Mustang Drift build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by naryco, Apr 30, 2015.

1. naryco

naryco New Member

so this is the story...i have a 2003 v6 mustang...and everyone asks me why the hell do you have a v6? i have a v6 mustang because it was cheap and clean af! bright red and perfect black leather inside. so runnin around the streets with a anticipated 190hp muscle car theres really no hope for it drag race wise. but as i started to follow the drift scene with 240's and silvias i realize there is hope for my poor v6. i plan on using my mustang as my drift slut... so my focus right now is to get more power, then upgrade the suspension, so i bought a turbonetics hellion 61mm turbo hopping to run around 8-12psi. now im stuck on building this turbo kit and have no idea what brands are good for a wastegate, BOV, and intercooler can someone help? so far ive looked up turbosmart and they seem to have some pretty cool stuff just lookin for some opinions!! thanks!

2. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

You can't go wrong with Tial, Precision, Turbosmart ....

3. auto-mafia

auto-mafia New Member

First the v6 is inhernetly weak in those cars. You are FAR better off getting the V8 and then doing it. not only that but you can probably make the swap over for less than your turbo kit...

I love the idea just trying to be real. Its not like its a 2011+ V6 that has 305 hp

4. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

You should do it other way around. You can learn way more with a well balanced, low HP car. When you can slide around with 190hp, go for engine upgrades :)

Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Justice2.3T

Justice2.3T New Member

Check out Doug Vandenbrink Motorsports. He drifts a 99-04 style SN95 in the Formula D Pro-Am series. He has developed alot of components for our cars to iron out the weak points like poor steering angle, bad akerman angle and bumpsteer issues. Powerwise. You can make some out of the V6 you just have to think outside of the box. The Supercoupe V6 Thunderbirds on the MN12 chassis had Supercharged 3.8L V6's with forged internals. These parts can be found and had for cheap. Alot of V6 guys have done the SC engine swap or just the top end.

6. naryco

naryco New Member

hahah i get that everyday people say v8 swap it, only thing is i lack the time and the money to do such a thing i would love to put a coyote in my mustang but thats not happening anytime soon!

7. auto-mafia

auto-mafia New Member

So what you need to do is this. Get the thing built suspension wise little by little. I would hope it has enough power to at least let you play a little bit. Start adding suspension pieces. Doug Van Der Brink is an awesome guy and even makes parts. But they are $$$$$$$ but great pieces! If you have ANY mustang questions feel free to PM me or message me a auto.mafia.racing@gmail.com as I build these all the time.

8. 51580

51580 New Member

Thinking about getting a v6 mustang from the early 2000's drift parts are expensive as hellll tho, let me know how your experience goes with this build

9. DandyAndy

DandyAndy New Member

I send it in a V6 Mustang too ✌ haven' done much to it yet as I'm working part time but the 190 horse is enough to get right sideways. I'd focus on the suspension as I find it is SUPER bouncy and the whole car feels loose.

10. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

If you lack money and time for a v8 swap, a turbo will ruin your life and you'll get no seat time. Seat time is key.