S13 driveway build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Adamround123, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Nissan 200sx S13 driveway build

Bagged myself a nice 200sx today, fairly cheap... I think :p Only have the one photo at the moment, it was dark when I picked it up! Work wll begin tomorow so I'm sure there will be pleanty more pictures to come
    IMG_20190608_221454_zpsh5nfo87b.
    [​IMG]

#1 Adamround123, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JonnyOk

JonnyOk Member

Photo bucket dude. Upload them to the app then copy the image url on here.

3. Fin

Fin Member

Another black s13 :D I like! Good luck with the build mate

4. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Blacks my favourite! :D

Got a fair bit done today got the interior stripped to inspect for rust and I'm pleased to say there's only a couple of little holes that needn't patching up, seems fairly solid
    [​IMG]

Moved onto the engine after as I couldn't really be bothered to weld it up today,
    I bought this one with a blown head gasket so I had a go a stripping the head down,
    [​IMG]
    Just getting started

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got the belt, pullys and cam covers off and that's about it for the pictures at the moment, managed to get the head off in the end but it was getting dark so I called it a day!

[​IMG]
    Here's the head off and on my bench!
    [​IMG]
    That's probably going to be it now until next weekend, dark nights and all that crap

#4 Adamround123, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

Great car and great jumper too lol

6. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Haha cheers! That's not me that's my mate :p

7. Ross.

Ross. Active Member

Thats a 200sx. I saw this on eBay - IIRC it was pretty pricey?

8. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

I call it a 180 cus it's got the 1.8ca in it that's all haha, I diddnt think it was particularly expensive

9. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Stripped the head today ready for a skim, found a crack in the inside of my exhaust manifold
    [​IMG]
    Is this common on these? Might just have to treat it to a nice shiny stainless one.. Be rude not to:p
    [​IMG]
    Here's the the damaged head gasket, looks bad, I'm glad it's off!

If I get chance tomorow il do a bit of cleaning and painting while I'm waiting for my gasket set to arrive

10. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

Yeah it's common to find a CA manifold crack there. Aparently it doesn't affect them.

11. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Ah that's put my mind at rest then thanks :thumbs:

12. mynameised

mynameised Member

Yeh mines cracked in the same place at I had no issues :)

13. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Right, under further inspection this weekend it looks like my engine is more damaged than I first thought.

Stripped it down completely today and it seems that cylinder 3 and 4 have got a little too hot and have gone bad..
    [​IMG]

I believe this is also to do with a dodgy oil pump
    The shells are looking worse for ware aswell
    [​IMG]
    These shells still say nissan std on them so I'm thinking they have never been touched

Now I'm looking at either a full engine rebuild, boring the cylinders out and fitting up sized Pistons, new main and big end shells, gasket sets, oil pump, head skim, crack test, valve seats cut, the works!
    Iv priced it up and it looks to be going on for over £500!

Or do I just go ahead and buy a new ca for £200 and throw it in, obviously this is slightly more risky as most of the time there is no history with the engine but it's also way cheaper...

My ca is on 138k at the moment

This is my first one so I'm just asking for anyone's opinion who's had a fair bit of experience wether to build the engine or just throw a new one in?

14. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

That bore is terrible. I imagine it'll need a re-bore. I've seen worse when it comes to the shells but they are worn.

I rebuilt my CA about 6 months ago. From personal experience I would budget at least £1000 for a full rebuild. Actually cost me more than that and I didn't have bores like yours but I did fit a lot of new parts which you might not need to.

Like you say, if you throw in a different CA you don't know what it's like.

My advice would be, if you have time and money then rebuild.
    If you don't then a different CA would be better. But keep the old CA and rebuild it when you can.

15. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

I just don't have the money for a full rebuild if it's going to cost that much :(

The way I see it from what you've said it would cost, I could get 5 engines give or take for the price of a rebuild...
    Yes it's more work to keep swapping engines if they go bust but it does spread the costs out

I would plan on building this current ca as a spare if I put a new unit in though so I would have a spare for an emergency

16. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

Basically, shells your looking at £150. Oil pump I'd say £100. Re-bore,head skim and block skim £150 to £200. I imagine you'd need the skim with that amount of heat damage. Pistons £50 if you get them second hand, a lot more if you don't. Plus your gasket set. Don't know if you've got one yet.

And what caused the excessive heat? Was it just head gasket or does it have another problem.

I don't want to put you off, just showing you the price of things from my own experience.

17. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

I'm on the hunt for an engine now, Iv decided a rebuild is going to eat too much of my budget, so if any one knows of an engine for sale let me know :thumbs:

Been getting on with some other things while Iv been searching for an engine
    Painted one of my rocker covers to compare with the other one
    [​IMG]

Made a shotgun back box out of some 3 inch piping, can't decide wether to put the longer pipe on the inside or outside :p
    [​IMG]
    Think I might have a go at making the rest of the exhaust out of this from the cat back as I'm pretty pleased with the outcome of the back box

Whipped the trans out for a spruce up seeing as the engines out it only took 10 mins, seems ashame to put a nice clean engine in and leave the trans dirty!
    [​IMG]

And of course I gave it a decent clean seeing as the weather was good at the weekend.. Quite pleased with how straight the body is on it, hardly any marks on it at all
    [​IMG]

Stripped the brakes down today so they don't seize up, I think it's gonna be on the drive way for a while..

While k was stopping the brakes down I noticed some more rust in the rear wheel arches I the bottom corner near the sill, not that bad but just more welding that needs to be done, to be fair tho there arnt that many ventilation holes in the car it's fairly solid!
    Only needs a bit on the chassis leg at the front, 4 patches inside and the two holes in the rear arches

Il take some pictures of it at the weekend when I get back to work on it

18. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

I think the exhaust looks good how it is in picture. Front end looks really good.

19. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

I agree it does in that one but in this one I think the long one is too long and needs more angle
    [​IMG]
    I love the front end now Iv smoked the indicators but I think I'd like it more with a pig nose :p

20. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

I have two pig noses but I prefer the look of the facelift. You can't be picky when buying a 13 though can you lol.