350z VH45DE

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by david.fryklind, Mar 24, 2015.

1. david.fryklind

david.fryklind New Member

Started a thread a few days ago but something went wrong and it didnt get posted so ill start a new one :-)

For now im going to keep it short since im using my phone to post this and im nowhere near my computer with all the pics.

Im from Sweden but the car is a UK 350z GT, came with some got bits and a healthy tune at 301hp.

I had already decided before i bought it that it needed a engine swap, problem was i couldnt decide between a RB or a VH. Ive already built acouple of RBs (25, 26 and 30) so i wanted to see what Nissans v8s were like.
    Said and done i got my hands on a low mileage JDM VH45DE S2 from a Nissan President. It comes without EGT, with VTC and has metal chain guides so its the best of the stock VHs.

I finished the swap last spring, took me every weekend that past weekend to finish but i made it just in time for Gatebil in Norway. Worked a treat and use it as my DD all summer.

On to this past months work (and why):
    This past fall i decided to register it legally with the VH. This requires it to be registered as a "Modified Vehicle" in Sweden. That means you have to not only swap engine but also gearbox (was using the stock Z33), complete brake system and the rear axle, which in this case meant rear subframe, diff, arms and so on.

*I got my hands on a Z32 TT manual gearbox, actually the guy who bought my VQ engine and Z33 gearbox had it so it was a done deal.

*Also sourced a complete Z32 TT manual rear subframe in good condition. Im really happy with this since it shares the geometry with the S13/S14/R32/R33Gtst so the aftermarket is strong in this one.

*The last task was to replace the brakes. I found a complete set of 14"/13.8" rotors from a wrecked 370z Nismo. Matched these with a RHD 370z brake master cyl and servo. Calipers were going to be a bit harder, since they are required to NOT fit, meaning i had to use adaptors otherwise it wouldnt qualify as a modification. Found cheap Porsche/Audi/VW Brembo 6/4 piston calipers and made adapters for these.

Mod list:

-VH45DE
    -Z32 TT man gearbox
    -Z32 TT rear end
    -HSD coilovers in front, R33 GTR HKS HiperMax in rear
    -Brembo 6 piston calipers in front, 4 piston calipers in rear, from Porsche/Audi/VW
    -370z Nismo 14"/13.8" (355mm / 350mm) rotors/discs
    -370z Brake master cylinder and servo/booster
    -350z ACT flywheel (with timing gear shaved off) and ACT 6 pad clutch
    -Speedhut tachometer to be fitted
    -Custom prop shaft coming

Thats about what i manage to write for now, my fingers starting to ache :-D

Ill leave this for now until i can post the past progress pics and continue with the info part and present progress :-)

#1 david.fryklind, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

More videos.

3. david.fryklind

fgfshfshdfhfg

I only have one more vid, one of me parking it in the garage for this winters projects, no fun 100% hooning unfortunatly :no:

Apparently my internet supplier is having problems so im only at 2mbit/sec now, takes forever to sort the pics! Will have to come back adding more pics, and rearranging them!

Engine unwrapped in one of my garages, ended up doing all work in another garage, was intresting to move this large package :D
    [​IMG]

The VQ35DE is out of the my 350z
    [​IMG]

The VH testfitted to see how much work needs to be done to make the hood shut.. Managed to lower it enough so that i just needed to gut the inside of the hood, would maybe get away with a VQ35HR hood since it has a bulb but this gives me a chance to be creative and make a scoop!
    [​IMG]

Another test fit. Bought it without actually knowing if it was too wide but theres atlest 7mm on each side :) All that was needed to make it drop in was to remove the PS pump (end result was a bracket bringing the pump up a few mm's), right side ex manifold and cutting out part of the heat shields up top in the engine bay.
    [​IMG]

4. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

This is utterly daft and I love it. Looking forward to whenever you do get some 100% hooning videos up.

5. david.fryklind

Thanks ;) Will have to do a raincheck on the hooning vids for now but atleast theres some progress!
    This weekend i fitted the custom prop shaft, im using both 300zx tt gearbox and rear end so ive used a 2-piece 300zx tt as base and lengthened one of them 235 mm, fits like a glove!
    Also had time to fit the Speedhut RPM gauge in the stock housing, pics to come.
    Emergency brake is now working though its weak, have to tighten it. I ran a custom stainless steel cable to the stock 350z handle.
    Last but not least i had to hook up the electrics again, just to see if it started.. 45 min later 8the time it took to hook it up) it did :D

6. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Good looking 350z + Good sounding VH45 = Winner!

7. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

bump, what's going on with this car?

8. david.fryklind

Ooops.. a bit late on the updates :D

Its done! Has been done a while now, also got it registrered as a Modified vehicle so im all legal farting around in it on the roads in Sweden. Gross weight at 1700kg, something like 1540kg without fuel and driver so its not that bad. Funny thing though, if i had a hook fitted im allowed to pull a trailer weighing 2350kg.

Bonus vid, launching with 1.5kg pressure in the tires (Pirelli PZero Rosso, too much grip..), 5 spd now with longer gears, revs about 1900rpms at 100km/h (60 mph) in fifth gear.

9. grahamc

grahamc Member

looks like a fun project :)