1uz rx7 fd3 advice

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Lukeypoo, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Lukeypoo

Lukeypoo Member

Right.. Soo ive ripped the "soul" out the fd and pulled the v8 from my donor..

Gearbox solution im going with the driftmoto kit allowing the use of a e36 m3 box

Its the wiring thats got me thinking.. I know it was never going to be easy, I have the engine loom and ecus out
    But what next?!

I cant find a build thread of a previous uz fd to look for advice..
    As it stands im considering delooming the whole of both cars and fitting the soarer loom into the fd so all that would need was some plugs swapping and probably alot of resistor..

Basically I need someone to tell me no. Do it like this??
    Failing that anyone know who I can give the car to, to make it work??

Many thanks
    Luke

2. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Good look with the looms lol. I had the same idea for my skyline, but the soarer/LS400 have more wires than a battleship it's just not worth the hassle. You have a few options, send the 1uz engine loom and ECU to driftmoto who will modify it for about £350. Or what I'm doing is use a kit car loom for the car, and a megasquirt loom for the engine.

3. davey

davey Active Member

Speak to NORFY on here, he's done many of my conversion looms and I keep going back to him as the job looks great, everything works like it should and the price is unbeatable! Its not worth my time to do them myself when norfy does them so well and cheap!

4. TheMR2V6

TheMR2V6 New Member

This things are always a handful. If you don't have some previous experiences in car looms and general electric knowledge step away from this and let the pros or someone with those skills do it, or if you are character like me inflict pain to yourself and learn it. Mating foreign chassis and engines is difficult because things do not match at all. The first step would be to get detailed el. schemes of both donor and patient and study both in details. It is very daunting at start. But start slowly, do some notes and comments on scheme until things clear out. You should start with power circuits, because these are probably the ones you had to cut in order to remove the engine everything else is still wrapped and connected. I don't have any experiences with UZ engines and looms. But no mater what engine- chassis combo you have you have to bolt in the engine with loom. Provide power to the loom, sort the starter and charging circuit. Problems start to occur when you don't have original key and immobilizer. You must get an ECU expert to remove it if possible. If an engine has E throttle you have to use. Because ECU very iffy if there isn't one if it should be (it won't work no matter how hard you try to ditch it). Sort all this and it should start. If the ECU has possibility do the engine diagnostic, sort all the error codes or at least the most important ones. Make the gauge cluster work. ( this could present a real challenge). Then make the loom neat and tidy (which is a chapter of it's own).

I have probably forgotten many things because there is no short and simple answer, but you should get the general picture. Also I have to emphasize to insulate everything well with heat shrinks tubing, avoid soldering ( crimp things together), or replace the whole section if possible to minimize joints and finish it off with tessa tape and ziptie things so they stay put and don't shake as much.

Best regards

Rok

5. tinker-27

tinker-27 Member

To get the FD wiring is not to bad , it's only tacho , fuel pump feed, speedo , alt,water temp, oil pressure , there is loads of info out there as most of it will be the same as a ls conversion . If you get stuck I can give you some pointers

6. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

the FD/1uz wiring is easy. 1uz/RX8 is the killer :D

if your using the stock toyota/lexus ecu its 5-7 wires to get it running then as tinker said just a few more to sort the rest.

Have you fitted the engine and box?

7. karl44

karl44 New Member

I know this is nearly a year old but any progress with this conversion?