Daily drifter s14 build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Srs_721, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

The car is now running a rb20 and is halfway through a pretty intensive rebuild so skip to the last couple pages if you dont want to read boring stuff haha.

Currently looking like so

[​IMG]

After owning my 14 for a few months and finally getting it up to spec i thought id start a thread. Might interest someone or maybe give someone the inspiration they need to build their car and go have fun!

All started with my capri which i restored this time last year and got the feel for rwd.
    All the work was carried out at home on our driveway/garage including the shitload bodywork. I am very lucky to have a dad who is a awesome panel beater and mechanic [emoji106][emoji106]
    [​IMG]

After a lot of thinking i decided to sell her in april for a few reasons mainly because i have always wanted to drift and as much as i loved the capri it dawned on me that i could cash it in, then use the money to fund a car and the insurance.

A few weeks later i came home with this.
    [​IMG]

Found it on ebay, missed out on bidding on it but thought ill message and see if the sell Fell through. After a week of messages back and forth it was still there so went and picked it up.

Pretty clean for a 14, Bit crusty underneath and despite running rough with bad vvt rattle it was a bargain.

It now sitting like this..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Safe to say its finally made some progress, Haven't done any proper drift days yet due to the fact i have very little spare money at the moment and i wanted the car 100% ready.
    Proper skids soon i promise!
    Will update this a bit more soon [emoji106]

#1 Srs_721, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. Njansson

Njansson New Member

Sounds nice, looking forward to see the progress. :)

3. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

that capri is the nuts !!! nice 14 btw

4. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

The Capri just looks wicked! what engine have you got in it?

5. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

Cheers guys.
    Capri had a pinto in it, rebuilt the head and 32/36 weber, full exhaust and electronic ignition ect went bloody well!

Would love to drop a sr in one thinking about it... Future project maybe [emoji1]

6. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

What causing the 14 to smoke that bad ?

7. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

It was a proper cold morning and only just started it up, the turbo is pretty dead as well so sometimes that puffs a bit.

So i have got a fair bit done since owning it.
    Brought some Tein basic coilovers, stuck a cone filter on, pigeon mod, got a new fmic to replace the blown up standard one, serviced it ect and tidied up the bay, replaced rocker cover gasket and painted that up.
    Also did a few cosmetic changes and took the spoiler off, managed to get the front bumper sitting a bit better

Brought some 350z wheels and refurbed them, found some 6mm slip ons in the garage to go with them.
    Brought a shotgun exhaust to replace the apex sensible that was fitted, Already had a 3" downpipe and decat so it sounds awesome now and exactly how i wanted it to be [emoji106] Also brought some cheap hid's along with various led bulbs for interior and some purple led strips to go in the foot well. Stuck a cheap boost gauge in where the ash tray used to sit, does the job for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The turbo has always smoked a little but when i put the shotguns on it went mad and filled the street up with smoke. Not being in a position to replace the turbo i thought ill try the one way valve trick and surprisingly it worked perfectly. Stopped all the smoke apart from a puff after letting off the loud pedal.

Stuck some new pads on the back and sorted out the seized caliper. Fronts were like new so left them and gave the calipers a coat of paint to neaten it up. Also made a bmc stopper which does give a better brake pedal feel.
    [​IMG]

Drove it, did some streeto, did some lifestyling

[​IMG]

Minty fresh inspired [emoji1]

[​IMG]

Got it a bit lower by cutting bumpstops and only running 1 locking collar.

8. Mykolas

Mykolas New Member

looks nice, good to see clean s14

9. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

Finally convinced my good pal jack to cash in his mk2 golf for a real car. He brought a s13 then blew it up a week later, Agreed to help him get it back on the road in exchange for a mint t28 and a few other bits.
    Wouldn't be a engine swap without standing in the engine bay would it?
    [​IMG]

Anyway a couple months on and that turbo still sits in my shed waiting to go on haha.

Got a short shifter with the turbo so stuck that on, hated it at first but loving it now.
    Stuck a set of rack spacers on and ground down the lock stops.
    Installed some subframe collars and found a nice surprise when the dodgy sill repair fell off in my hand...

[​IMG]

Clutch started slipping quite bad at this point and felt really shitty so i brought a Xtd paddle and flywheel set up. Would have preferred a exedy or act but out of my budget. Anyway all good so far and feels really good.
    While i was at it i got rid of the clutch dampener bullshit, managed to bend the hardline straight into the slave.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let it bed in for a couple hundred miles before giving it some stick, and its all good still. Lightweight flywheel makes for lovely throttle response compared to stock.

Next up i finally got in the garage for some much needed sill repairs. Drivers side is all done now after completely rebuilding the rear and patching a few holes along the front.
    Welded up the diff as the vlsd stopped locking up properly, bush's didn't seem to bad but defiantly want to change them out in the future.
    [​IMG]

Sold the 350z wheels and brought another set. They measure in at 18x8.5 and 18x9 or 9.5 at the back cant remember tbh [emoji1] et is pretty gay so still running the 6mm slip ons.
    225 40s all round

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need to sort the fitment but pretty stoked on them, they look like the r33 wheels and the front pair were brand new. Need to re-polish the rear lips though.

10. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

So thats pretty much it, well the main bits anyway.
    Obviously to get the car aligned properly i need some proper adjustable arms. So with Driftworks offering 0% interest and 10% off i went for the 4 arm package which arrived on Monday [emoji106]

[​IMG]

Propeur nice bit of kit and I'm glad i went for the Dw stuff over the cheaper ebay stuff.
    I have previously tried to adjust the rear camber with no luck due to a ridiculously seized bolt, So i soaked all the rear bolts and set to work on the front tension rods.

[​IMG]

Set to standard length for now. I have copper greased all the threads and packed the rose joints with grease to hopefully avoid any issues in the future.

I then attempted to get the drivers side rear arms on... What a load of agg! The camber bolt was not moving for shit and ended up rounding the head of the bolt off.. Bollocks. Did get the toe arm off in the end to try get a better angle on the camber bolt but by this time it was pitch black and cold. Had to stick it all back together as i had to use my car the next day plus i it was pissing me off. Typical nissan.

Yesterday i attacked it again and after a shit ton of wd40 i got it to move a bit but it soon become apparent that it was stuck in the bush insert. No chance of getting it out and didn't want to stick some heat onto it due to the fuel tank being inchs away. Got the air hacksaw out and cut through the insert/bush most the way, Then snapped the bastard off! [​IMG]

All the other bolts came out with no real dramas and soon had it all together.

[​IMG]

Later on today im going to get the other side all fitted up, hopefully ill have less trouble but it is a s14 so i wont get my hopes up haha. When the other sides done im going to dial out the rear camber so i can finally get some fitment going on. I'll try sort out the toe roughly as well then get the much needed alignment done.

11. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

good work mate, when she going skidding then?

12. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Good progress so far dude!

13. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

Cheers man.
    I was hoping to get to a drift day before the end of this year but im not sure its going to happen tbh. I might be able to hit up norfolk on the 20th dec but not set in stone.

As much as id love to go to one right now, i think it might be more sensible to spend the rest of this year to get the car how i want it. Then i can focus on getting to as many events as possible next year [emoji106].

[​IMG]

Got the rest of the rear arms on and pulled out most of the camber and set the toe by eye. Left the traction arms stock length.
    Got the rear fitment half decent now, lowered it some more after that photo so now you can just wedge a key in there!
    Archs haven't been rolled yet so spacers are needed then i can play the fitment game properly [emoji106]

Had a play with the front top mounts to see if i could get the front down more. Managed to change the spacer the top-mount sits on for a couple of suitable sized washers, Gained about 12mm from that. As it stands now i have very little travel on the front but i reckon i can shorten the springs to give me some adjustment to play with. Hopefully drop it another 10mm at least

[​IMG]

14. Cougahhh

Cougahhh New Member

Subscribed, looking forward to seeing some more progress on this!

15. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

Got the car aligned today at super tyres in maldon, Proper nice bunch of dudes down there and know what they are doing as well.

Had a few issues with the rear, Ended up raising it half a inch and rolling the archs a bit to gain some clearance. Didn't want to get half of it set up and have to come back again to finish it.
    Got plenty of room to space out the wheels now and to be honest the car will drive better anyway so no big deal.

[​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Based the set up on Mitto's set up, with a touch more camber on the front.
    Haven't drove the car much and it was raining but it defiantly feels better, And seems to have a fair bit more grip on the corners [emoji106]

16. jcautobody

jcautobody New Member

Capri's rule. Check out the MK1 rover v8 one me and my mate built. Won a trophy at wheels day 2011 and got a full feature in retroford 2010. Although they are not mega power the rover v8's weigh less than the 1.6 pinto than was in it. Still almost tickford power and looks substantially cooler!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All mk3 suspension, power steering and the all important 3.09 LSD axle. She loves going sideways and is perfectly balanced. Light as a feather.

17. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

Fuck me that gorgoues

18. jcautobody

jcautobody New Member

Thanking you kindly squire! Check out my yellow one. Running a 5.7 litre 1970 'vette lump. Capri's really are the nuts. Gotta get 'em as close to the deck as poss. These are 15's lol...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#18 jcautobody, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  19. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

Thats bloody lovely!

20. jcautobody

jcautobody New Member

If you want more power than anyone on the forum for considerably less money than anyone else on the forum checkout jegs.com and dump a 350 Small Block Chevy in yours. They go in lovely and you can get them clunking out more ponies than a Supermarine Spitfire without them even breaking a sweat. Yeah they are heavy but only 60kgs more than the essex v6 that used to be in there. Plus the rest of the car is light - there's nothing to them. Just get it in as tight to the bulkhead as you can. Plus they look and sound awesome...

[​IMG]