nisvo turbobrick, volvo 940 daily drifter.. now with added jap

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by pwalker, Jan 27, 2015.

1. pwalker

pwalker Member

the Nisvo, volvo 940 daily drifter.. now with added nissanness

bored at work so i thaught id put this up......

first of me and my mate went halfs and baught a volvo 940 2.0 turbo for the laught...it had a few problems with it and basically was a bit off a dog but still it was a laugh....anyway we took it on a drift day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we had a laugh but the car didn't seem to want to run right, misfiring, not wanting to boost, not wanting to rev past 3.5k, shot a few parts at it and nothing seemed to help. in the end i bought my mate out of it stripped the parts i wanted to keep off it and traded it to a mate who does banger racing for a scrapper 1j soarer.

i later stumbled across another 940 for sale on here. i couldn't really afford it at the time but this one actually looked clean (well in a way) and more importantly less molested and i had to find a way to buy it lol..which i did.

This one is a late spec 940 2.3t which has the better engine/gearbox/management etc. these late spec b230 engines can handle 350bhp!...although they are only 130/160 standard. most importantly i got the car for only £350 in the end! bargain!

Before i had baught it it had not long ago been on an around Europe charity trip and had been stickered up and bits of hideous orange trim and grill.

the only pictures i have of it...
    [​IMG]

the engine bay was actualy proberbly one of the cleanest engine bays out of all the cars id had lol.

[​IMG]

re-sprayed the silly trims and grill, de stickered. put a new bosch lambda sensor in it as it was playing up a bit. baught some wheels to run with the spacers and put on all the new ignition parts i had baught for the previous one. aswell as air filter, decat pipe, back box, wind deflectors etc.

anyway..one day at the unit we had my brothers ps13 up on the ramp and were pissing about and decided to compare the suspension set up to the volvos and surprisingly they looked pretty simelar. the fact he had just upgraded to wisefab and had a complete set of front s13 adjustable arms and coilovers laying around helped boost interest. looking at it we thaught there was a chance it might actualy work...so we started stripping one corner of theb volvo suspension off.

the two set ups side by side, slight difference in height lol
    [​IMG]

things seemed to be going alarmingly well!, we did have to use the s14 knuckles left to right from the way they were meant to go because of the rack being in front on the Volvo and behind on a 200sx. but we thought as the knuckles had already been modded for little or no Ackerman that it shouldn't be that far out. also decided not to bother with the anti roll bar for now...the volvo ones are way too soft anyway.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no brakes on but thaught wed see what it was looking like....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 pwalker, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. pwalker

pwalker Member

fitted the skyline disk and wheel spacer,

[​IMG]

the skyline brakes should themselves be a nice upgrade

[​IMG]

wheel spacer fitted to clear the brakes....and a bit lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

once we got the other side to the same point we found it had massive anti ackerman for some reason.

this is the left wheel turning left (inside wheel)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

the left wheel turning right (outside wheel)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

i made some daft little plates to try help me figure out where the tie rod ends would have to mount in order to get the ackerman right. (these plates were actualy way 2 flimsy i had to make mk2's lol)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

#2 pwalker, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. pwalker

pwalker Member

after shit loads of playing about and about shit loads of tie rod lengths i was finally getting somewhere near. from everything i had been told the relationship between tie rod end mounting point in relation to the main ball joint was the only thing that affected ackerman. but i discovered that the angle of the tie rods also affects it. and after comparing to other cars with a front rack i noticed the tie rods tend to angle towards the front of the car when the wheels are straight. this is how they were before the rack spacers. pretty parallel with the bottom arm.

[​IMG]

i got some driftworks offset rack spacers for a nissan and got the bolt that goes into the rack machined to fit the volvo rack. i also got some slightly longer caster arms made so i could bring the wheel forward and allow a better angle again on the tie rods. if i wanted i could also use them to raise the tie rods up a bit to reduce bump steer and sacrifice some lock. (which i may have to do)

showing the rough location of where the knuckles had to be modded to.
    [​IMG]

4. pwalker

pwalker Member

we found the best position was basically as close to the disk as possible. i found some more standard knuckles and we cut and welded them to where we thaught.
    id also installed lower stiffer back springs and when we got the car back on its wheels i still couldnt test it because it didnt have the suspension travel lol... butchering time!.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

back arches had to go on aswell as a few other daft jobs for its Mot but she was eventually ready
    [​IMG]

litterally got it on the road and had to use it to get to work as id been stuck without a car for a while now,it drove a bit of a dog but considering it hasnt even been tracked or alligned its not that bad lol, the caster/ camber/ everything couuld be a mile off.

survived its maiden voyage to work!
    [​IMG]

5. pwalker

pwalker Member

it still has a long way to go and needs a fair bit doing. there is quite a bit off bump steer atm and the front end is bouncy. the pre load has been wound right up to the absolute top just to give it the ride height its at now. plan is to take a spring off on wednesday get it measured etc and get some taller coil over springs which should help the ride quality having less preload and also give me some usable adjustment height wise, if i raise it up a bit it should also help reduce the bump steer. also about to order some stiff adjustable rear shocks.

the lock
    [​IMG]

aswell as all the suspension work if also chipped it and upped the boost. will now be running at aprox 220bhp and its actualy surprisingly quick...and with the 195s on the back its spinning up the rears coming on boost in third when its slightly damp.
    playing after installing the chips

to keep the nissan theme going (nisvo) i baught a rb25 turbo which i hope im right in saying is a conceptua hybrid with steel internals, this should bring her up to 300bhp or close to it :) im holding off upping the power untill i can get a clutch.
    [​IMG]

also need to install my new age Subaru seats (wanted nissan but these were a bargain) for it to get rid of the hideous thing i have in now. i also am going to re-install the carpet! :O i stripped out the drivers side carpet when i put the seat in and its the worst thing i ever done. iv properly fell in love with this car since and dont want to strip it any more. my plan is to keep the interior and make the back out into a makeshift bed so that when i go away drifting/motocross i can tow a car/bike and just sleep in the back rather than camp. even though im 6"4 i can actualy comfortably fit in the back haha.

#5 pwalker, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  6. ratgreen

ratgreen Member

This is fucking cool.

Having owned a 940 myself I can say the bay is spotless, and props for experimenting with different arms.

mooorrreeeeeee

7. pwalker

pwalker Member

Cheers man, il keep updating it should be progressing a bit over the next few weeks.
    First jobs are to sort niggles and refine all the suspension n that get it all working nicely then time for POWERRRR!

Just had confirmation the turbo is a Conceptua one and good for 350bhp so perfect for me wanting 300 :D.

8. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

This is amazing haha! I want a volvo..

9. pwalker

pwalker Member

There brilliant haha I never thaught I'd grow up to like volvos lmao, after my experience with this one id love to do a engine swap into a 340, all Volvo red blocks are aparantly a straight swap meaning the 2.3 should go straight in. And this big heavy 940 actualy goes surprisingly well as is never mind a tiny lightweight 340.
    There easy as fuck to work on you can practically get in the engine bay with them. There easy to tune, the standard front mounts are the size of a normal radiator, even little things like having a empty hollow tube going through the firewall so you can put your own vacuum lines through for a boost gauge/wiring etc! Iv never found that on a car before haha there's so many likeable sort of querky things lol

10. qwerty

qwerty New Member

Excellent work with the suspension. Looks great with those wheels and arches.

The red blocks bolt straight into Volvo 360 not 340. 340's used Renault based small block engines whereas the 360 used the big block volvo engines.

11. pwalker

pwalker Member

Cheers
    You sure? Ahh well I was close lol

12. DanMateX

DanMateX Member

13. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

That steering lock! Man this looks immense...

14. pwalker

pwalker Member

well i now have some new front coilovers to try, hopefully theyl sort the front end out, and also ordered'd some adjustable rear shocks to go with the springs. hopefully shell be riding smooth next week.

15. pwalker

pwalker Member

Nice pic from the other day by kurt Blythman photography [​IMG]

16. woods1

woods1 Active Member

Bump on any updates? Can you tell me what arches and where you got the map chip?

I'm looking around for a 940 myself and this defiantly makes me want one sooner

17. Bozu

Bozu Member

Nice Volvo mate! What make are the rims?