tention and lign up the belt.
    [​IMG]
    when it was done it looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    Results:
    [​IMG]

After a while this amount of power got boring to me (well... boring...) i just wanted more :D

so recently i started prepping my car for a GT2860rs.

I dont actualy have the Turbo yet but its on its way. Nonethe less i started prepping everything for the new boost.
    The plan is to go for 260hp at frist, cross my finger it wont explode on the dyno and then prep another engine for 360hp, the full potential of the Gt2860rs basicly.

Since superchargers dont use the exhaust gas i never needed an aftermarket exhaust. but now i will so i ordered this off ebay. I was very sceptical at first because its ebay... but there seemed to have been multiple groupbuys for this so it had to be at least of average quality.
    [​IMG]
    And ye... it fits fine :)
    [​IMG]
    Coldnessss
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the lines, man those miatas have no room around the oil filter.... very anoying:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the most recent job and the one that got me sweating the most so far in the past 1.5 years
    [​IMG]

Oh ye and i also fitted one of them torsen diffs recently... failed to make a pic of that :(

i hope you enjoyed this.

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Very cool. How's the clutch holding up?

I think it'd be a good idea to at least go to a learner drift day with the supercharger on, you'd probably find it easier with all that instant supercharger torque.

3. Jarno

Jarno Member

ye now you say it that would have been a good idea. Only that the SC has already been taken off and boxed :S. And right now it still kinda has a track setup (camber all round). Planning to lower the camber on the rear in the future.

Well the stock clutch didnt realy hold it on agressive shifts. So i ordered a flying miata kit. they are rated for 430nm of torque. that one holds pretty great.

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If you serious about drifting I think you're crazy taking the supercharger off.

In my experience they're 10 times more fun and useful when drifting than a turbo.

TBH a 230bhp supercharged car tends to be smokier, and a whole lot more fun, than a turbo car with over 100bhp more.

Too late now of course, lol

5. Jarno

Jarno Member

Ye i guess your right. But i got the feeling i wanna learn more about building a proper car before i abuse it regularly. This new project of mine is a big part of that. Also im not sure if the 1.6 with 210hp would take the *abuse* of drifting with stock internals. If i properly build that forged engine i wouldnt have to worry about that that much.

6. Combejo

Combejo Member

Hey man,

Very clean looking car! My mate has a supercharged mx5 and the power is crazy, it's like supercharging a shopping trolley :wack:.

I like the progress so far :). Any chance you know what exhaust that is? It looks great.

Cheers,
    Jordan

7. Jarno

Jarno Member

Thnx Jordan. Its the ebay m2 exhaust for 1.6 i was very surprised about the quality. It did have some beatings on arrival. Package was damaged

8. ricickles

ricickles Member

You should of taken the sump of to fit your oil return.
    Its likely you'll have got swarf in the sump now which could end badly.

9. richy d

richy d Active Member

Nobody takes the sumps off mx5's when drilling them. A bit of grease on the drill bit and an oil change before starting and it will be fine.

10. Jarno

Jarno Member

Ye. I found on the internet that people often use diesel to flush the sump. Seems logic and cheap

11. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Cool car, I have a Mk2.5 that I am about to supercharge, when I have all the bits together. Did you make your own bracket?

Ian :)

12. Jarno

Jarno Member

Hey. Thnx. Ye a mate of mine made them. U using the mini m45 aswell?

13. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Yes, M45 with Emanage Blue ECU, front mount, RX8 injectors etc...

14. richy d

richy d Active Member

Emb won't idle those injectors very well mate. I suggest 330cc injectors as those are embs maximum size for a nice idle and should still see you at just under 200bhp.

15. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

16. Jarno

Jarno Member

thats some valuable info. i didnt know that. Not realy applicable for me but always happy to learn new stuff :D

17. Jarno

Jarno Member

So yesterday i did a little more work. Compared to the work i see on this forum its nothing special but you gotta start somewhere right? :D

Pic of the new torsen diff i installed a while ago. Its significantly heavier and bigger. Very curious how itll drive
    [​IMG]

Flushed the oil pan with diesel and a little bit of oil afterwards. going to fill the car up with cheap oil for the first start check if theres no oil leeks anywhere. let it run warm and then drain the whole thing again.
    [​IMG]

for the whole oil cooler remote kit and sandwich plate i had to remove my washer bottle. I got a bag for 10 pounds from ebay but i hadn't been able to find a proper place to fit it. (believe it or not. Im starting to have a space problem with all this extra stuff). Finaly found a spot. Its actualy at the washer bottles original location and the motor connector actualy is the same as the connector on the bag haha
    [​IMG]

now i finished pretty much everything i can do for now. Now its waiting for the turbo + accessories and downpipe exhaust parts

cant wait!

Maybe in the meantime i could do some cleanup :cool:

[​IMG]

18. Jarno

Jarno Member

I was just asked to make a summary of everything i had on to reach the 210hp on the SC setup.

Here it is:

M45 minicooper S supercharger
    Kavs motorsport 16% reduction supercharger pulley
    Intercooler piping 2.5"
    Exhaust manifold 4-2-1 2.25" heat wrapped
    50mm bov
    Pulley tensioner bracket (track dog racing)
    Mounting bracket
    Supercharger outlet pipe bracket (black tubular thing on the supercharger in the pic)
    MS labs megasquirt 2 v2.0 basic PNP + IAT sensor
    Decat pipe 2.25"
    Stock cat back
    Rx8 Yellow injectors (450cc)
    Wideband Innovate MLX-L (wasnt allowed to correct on the ecu)
    Ebay Slim fans (for clearance only)
    Fuel pressure regulator (set to stock 3.0 bar only for passing MOT basicly)
    Dyno tune @ skyengineering
    Front mount intercooler (500x250mm i think, relatively small)
    Oil temp sensor
    Boost sensor (to troubleshoot belt slippage basicly)
    Flying miata happy meal clutch kit
    High grade spark plugs
    Variable throttle body sensor (stock b6ze one is just a switch which tells the stock ecu that its either Open or closed) Needed for the megasquirt)

19. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Thanks dude massive help! :thumbs:

20. Jarno

Jarno Member

Your welcome :)