My s13 200sx build (slow build...)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by kane_launder, Dec 17, 2014.

1. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

I have been looking over the builds and on driftworks for some amount of time think its about time I get involved!

I have been into drifting for as long as i can remember thanks to my dad. He has had his 180 for about 8-9 years now i beleive. Its what i learnt to drive in and have been hooked ever since.

[​IMG]

I was also lucky enough to go to japan with my family for a holiday and while we where there we went to ebisu for round 1 of the 2008 D1GP! Got to meet so many drivers that i have been endlessly watching in DVD's and on youtube!

Bit of car history (will be short)
    My first car was a 1989 AE92 corolla. Loved this wee car! Unfortunately had to sell it as i was moving to the mainland from northern ireland.

[​IMG]

After a while i was ready to buy another car and had to be RWD so i got myself an import MK1 Mx5. Drove it for a while but wasnt really me!

[​IMG]

so i sold it and i was carless AGAIN! Decided it was time to get a car that i would be happy with and not get it just cause it was RWD!
    So after some searching i realised that finding a clean s13 was going to be a problem! Found a few that i wanted but when came to putting down the deposit the owners backed out of the sale!

After exhausting alot of efforts i came across a completely standard s13 auto with 64000 miles on the clock so got my dad to go look at it since it was in Northern ireland! He went and looked at it and told me it was a good solid car! that was enough for me the money was transfered and i now owned a s13.

[​IMG]

Problems:
    It was and automatic!
    My job didnt allow me to come and pick the car up for a few months! Was gutted!

so again I (my dad mostly haha) was hunting on the internet getting parts for the conversion. Got converted then i got a call i didnt want to hear! the gearbox was SH*T! Got Paul at PJS auto engineering to take it apart and tell me what was wrong because it was supposed to be a reconditioned box! The issue was whoever rebuilt it didnt clean it properly and dirt! yes dirt! was the issue. Once it was put back together it was perfect :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that i bought some BC Racing coilovers got them put in and then i came and collected the car! Drove it about for a while!

[​IMG]

Got the diff welded by Stuart Roy off SXOC, he was a great guy and many thanks to him!

#1 kane_launder, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

Nice looking 13, good luck with the build.

3. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Thanks :) have a few parts that I need to get pictures of :)

4. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Next was to look for some wheels! The biggest issue i had was eventually i want to go 5 stud so do i buy some cheap 4 stud wheels and save up for the 5 stud conversion then buy new wheels again.
    Luckily Chris Burnett had his Works VS's up for sale and the best bit was there are both 4 and 5 x 114.3 :)

[​IMG]

I was really happy with them! Genuine 3 piece works wheels :D got the front two wrapped in Nankang NS2-R's and the rears in some random landsail tyre :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Got my wheels on the car! Perfect fitment no need for spacers to clear brakes or to bring the out the arch :) excuse the 4x4 ride hide it will get lowered when the weather gets better. Even more so when i get my hands on an arch roller. Again mine and my dads in the background.

[​IMG]

Being happy with the new wheels and the grip of the Nankangs would be an understatement!

I got a set of BRIDE seats for the Mx5 but didnt get round to fitting them! So they sat in my parents roof space! when i knew i was coming over i ordered the Driftworks low seat rails. My early Christmas present to myself!

[​IMG]

No time at all was taken to fit them! The seat rails where a great job! now it matches with my bride door cards and glove box :)

[​IMG]954878_326207500921297_6396734757001419628_n

Also seen this BRIDE bag and sad i know but just had to buy it!

[​IMG]

oh and we had snow for about a day if that but still managed to have some fun ;)

[​IMG]

5. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Wow, so your dad is into drifting? Rad! I only recently got my dad to go for a ride but he gets it now.

I'll be honest, it shows you've got a bit of an oldschool influence:

-Buys solid, auto car over arseholed manual options
    -Genuine wheels and quality front tyres
    -First mechanical mods are quality coils and a locker

This is going in a very good direction, all it needs is some shots of you shredding at a drift day.....

6. mynameised

mynameised Member

Awesome that your family is into drifting, my dad likes fishing lol

Good luck with the build mate looks like an immaculate s13

7. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Yeah he has been drifting for a long time! and thanks for the comments about my car, it is one of the cleanest i have seen :)

For anyone who is interested here is his car and some of the changes it went threw.

This is what it was like when he first bought it about 8-9 years ago! Awesome looking car!
    but after a bump or two on track it needed some TLC but the issue was matching the paint!

[​IMG]
    so since it was going to be mainly a track car and not a street car it got a radical colour change :D this was back in 2008 :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this was when he drove the car to a track day that we decided to go to last minute :) my favourite picture!!

[​IMG]

Then after years of track abuse the car killed itself! so it got stripped! Engine out and again a new colour more street this time :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the car is fully road legal! it has just over 400bhp on 1.3 bar of boost on a Tomei turbo which is between the size of a GT28R and a GT30 :) with coming on boost round 3500rpm

So to say it runs in the family is good :)

#7 kane_launder, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. mint

mint touch my fruit

Wow, Your dads got a cool car! :) I took my dad out drifting one time.. I dont think he enjoyed it ;) lol.. however it resulted in him buying and building a westfield.. almost convinced him to come to crail for a hoon about.

Your projects looking good. Your lucky to have a dad so involved man. :) Good stuff.

9. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

I'm liking the new wheels a lot.

10. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

Looking forward to seeing more updates dude! Your dads car is sweet [emoji106]

11. Fin

Fin Member

I wish my dad drifted haha, that is seriously awesome dude! Like it has been said before, that sx of yours is super neat, definitely a mint find :)

Good luck for the rest of the build , it's good to see people doing the correct mods , just a question, also looking that coilovers options for my 13, reasons why you went with the bc's ? :)

12. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Thanks for all comments! :)

Went for BC's because they were tried and tested on my dads car and he had no issues!

13. Steve1093

Steve1093 Member

Love the 92 corolla! And both sx's look proper clean, wish my old man would build a drift car too!

14. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Well had my first drift day out in the car! It was the most fun i have had!

My dad an I with the help of Slawomir Adamski got a few hours booked at Eglington which was more than enough!
    So we loaded the cars this morning with enough tyres, fuel and fluids that we could possibly need then we set off! It was about an hour and a half drive.

[​IMG]

We arrived got everything unloaded and changed the tyres!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took my time just learning the car! Weather was raining at the start of the day then it stopped. The track was still damp. stopped for a bit to take turns just to get a few pictures (bad pictures at that) then we cracked on until our time was up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wore my helmet for two reasons first i spent the money on it so i was gonna use it and secondly because i had a GO PRO on it! Once i have had a look might try do a small edit :) but expect hands all over the place and maybe a few swear words!

Interesting thing i learnt about the car was that with ABS it stops your brakes working when your going backwards! so next thing is ABS OUT! and then more track time :)

15. Fin

Fin Member

Yes gotta love the s13's ABS, did the delete but still haven't tested it :facepalm: Looks like you had good fun man! Thanks for the reason on why bc's (seems to be the tried and tested way to coilover the sx )

16. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

Yeah i will be doing that before my next time out on the track! or removing the fuse to see if that works

Looked at some of my GoPro footage and put a small video together of some good bits :) Im happy with how i got on considering its my first time out on track and drifting :)

Let me know what you think :)

17. Fin

Fin Member

Looks awesome for the first time out on track! Your car still running ca by the sounds of it? :)

Can see you've watched a lot of option DVDs and d1gp vids because of your "SAAAFE" after your dad had a bit of a spin ;) haha

18. Dastardly

Dastardly Member

I think you did brilliant for your first time. I've been 3 times and I couldn't go that fast.

19. kane_launder

kane_launder Member

First off Merry Christmas everyone :)

Got front and rear set of camber arms for Christmas so more parts to fit!

Yeah I'm pleased with my transitions and entries for the first time :)
    I have loads of dvd's of D1GP and D1SL! can't beat 2006 d1gp :)

And yea standard ca18 it's a good strong engine so why change(for now;)). I am thinking about the Horsham developments stage 2 chip and the mods they recommend:

Free flow air filter
    Free flow exhaust
    Boost controller to achieve 15psi boost pressure
    Uprated intercooler
    T28 turbo from an S14 200SX
    Super unleaded fuel (>97 RON)
    Uprated fuel pump

If anyone can shed any light on this or past experience it would be great!

#19 kane_launder, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  20. Tazzy-lee

Tazzy-lee New Member

Great start buddy im a newbie to the drifting. World looking for my first s13