Lifestory 180sx from New Zealand

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by brimcp99, Feb 22, 2015.

1. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

This is my 92 Nz new 200sx I brought it in September 2006, when I got it; it was an auto ca18det and was stock. I brought a written off s13 200sx that had been converted to a red top sr20det manual so I could convert my car. I ended up selling the old ca18det for $1000. I did the conversion by myself over a couple of months in my shed.

Since then I’ve fitted a Gtir t28 turbo, Apexi Safc air fuel controller, custom intercooler set up behind the radiator support, moved the radiator back and installed Primera fans on a thermo switch with manual override.

Also built a 3 inch exhaust system from the turbo back, made a oil catch can, made handbrake lock pin, put in a LSD from a my Cefiro with new non Abs drive shaft. Installed an s15 radiator, HKS blow off valve, K&N pod filter with custom 3-inch hard intake pipe, (the air filter is now in the front left wheel arch.) Installed Uniden alarm. Nardi suede steering wheel

Moved the battery to the boot, installed Full r33 Turbo skyline brakes with rotors redrilled to four stud, and machined down on the lathe. I got some Rays Engineering three-piece wheels, which are 17 x 8.5 at the front, and 17 x 9 at the rear, with 25mm spacers on the rear and 15mm on the front. I fully disassembled them and got the centres all powder coated black. I also removed all the ABS using a gtst master cylinder and lines.

I just finished painting it at home after fitting a full vertex kit. Installed an electric windscreen aerial so I could fill in the old aerial, removed rear windscreen wiper, spoiler and squirter, rolled and flared front and back guards with a guard roller. And blanked off the keyholes.

Future plans for my car include getting coilovers, (just king springs at the moment) new larger airflow meter, and tune, possibly cams. And enjoy it for a while.

When I first got the car I put my volk wheels on it.

[​IMG]

The car i stripped for parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ca and auto out.

[​IMG]

The sr redtop to go in

[​IMG]
    Radiator and cooler setup

[​IMG]

Solid intake before paint

[​IMG]

Gtir turbo on

[​IMG]

Exhaust i made
    [​IMG]

Kit fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because i painted a panel at a time then masked it off the car ended up like this

[​IMG]

It was like christmas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flared gaurds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handbrake lock pin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

Bit of an update, as some of you probably know I parted out a Type X. I sold everything but kept the HKS coilovers, front strut brace and rear sway bar for myself.

I’ve also brought some front Cusco castor arms, rear toe arms, 25mm front spacers and got some taillights for free of Brendan chur.

Fixed and resprayed front bumper and left guard.

I’ve also made up an A frame for my car so I can tow it behind my ute to track days, tows mint, ill put a pic up once I paint it

Got it all certed as well so im nice and legal. Was going to wait until I put my bucket seat in but apparently the price of certs is going up heaps.

Type x damage
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally finished and painted my A frame, I had heaps of old 2k paint lying around from jobs ive done before so just mixed it all together, was mostly blacks and whites so came out grey.

The frame hooks onto the factory tow hooks which have been beefed up with steel plate to fill them in with a hole big enough for the pins to fit through, the hardest part was wiring the brake, indicators and tailights to come on with the tow ute. I wasnt to keen to wire to every individual brake light so ended up just tapping into the factory 200sx brake switch, indicator switch etc.

The car tows mint it follows you were ever you go, only downside is you cant reverse with it, but if i ever get stuck ill just un hitch the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 brimcp99, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

Bit of an update.

Decided to get new wheels to take advantage of my rear flares more.Installed Walbro Fuel pump aswell.

[​IMG]

17 x 10 +6 Rear. 17 x 9 +15 front

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some Bridgestone vinyls made up, cheers Fevah.

[​IMG]

Pic of my Nardi steering wheel i never put up.

[​IMG]

Installed all type x seats, modified rear brace mounts slightly so back seats will fit in (just)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought id throw some pics up of how my A frame hooks up for anyone interested.

Had to beef up factory tow hooks and weld in a plate to make a hole for the pins to go through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is good for ramming people in busy traffic :lol:

[​IMG]

The lights hook up just like a trailer

[​IMG]

Ready to roll in the holux

[​IMG]

4. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

Bit of an update, took my car of the road for a bit to do some stuff i keep putting off.

Installed an Exedy heavy-duty clutch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I brought a Chinese dump pipe of trademe and had to modify every thing about it. The flange that bolts to the turbo was twisted like a P fiend. The flange that bolts to the rest of the exhaust was pathetic (never going to seal) because the 3 inch diameter has to fit in the factory stud spacing so it will bolt up to a factory exhaust, so cut that off and welded a real one on. Then went to fit the 02 sensor and oh fuck@# joy s14 and s15s have a larger o2 sensor so had to make up an adapter fitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also removed my old leaking power steering rack that’s done over 200 000 km and put in a new one from the type x I parted out. I made up some steering rack spacers. In a photo below you can see the difference in thread length between the s13 nz new 200sx and type x tie rods, for some reason the type x ones have about 6mm less thread. I wanted to use as much thread as possible so brought some s14 tierods and tie rod ends as they have the same amount of thread as nz new 200sx ones and are also thicker. With these in and the spacers there is actually more thread engagement

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also brought some sub frame lock collars, I got the full circle ones, which meant I had to drop the entire sub frame. It wasn’t to bad just remove the exhaust, undo lower suspension mount, undo brake callipers and cable tie them to the suspension, then the whole sub frame can be lowered enough to slip the rings over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First day back on the road did a dirf round a corner, no one else around, 10pm Sunday night by myself, industrial area, undercover cop sees it, car impounded for 28 days, 6 months loss of license, $1000 in fines, YOU’VE BEEN S.L.O.T ED (sustained loss of traction). Don’t do it fully not worth the risk and consequences, lesson learnt for me.

Car in impound

[​IMG]

Got my car back from impound ages ago, no damage, they looked after it well for me which was good. I saw them moving cars with forklifts so was stressing id come back to find my car with massive holes in the exhaust and rooted side skirts.

I pleaded not guilty to sustained loss of traction and managed to defend it in court and got the case dismissed just a week or two ago. Stressful as hell and cost me a bit but worth it, especially to have my licence over new years plus nothing on my record, chur. Im fully not going to do skids/drifting at all on the road any more, they can screw you sooooo hard if they want to. Next time some pre pubescent hoodrats jump out in front of you and tell you to do a skid, tell them to f@ck off or you’ll run them over, you’d honestly get in less sh1t than doing a skid.

Ive done a few small things to my car in the past few months, fitted some 40 profile tyres (off the type x I parted out) in stead of 45, size is now 235/40/17

[​IMG]

Made up a new overflow can out of alloy.

[​IMG]

Made up some 45mm spacers to run my factory 15’s on the back at drift/skid days, the back was waaaayyyy to lose without them. Looks lame, but tyres are cheap as hell.

[​IMG]

Fitted my battery properly to the battery box, hopefully it’ll prevent me from getting a battery in the back of my head if I ever roll my car.

[​IMG]

5. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

deleted

#5 brimcp99, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

I have been spending a bit and time and money on my engine. I brought some s15 injectors and had them cleaned and tested. I also sent away an airflow meter I got from my mates rb25 cefiro to be checked by anything electronics.

Also brought another fuel rail of max as my one was damaged, brought a gizmo IBC electronic boost controller and new o2 sensor.

The plan was to drive up (from Napier) to my mates place in Auckland on Thursday, swap the injectors and fuel rail over on Friday morning then take it to Sochi on Friday afternoon, then go to a track day at Hampton downs on Saturday.

On the way up I developed a major ignition problem, the car would miss at over 3000rpm. Had a real stressful Friday morning trying to fix it. Nisbits in Takanini really helped out and let me try an ignitor pack and when that didn’t work another coil pack, it turned out to be the third coilpack stuffed (because I didn’t disconnect power to it when I did a compression test on my engine)

Quickly drove back to my mates place put in the injectors and afm in then rushed to sochi for a tune, got there about 2pm.

Sochi ran it on the dyno and it was having massive problems controlling boost, turned out my prehistoric hks blow of valve was leaking, so brought a new hks one from sochi as it was the only one that would fit ($425 bucks, fuck). As soon as this was on, boost was controlled sweet, then intercooler pipes started blowing off so flared them and it went fine. Made 213kw at 1.24 bar, sochi was happy with this and so was I. It has alot less mods than some peoples cars at the same power. Im still running factory ECU, factory cams, s15 injectors, rb airflow meter, Gtir t28.

Took it to Hampton downs track day, car went mint apart from getting a wee bit hot. The C Clip on the wastegate actuator rod came off, but Ron lent me his one as he blew the head gasket on his car. So yeah, got there in the end even though I had a couple of stressfull days, cars got good power now, im happy with the engine setup and will be leaving it like this. My turbo is burning oil at idle so ill have to get onto that now, as I don’t want to damage it anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boost controller fits mint in the left air vent.

[​IMG]

Also painted the back interior of my car, it’s a real mission to do once the cars got good paint on the outside, you have to mask up all the outside and inside windows because of the over spray so ended up mixing up some 2k car paint and putting in on with a paint brush. Actually came out all right, I wasn’t to fussy as I chuck all my tools and tyres on it so its going to be rough no matter what.

- - - Updated - - -

Thought Id share with you guys what ive been up to over the last year.

Since my last tune the gtir t28 started to smoke like a bitch, I took it apart and just as I was sending it to be rebuilt I noticed a massive crack in the exhaust housing around the wastegate hole.

I sourced two more housings and they both had the beginnings of cracks as well, I have since found out that gtir exhaust housings are really prone to this so decided not to use a gtir t28 (had been trying to use one so I didn’t have to get a retune).

So managed to find an s14 t28, I had to re do hot side intercooler piping. I also Riv nuted a panel in-between the radiator and intercooler, mainly so tools don’t fall down the gap when im working on the engine.

[​IMG]

Also fitted a thicker radiator, I had to remake both inlet and outlet water fittings on the block to make it fit, came out sweet though

[​IMG]

Im real happy with the new fans and how the radiator sits in the engine bay.

[​IMG]

Remounted catch can to the side, I made a bracket from steel, I wanted to get it out of the airflow from radiator.

[​IMG]

Also re did my rear heater hoses in silicone, had a mission finding reducers to go from 16-19mm, as the CA heater hoses are 16mm and SR are 19mm. Ended up finding some weird glass reinforced fibre ones used in campervans or something.

[​IMG]

I moved my gauges to the airvent space, I made up a panel out of alloy, drilled and tapped some threads into thick Plexiglas then bonded it to the inside of the dash so I could screw the panel into place. There autometer / autogauge, whatever cant remember, the good usa ones anyway. I stole them from the piece of shit r33 I finally sold (never figured the miss but still got good money for it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don’t like stickers on the exterior of cars so I am making use of my sunroof.

[​IMG]

Sold my clear taillights, I really don’t know why I used to like them, but I did.

I used a candy red concentrate in a clear, while I was at it I wet sanded and polished to crap out of the rest of the taillights. I’m really happy with them, I actually prefer them to type x lights, “cleaner”?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cant remember if I put up a pic of my overflow tank?

[​IMG]

Oh yeah finally found some clear silicone tube to use for my overflow tube, stocked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exterior pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior.

[​IMG]

I got my car retuned in October, only difference since last time is s14 t28 and Gull force ten fuel, made 221kw and lots lots more power down low, the baby blue line on the chart is the old power curve, so glad I didnt stick with my old turbo.

[​IMG]

Some of you guys have probably seen the wheel clamp I made for my car, its solid as fuck as doesn’t move on the wheel at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive also recently got a job with these guys http://www.we-can.co.nz So should be able to make some wicked parts for my car.

Still got a heap of stuff I want do to it, have some knuckles in the works ive been doing for over two years now haha, also have s14 lca’s to go in.

7. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

Long time no update.

Have mainly been working on getting my wheels sorted for the last few years lol

I brought 2 18x10 vs-mx wheels of kurt a few years back, they had bad curb damage and no centre caps, then brought a set of 4 vsmx wheels of yahoo japan and did a mix and match with the lips and centres to end up with 18x10.5 + 15 and 18x9 -5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I machined all the curb damage of the lips at work, because the alloy was anodized when I machined the outer lip there was a noticeable difference between the raw alloy and anodized bit, so had to sand back all the anodizing with 120 grit then go right through the grit range up to 1200 grit, then autosol aluminum polish with mutton cloth, did it all on the back of my hilux with it in 5th gear jacked up. Worked mint, just took about four weekends to get them all looking like glass and made a mess of my ute.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the centre's, they were chrome plated alloy, I had to get the chrome stripped of with a special chemical in Hamilton. I was going to get them sandblasted after this but by the time id cleaned up the alloy with a wire brush it seemed keyed enough to powder coat directly, so just got them powder coated arctic white.
    Also removed gold shit under the centre caps and cut a thin bit of stainless steel to go under each so its now silver looking from the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used all the silver nuts and bolts that came with the four wheels from japan to re assemble. Finding spare high tensile m7 nuts was a mission

[​IMG]

Finished

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made this foam circle so I can polish the lips without getting black polish residue all over the centre's

[​IMG]

8. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

I scored some type x lights from a car I brought and sold but am thinking of going back to the original lights with tinted red indicators, they just look cleaner to me and fit with the early 90's theme of my car, plus can use the money for new coilovers etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jimmy crowley

jimmy crowley Rouge Dori s15

Looks like you've had this car a long titime and put alot of man hours in . Loos good keep it up

10. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Looks great. I'm impressed/envious of your ingenious fabrication work

11. kochmonkey

kochmonkey New Member

brutal wow muy bueno

12. jaywilltyler

jaywilltyler Member

Awesome! This is what I plan to do with mine, what do you do for work?

13. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Love it, whats the second set of wheels?

Also love the Works :)

14. Fin

Fin Member

Absolutely amazing build dude! Love the amount of work an passion that went into it :D Keep it up... personally I dig the type-x lights, as all the sx's in South Africa have the ordinary lights :p

15. DriftZ

DriftZ New Member

Erm... no they don't.

But im 100% behind the Choice of handling ( ie - coilovers ) over Aesthetics! .. Good Work @Brim.

16. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

Thanks guys, good to know all the hard work is appreciated.

The second set of wheels are called dtm drifts, there just a cheap Chinese wheel.

I work as an engineer for Heinz Watties now but mostly built the car while I was at home with an undiagnosed illness doctors couldn't figure out.

Have a few little things I want to do still, have a bomex rear spoiler and want to get some bc gold coilovers as the hks ones that I have arent in the best shape. Have just been concentating lately on getting rid of all the little annoying things when I drive the car like squeaks and rattles and exhaust fumes coming into the car.

17. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

Me and my mate Issac went halves in a cefiro from Turners that has had a frontal, it’s a rb20e auto. We are going to do some dodgy repairs and mods to it and use it down at the river. In Hawkes Bay there are two massive rivers that have heaps of flat area between the stop banks to drive round in. Every one takes their dirt bikes and buggies and stuff down there.

Ive done a bit off stuff on it at my place. Fitted issacs old bluebird bumper and drilled some speed holes. I bolted the old corner lights in behind two off the holes so people can see the car better at the river and hopefully wont get run over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

Fitted a new radiator I got off Jimbeam for free, made some bonnet pins using some bolts with a hole drilled through them with some R clips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. brimcp99

brimcp99 New Member

20. Fin

Fin Member

Well majority of them have ordinary lights :p haven't seen a type x kitted and rear light one sliding with us yet