Chidleys M50 Turbo E36 Road/Competition Car Build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by chidley, Feb 1, 2015.

1. chidley

chidley i like fingers

Right, so many of you are already familiar with who I am, and the kinds of cars that I've built the last few years, and destroyed at the same time.. well, it finally dawned on me that building 5 grand cars to go and have some fun in, and eventually smash up and end up losing eff loads of money on, wasnt the sensible thing to do, especially as my income is pretty damn low by anyones standards..

So, I sold the PS13 I recently bought ;-

[​IMG]

To pay off all my bills and debt to the bank that I've owed for tooooooo long...and I was given an E36 as a part exchange against the PS13 ;-

[​IMG]

Clearly it needed some money spending on it, and it needed to be made mine, and made to be a decent skid car with potential of seeing me further my drifting.. so I went out and spent some money on it I had left over from the sale/debt recovery...

Bought an M50 Non Vanos engine after helping my friend Tommy turbocharge his engine, and seeing impressive results after I drove it, which made me want to do the same to this.

Basic spec is gonna be:

Stock M50B25 NV
    328 Pink Injectors
    Adjustable FPR
    Flashed ECU
    S/S Manifold
    T3/04 china charger off eBay, cus its being used by a lot of people Tommy knows and see's good results
    Homemade Downpipe
    FMIC
    7-8psi of boost to begin with until moneys better
    318is Drivetrain
    6 point Driftcup legal Roll cage
    Lows
    Lock mods
    Skids

Set about modifying the engine to the same spec as Tommy's engine so we can basically run similar engines and upgrade as and when we need to, kinda piggy backing off each other, so if one has an issue we know to sort it on the other to prevent it happening kinda thing.

Added a oil return to the sump using a posh fitting I bought

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Added Pink 328 injectors to the rail, and an aftermarket adapter so you can run an aftermarket FPR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bought Rota's cus I like them

[​IMG]

Bought Lock Mods cus they were cheap

[​IMG]

Fitted Lock Mods & coilovers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test Fitted Rota's

[​IMG]

Made splitters and fitted canards

[​IMG]

Made side splitters cus I like them

[​IMG]

Bought Intercooler hosing and Intercooler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lowered the arse the traditional way.

[​IMG]

Lowered the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitted Rota's again

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and now its currently being stripped down to prepare for the engine change :)

also, hate the rear arch extensions, so I've bought some Felony Form rear fenders for it from local hero Richard Grindrod (Driftworks E36 for those who dont know).

Thats where I am at the minute.

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

That is literally the smallest turbo oil return I've ever seen in my life. What's the ID of that fitting?

3. chidley

chidley i like fingers

It is small compared to every other engine ive seen, i may end up changing it to a larger fitting cus I'm not convinced it will drain well enough, kinda trial and error with that to be honest. From memory it's about 8mm

4. saquzi

saquzi New Member

That's just too small. The oil will "flood over" i think, so you will have oil on your cooler pipes and exhaust etc... And a lot of smoke.

5. chidley

chidley i like fingers

^ I kind of understand what your trying to say, but it physically can't flood over. The oil return pipe is too long to let it, and it's all sealed... There won't be oil on anything trust me. The only thing that could happen is the pipe itself builds up with oil and backs up to the turbo, possibly blowing past the seals and burning thru the exhaust, but in fairness turbos don't tend to pass much oil thru them so it's 50/50 that could happen. We shall see anyway, as said, I'm not entirely sure on it

6. saquzi

saquzi New Member

Well, yes. but the "golden rule" with turbo oil returns, is that the returns pipe diameter are atleast the same size as on the turbo... I have always had atleast 13mm diameter pipes/fittings on every setup.

7. Jites

Jites Active Member

wtf... I loose track of your cars but didn't you just build a badman one-via?

8. chidley

chidley i like fingers

Yeah 1/2", that's the diameter I want to use if i'm honest

9. chidley

chidley i like fingers

Yes Jites xD basically nissans are costing too much and restricting my driving cus i get scared of being aggressive and dont have as much fun.. so back to a cheaper motor :)

10. Tony N

Tony N Member

I thought this was supposed to be a budget car? :wack:

Yeah as said, that drain is way too small. I made exactly the same mistake on the Corolla and ended up pulling the sump from the car to change it, so I'd do it now while it's out.

11. Jites

Jites Active Member

I can relate, when I started a decent s14 was 2K not 6! I sold my beat up silvia for the price I bought it at pretty much and moved to a considerably cheaper RX8. Problem is no cunt drifts them here so there are very limited parts and knowledge so using what ive learned with the Nissan to make my own shit like tie rods :)

Just skimmed read this, answered my question on the first post haha!

12. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

Who is this Tommy guy ? Sounds like a prick ! That oil return does look very small now it's been mentiond tbh , mine is the same size as the outlet , we should probably sort that before putting the engine in

13. chidley

chidley i like fingers

seeing as I know you tony, and you've done it already, ill take your advice and change it while its out! :) much love xxxx

ps, you wont believe how little this car owes me ;)

- - - Updated - - -

FUUUUUUUU hes my hero <3 <3

14. chidley

chidley i like fingers

Today I did this.

[​IMG]

...notice the fenders sitting inside :wack:

also stripped the front end down ready to pull engine. just got cold and dark fast and I dont do good in those conditions. so i played on forza.

[​IMG]

:euge:

15. driftyste

driftyste Member

Can I come n pick upr brain cus I wanted to do this for ages but was always sceptical with no management .Plus I'm much better in a bma!!! Might sell the merc

16. chidley

chidley i like fingers

By all means.. Altho let me get this running first lol

17. driftyste

driftyste Member

Sweet I'll get mark to bell u sometime

18. Hazzles

Hazzles Member

Looks awesome so far! How much were the Felony fenders?

19. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

He means in your pipes, not on, and he's right. He's Finnish, so English not perfect, but his tech knowledge of it is.

With that return you're massively likely to have oil pissing through the seals in to the exhaust and prob compressor side too, making a smokey mess, and fucking the turbo too.

And turbos pass plenty of oil. If it's coming thru a -4 line (about 6.5mm ID) at say 60psi, it needs a fuck sight bigger than 8mm (it looks less) to get back at atmo pressure. In fact, due to crankcase pressure, it's likely to be returning fighting against pressure...

Holset specify 19mm minimum, for example.

20. esomethingian

esomethingian New Member

cant wait to see more!