Team Lovetap's Mercedes CLK 3.6L AMG

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Hpaddict, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Greetings from Sweden

Some history:

After 2 really difficult seasons with my Mercedes 190 supercharged, i decided it was time to build a new and improved drift car for the 2015 season! Even though it really sucks to sell the 190 after 5 years of projects and a lot of fun i felt it was time to move on and raise the bar!

For those who don't know anything about this mercedes here are some pictures :

[​IMG]

Link to the project thread of the 190, in swedish though: Garaget | Mercedes 190 3.6 Kompressormatad driftingbygge [Update 20/8].

But now lets talk about the new build!

The project has been planned during the past 6 month and a plan has slowly been created.. all of the ingredients won't be revealed right away, they will be shown during the project;)

With the help of my sponsor Seidoworks i have been able to visualize my plans for the build in the form of a 3d model! the full Design will be released further a head!

[​IMG]

Info:

The car is a Mercedes CLK (W209) 270 CDI -03
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Plans:

Engine:
    3.6L C36 AMG inline six (M104.941) - Fully forged
    Boosted of course - what kind will be revealed later!

Drivetrain:
    Quartermaster 3 disc clutch - Sponsored by SchmidtRacing
    Lightened flywheel - Sponsored av Specialsvarv.se

Fuelsystem and ECU:
    MaxxEcu Standalone
    VAG Coils
    ATL Fuel Cell
    Twin 044 pumps
    Swirltank
    Nuke Fuelrail
    Aeromotive Fuelpressure
    Industrial braided fuellines
    AEM Fuelfilter - Sponsored by Streetperformance
    E85

Safety equipment:
    Full Rollcage - Byggd utav MADPerformance
    Sparco 4-point Harness

Chassi:
    Fully adjustable aluminium suspensionarms with uniballs - Sponsored by Hedgehog Tuning & Motorsport
    Steeringanglekit - Custom by MADPerformance

Bromsar:
    AMG 6 piston calipers with 345mm discs (Front)
    500E 2 Piston calipers (Back)
    Pedalställ

Rims:
    Cosmis Racing XT206R
    18x9.5" Fram
    18x11" Bak

Bodykit:
    AMG 500 replica bodykit - Sponsored by MBSCAShoppen.se

Alot more info will come during the project!

Be sure to follow Team Lovetap on Facebook for continuous updates and other fun stuff!

/Mårten Stångberg
    Team Lovetap

2. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

We got the car on the 25 of october in England and drove it back to gothenburg, 26/10 it was time to work!
    First thing we did was to weigh the car when it was original, so we have a weight reference for the future!

[​IMG]
    The scale showed 100kilos without anything on it and 1500 kilos with it on, which means it weighs 1400 kilos original. A lot less than i expected.. so thats a good start to the build!

The car will be converted to LHD!

After we got the weight of the car we went straight to the garage to begin the tear down!
    A lot of friends showed up and helped me to disassemble the car, huge thanks to all of you guys! wouldn't have made it without you guys!
    After sunday evening and monday the car looked like this:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Even my girlfriend helps out in the garage, I'm truly blessed to have her :D

After another evening in the garage:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Another good thing about the car that i didn't think about when i bought it was:
    [​IMG]
    The english cars don't have any undercarriage treatment that ill have to remove, "win"!

My buddy Nyman helped me to remove the windshield and a lot of other stuff!
    [​IMG]

The teardown went quickly and the garage has already been cleaned 3 times but its still major chaos.. So on friday i will try to empty the 190 chassi of the parts that the buyer didn't buy! that way i can get rid of the 190 and get some more room for the clk! we also have to build some real workbenches so the garage actually works, its just a mess right now!

i can't help but be excited about putting the 3.6L engine back together again! this time it will be JE Pistons inside and the rods haven't been ordered yet, its the only thing missing before i can assemble it! Ill have to get the rods home before i leave the chassi to MADPerformance to get the Rollcage fitted, so i have something to do meanwhile!

You just have to love forged pistons from JE:D
    [​IMG]

My old trusty ASA 18" driftslut wheels will work fine for project wheels until the right wheel arrive from Cosmis Racing!
    [​IMG]

A bit of a messy update but the next one will be better i promise!

/Mårten
    Team Lovetap

3. Drifttrader

Drifttrader Member

I just bought a clk500 amg

4. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

I don't normally like Mercedes. But this looks so cool! Subscribed dude :thumbs:

5. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

crazy swedes

6. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Sweet cars ;)la

I get that from a lot of people ;) Thanks dude :D

hehe :D

/Mårten

7. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Update 2/11

Hello

The weekend started of with some removal of the few pieces of asfalts mat that were in the car, luckily i know a guy who works with fire extinguishers so i got 5 carbon dioxide extinguishers for free :). So it didn't take long to get it all out, i will try to fix a short video on how easy it is when u use extinguishers;)

After that it was time to start strippin the 190 of the parts that i will keep, but before i took it apart i just had to start it up one last time and hear that sweet supercharger sound;) gonna miss the old benz...

Here's a short video of the sound ;)

[​IMG]
    After an hour or so i got the engine out, its really nice when you made everything so simple that one person can lift out the engine by themselves without any trouble at all. will really put som extra time in to getting the next car like that to!

[​IMG]
    The supercharger install if someone hasn't seen how it was done ;)

[​IMG]
    Then i got the brakes of the 190, i will use these on the CLK instead of selling them. They feel bigger than i remember them every time ^^.

[​IMG]
    Then i took out the fuel system and ECU..

[​IMG]
    Veteran VS Newschool:D

I almost got all of the parts out of the 190, only some minor stuff left that i will be getting out tomorrow. So hopefully the new owner picks up the car on tuesday so i can get some more space in the garage. Even though its gonna suck to see it go...

Then i hopefully can get started on the clk for real instead of just taking it apart all the time ;)

Cya

/Mårten
    Team Lovetap

#7 Hpaddict, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  8. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Oh my god. That sound. :D That 190e looked immense! What wheels are on it? :alschaser

9. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Hehe yeah i love that sound!:D its on xxr 522 wheels 17x9

10. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Update 4/11

Last night i stripped the last parts out of the 190 and i got some help switching place of the cars, because today (tuesday) the new owner of the 190 would come by and pick it up.. After this a quick clean up took place and i then had a meeting with my sponsor MADPerformance about the CLK build.

MadPerformance is going to be building the roll cage, control arms front and back and fit my new gearbox on the engine.
    he will probably do the Intercoolerpiping and exhaust manifold later on as well.

The reason i called him over for a consult was this:
    [​IMG]

The CLK body has its oil pickup in the rear of the oilcan, while my m104 has it in the front. There for it will take a lot of modifying to get it to fit in the original subframe.. So we have decided to go with a S13 front suspension instead, So Madperformance is going to help get the s13 from suspension to fit with a custom subframe with will allow the engine to go as far back as possible!

So now its all in trying to find and order parts like pedal box, bucket seats and front suspension of an s13 to have as a mock up.

So Today was the day my loved one left me, after 5 years of upgrading and fixing this car it was time to say goodbye...
    [​IMG]

Gonna miss the old chassi with its angry front and beaten up race look...

[​IMG]

So many fun and good memories from when i built, drove, fixed and developed this car! This was my second car i ever owned and it has gone through pretty much all states from a bit of a sound car, streetcar, street race car and full on Driftcar..
    This car has definitely got a whole lot of blood, sweat and teers in it and i sure will miss you old merc!

[​IMG]

Bye Bye Merco!

Feels a bit sad to see the car drive away from the garage... But it opens the door for the CLK that hopefully one day will come to mean as much to me as the 190 does!

Time for some sleep!

Cya

/Mårten
    Team Lovetap

11. xtrmjks

xtrmjks Member

Jag har set dig i Garaget!
    Ser bra ut!!

12. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Tackar :)

13. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Update 10/11

Hello

Since last week i have been doing a lot other than actually building car..
    I have been busy contacting sponsors, finding parts, selling parts, planning the build and much more.. But i really think its important to put some time on this in an early stage so i get as much sponsors as possible and don't have to wait for parts...

[​IMG]

Gonna be running a Tial 60 mm Wastegate on the new build! bought it from my garage friend jimmy!

[​IMG]

I laid all the parts for the c36 engine, fuel system, pistons and a whole lot of goodies on the same spot so its easy to find!
    it feels so good knowing the fuel system and other stuff already exist! And i found the Smoking skills shirt in the shop, had to put it in the picture for Driftworks:D

On Saturday i went to my friends garage to sandblast the body, its not much rust on it but i wanted it gone;)

[​IMG]
    It looks so empty!

[​IMG]
    In action!

[​IMG]
    Rust sucks :p

Of course it started raining before we got done, so all the sand we were supposed to get rid of with the air gun got wet and stuck... And it was time to return the rented trailer so we had to go without putting on any rust protection..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So after sprinting to the garage to unload the car we got some new rust, but its not much.. the worst is gone just have to brush it off before putting on some rust protection...

[​IMG]
    Then i went away to get my new front suspension at my friends garage, my friends in backwoods garage hooked me up with a cheap suspension from their spare car! Big thanks for that!

Tomorrow i will tear down the chassi on the clk and collect all the parts that will be send to the sandblaster during this week.. After that i will try to remove a lot of brackets and unnecessary weight of the car, might also have the time to start cutting away the rear end for the bash bar;)

Cya guys!

/Mårten
    Team Lovetap

14. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Update 12/11

Hello

Yesterday it was time to move around a bunch of stuff to get more space for the car so i can get the chassi mounted in a chassi stand (or whats it called in english.. :p). When it was in place i took the chance to remove the rear axle and start to pull it apart for sandblasting..

[​IMG]

The chassi parts always rust...

[​IMG]

After a while the subframe was empty, so i put it with the other parts thats going to be sandblasted.
    Gonna remove the bushings before sandblasting though.

[​IMG]

Then the reciprocating saw got to do some work, it was time to remove some metal from the back to get ready for the new bash bar!

[​IMG]

Gone!

[​IMG]

Yummie, its gonna look so good!

[​IMG]

Used the tuborg to get a picture of how it will look with the fuel cell in the back, everything seems to go accordingly to plan!

[​IMG]

The Fuelcell will be mounted with a water cut frame along with a tube frame around it, the main bash bar will be outside of the fuel cell they will be not be connected to each other.

I will be refine all the cutting later this week and hopefully get hold of a bore to get rid of all the brackets that i don't want.

Cya!

/Mårten
    Team Lovetap

15. L0NG JNR

L0NG JNR New Member

Really nice project man. Keep up the good work. Will be following this build closely.

16. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

thanks man :) i will try, always fun to hear :D

/Mårten

17. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Update 16/11

Hello

Got some garage hours done this weekend, the body is still on a diet to loose some weight.. But there has actually been some welding done to the body so it feels good to actually start doing some work in the right direction ;)

[​IMG]

Started out with buying a bunch of cutting discs and stuff so i just could work without having to go buy stuff, then i sat down in the trunk and removed all the rust that was there.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to drill out around 100 spot welds to remove all the brackets i don't want, some for just weight saving and some for space:)

[​IMG]

So maaany spotwelds...

[​IMG]

After a couple of hours there was a pile of scrap that had come out from the car :D

[​IMG]

Some of the plates in the engine room only needed some spotwelds removed to come loose but others had to get removed with the cutter!

[​IMG]

After a while almost all the junk was gone so it was to reweld the spot welds that had been drilled out, and seam weld the plates where all the spot welds was removed when shaving the engine room ;)

[​IMG]

I mean these plates behind the engine that have been shaved as low as possible ;)

[​IMG]

Weld weld ..:D

[​IMG]

Got a much cleaner look and a lot more roomy after this, I'm satisfied!

Tomorrow its time to box the frame and start making mounts for the bash bar, and also overall grinding and rewelding spot welds. Then its time to prepare the chassi swing to get the mounts to fit on this body!

Cya

/Mårten
    Team Lovetap

18. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Update 25/11

Hello

The last week has been a busy one and a whole lot have happened although i haven't remembered to document it all, but the body is almost ready to be dropped off at MadPerformance to get the cage built! But heres some info on what has been done during the past week.

[​IMG]
    Bolted on the oilpan on the broken engine block and moved the flywheel and clutch to the block so i could drop off the block and bell house at Madperformance so he can fit the new gearbox correctly!

[​IMG]
    While i had the engine hanging in the engine lift i might as well try and see how much space i got.. it looks like i got a lot of room for the engine and it sure helps a lot having a normal steering rack instead of the 190s big old lump...

[​IMG]
    Then it was time to smooth out the rear frame legs and make endplates to have something to mount the bash bar to!

[​IMG]
    Weld it shut in the back

[​IMG]
    And in the front!

[​IMG]
    When this was done it was time to put the doors on a diet, i weighed them in at 35 kilos each!:p

[​IMG]
    And after some cutting and stripping they only weigh 20 kilos each, but there is still some weight to remove and smooth out the cutting a bit as well as fixing plastic windows!

[​IMG]
    Then it was time for some bbq of the bushings in the subframe, so i could drop of the parts at the sandblaster!

After a while the bushings were out and i sorted all the parts. During the week i also managed to set up a design for the front and rear bash bar! i think this will be real good!

I also have some great news to share with you guys! All the meetings and calls to potential sponsors pays off and i can proudly say that i will be running Cosmis Racing XT206R on the CLK!:D
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Cosmis Racing Wheels Europe and Seidoworks these rims will be making the clk look badass! I really think they look dope and can't wait to mount these on the car!
    The wheel sizes are:
    18x9.5 ET10 Front
    18x11 ET8 Back

They will fit perfect on the clk!

Contact Cosmis Racing Wheels Europe if your interested in a set!

I have had a couple of sponsor meetings the last week and i hope to reveal some more good news during this week!

Stay tuned!

/Mårten
    Team Lovetap

19. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Update 17/12

Hello

It was a while ago that i made an update, but thats not because i haven't done anything quite the opposite actually!
    Its been har to find time to make the updates and its not really that fun to see a bunch of updates about cutting and grinding^^.

But enough about that, heres the first part of what has happened since the last update!

[​IMG]
    About a day after the last update i mounted the body in to the chassi swing to make the work easier.

[​IMG]
    So much easier to work when u have the chance to reach every area from a good angle!

[​IMG]
    As you see on the pictures there was quite a lot of rust above the rear axle and quite a few places where the rust had started coming beneath the seals, so it was time to start brushing all the rust away with the angle grinder.

[​IMG]
    The piles was stacking up quickly and i had to clean the garage on a daily basis but it always seemed to look like this:p

[​IMG]
    I took the time to weld some of the holes that i don't need, its important to make good pieces before welding it.

[​IMG]
    It takes some time but it turned out good:)

[​IMG]
    Big thanks to my friend Stefan who helps out all the time! So good to get some extra hands!

[​IMG]
    Other fun news are that my friend Nicklas Nyman has moved in to the garage with his new build! its a Bmw E36 thats gonna get a wide bodykit, m50 Turbo engine with some awesome rims to slay a lot of tires with!

[​IMG]
    And I'm proud to present Street Performance as a continued sponsor for the 2015 season! Stopped by their place and picked up my new seats for the CLK, i choosed to go with the Sparco Corsa seat thats really good looking and fits me perfectly!

Are u looking for a couple of seats for your build, or anything regarding motorsport in general just hit em up at their webpage or visit them at Backaplan here in Gothenburg!

Hem

[​IMG]
    They will look so good in the car, the seats was bought with Fia Approved mounts and rails so it will be safe and look good! can't take shortcuts with the safety!

Thats was all for this time around, I'm going to release the next update this weekend that will be about more awesome parts and more sponsors thats coming onboard and of course more progress on the car!

Cya around!

//Mårten
    Team Lovetap

20. Hpaddict

Hpaddict Member

Update 4/1

Update 4/1

Hello

Its full speed a head with the build, but i haven't had the time to do the updates so I'm gonna try to catch up here ;)

Im gonna start with telling you that I'm proud to say that Hedgehog Tuning & Motorsport are continuing to support us again this year by sponsoring us with all the adjustable suspension arms for the rear axle. They are made in 7075 Aluminium with uniball rod ends, they are really light, strong, sweet looking, fully adjustable and don't flex!
    [​IMG]
    Really good stuff, Contact Hedgehog Tuning & Motorsport for your own set!

[​IMG]
    No unnecessary brackets will survive this diet ;)

[​IMG]
    Important to get it all out the way before the roll cage!

[​IMG]
    The Rust removal is coming to an end!

Then they called from StreetPerformance to tell me that a few new parts had arrived, so i went straight there after i ended work!
    [​IMG]
    The parts that had arrived this time was my brand new Tilton Pedalbox together with the Tilton brake fluid container! These parts I've been looking to get for a long time, i was going to use this pedal box in the 190 but there simply wasn't enough space to get these to fit! But the Clk is another story, YAY finally!

[​IMG]
    Then the parts came back from the sandblasting, a bit late but didn't do much as they were really thorough with the sandblasting! looks great!

[​IMG]
    The first thing i did was to seam weld the subframe so it will survive the harsh treatment, i will also triangulate some of the brackets to give it some extra strength!

The same week i got the call that my Cosmis XT206R rims had arrived to my friends garage (Vc Racing), so i headed out to get my new babies! I wanted to get them home because the chassi was soon done to take down from the chassi swing:)
    [​IMG]
    18x9.5" Front 18x11" in the rear, unbelievable finish, lightweight and gorgeous design! Cant wait to see them on the car! Its 4 9.5" rims and 6 11" rims, so i have spare rims for the front and a couple of sets for the rear!

Are you interested in a set of your own Contact Driftworks or Seidoworks in sweden!

[​IMG]
    After a couple of hours with the angle grinder the rust removal was done! then it was time to protect it from rust and then start assembling the original front suspension again so MadPerformance can have the original suspension as a template for the s14 suspension swap!

That was all for this time, i have a lot more to update with so if you want some more sneak peaks follow us on instagram or Facebook!
    www.Facebook.com/TeamLovetap
    or Mstangberg @instagram

Cya

/Mårten
    Team Lovetap