Rich's FD Daily/Drifter

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Rizzy, Dec 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rizzy

Rizzy New Member

Hello everyone. My names Rich and I've been lurking in the shadows here for sometime... Having owned the FD for nearly 2 years now, and as things progress and begin to get more interesting, I felt now was a decent time to get a build thread on the go.

Word of warning, this thread will be pretty picture heavy :nod:

[HR][/HR]
    I'll keep this a brief as I can and just quickly bring you up to speed to how the car stands today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, when I first bought the car it was reasonably standard bar the MS01's some seized up D2 Coilovers and a nasty XSPower Intercooler...

Sat around the 80k mark in mileage on it's first engine, it was clear that it had been cared for. None the less, with no tax, no MOT and 2 or 3 sheets of Japanese service history, this was definitely one of my more risky purchases :cool:

Nonetheless, the engine still lasted another 5 months before finally letting go of one of the bearings in relation to the eccentric shaft.

The sound track for that goes a bit like this...

http://vid1194.photobucket.com/albu...A1A1693-1435-0000011C69592E46_zps2bf10b42.mp4

[HR][/HR]
    Decided to have it street ported with uprated seals while it was being rebuilt as I do plan to go single turbo at some stage when funds allow.

And jumping ahead now quite drastically now to how the car currently sits today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, a fair bit has changed with plans for plenty more down the line. But I'm at a stage now where I'm happy and I can thoroughly enjoy it, so I'm in no massive rush.

I managed to get it down to a DWYB day back in September which was awesome.

[​IMG]

Only problem I had was that I was using a friends stock S14a wheels on the rears and found it very unmanageable to what I was used to. So ended up spending most of my day in the pens destroying his tyres instead :cool:

Had a few half decent goes on the kidney but I'd really like to get back there in the new year as I feel I've progressed a lot with it since that day having learned a lot while I was there.

[HR][/HR]
    The last thing for this year was a trip to Curburough with a few friends for a day of fun and a bit of Handbrake practice :D

http://vid1194.photobucket.com/albu...ead/Video 18-11-2014 13 30 40_zpsm5n7tmtg.mp4

I'm still toying with the idea of welding the diff as, needless to say, the car is definitely heading in that direction.
    The rats nest has also been simplified down by a friend, so a few more removals and it will be setup to run
    non-sequential which is something else that I'm pondering. Just on the basis that all of the above would definitely benefit it in the world of drifting.

Cheers for reading :wave:

2. Steve1093

Steve1093 Member

Looks fantastic buddy! Definatly got a soft spot for these...

3. Rizzy

Rizzy New Member

Cheers man, yeah it has always been one of those that you always just hear horror stories about. I'm constantly being asked about the negatives, what problems have I had, what's it like on fuel. But then it's again one of those that when you drive it, and everything fall into place, none of the above matters. Saying that I feel I've been very lucky as since the rebuild I've only had a few issues here and there but no more than I'd expect from any 20 year old car. I think that's why I don't won't to push power figures to much and disrupt that reliability. It will always have it's niggles but at the moment it has more than enough power to play with.

The clutch will be the next thing that I'm expecting to go, so currently doing bits of research in terms of what to go for with what it's used for.