Another E36 drift build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by DiarmaidE36, May 21, 2015.

1. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Last august I bought my first rwd, a 318i e36 more door. Cut the springs, welded the diff and stripped it out, and then I brought it to a drift day, gave it abuse all day and the old m40 wasn't able for it resulting in a blown head gasket. [​IMG]
    Scrapped that, and on Christmas Eve I just asked a neighbour about the e36 they had in their driveway. It had been parked in the same spot with about five years so I said it's worth trying, to make a long story short I got it for €320. It's an e36 318is full m3 rep with the cream leather vader interior.
    Some pics of when I first got it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First thing I did was strip it out, and stick the interior up for sale. Got €300 for the interior leaving me with a practically free car.
    [​IMG]
    Stuck in my bucket seat, harness and welded diff from the last car. It was sitting a lot higher now after loosing so much weight so I decided to go for more lows and better handling. Ordered some eBay special TaTechnix coilovers for it, which are apparently the best eBay coilover for an e36....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They surprisingly can go really low in the front and made a huge difference to how the car handled, a huge upgrade for not a lot of money which is always good!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bought two pairs of 20mm spacers because my wheels were rubbing off the coils
    [​IMG]
    Then stripped off the hubs and wishbones and got them cut and welded for extra lock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got it back rolling on a Friday night and aligned it, and I was all set for a drift day on Sunday. Went drifting around our yard on the Saturday and did a burnout. Parked the car in the garage and when I went back out later that day I went to take it out of the garage. Put my foot down on the clutch and it went straight to the floor. Jacked it up, replaced the clutch slave cylinder and bled the system. Had good pressure on the pedal so I thought I was sorted, but nope! Clutch lost pressure straight away again after I started the car, turns out I'd burst seals in the gearbox and all the clutch fluid was pissing onto the clutch disk. So that was me out of action for the next day, €135 entry fee down the drain. Got my dad's friend to replace the seals for me after that and the car drove perfect again. She was looking a bit worse for wait after getting it back so a small bit of bodge bodywork was in order. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sprayed them few bits up then with the closest grey I could find in the local hardware shop. It'll do the job for now as I'm sure they'll get hammered in again as I'm still learning to drift.
    [​IMG]

2. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

There wasn't going to be another drift day for a while so I sent the car off to be caged and straight piped. I also got him to stick on my obp hydro handbrake while he was at it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bought a sparco bucket seat off a friend for €50
    [​IMG]
    Painted the cage then and started to tidy the car up a small bit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bought some 18" tsw trophy wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tidied up a few dents and bits [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made a ducktail spoiler out of an old e36 back bumper [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Loaded up for a drift day last Sunday and despite plenty trouble from the Beemer had a good day out. I was out on track at one stage and the nut on my wishbone ball joint sheared off. When the wishbone fell out then it ripped the coilover out through the top mount and the only thing holding my wheel on was the tie rod. We got her in off the track and I thought my day was over but thanks to some friends giving a hand we got a top mount and got the car all bolted back together. [​IMG]
    Got back out on track and gave a few passenger runs before the car just died on track. Pushed her into the pits and couldn't get it to fire, and we thought the fuel pump had given up. Checked the fuses as a last measure. Two had completely melted and we replaced them, turned the key and she fired up straight away. We found two wires behind the dash that were touching off each other causing the fuses to blow, taped them up then and headed out drifting for the rest o the day. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All in all a good day out. That's it for now, next mods will probably be new top mounts and maybe polybushes, we'll see how funds are. I'm 17 so trying to keep this a relatively cheap build, it's currently only standing me about €850 so I'm happy with it for now. Will probably end up swapping out the m42 during the summer for more poke but it'll do for now and get me to push harder. Any feedback or advice appreciated [emoji106]

3. Juniorr

Juniorr New Member

When your changing the engine I would pit in a 4:44 ratio diff out of a 318 auto will help loads

4. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Been trying to find one with 6 months now they're pretty hard to come by

5. Juniorr

Juniorr New Member

Yeah there pretty hard to come by unless its out of egland and its the full car where abouts are you ad do you no of a drift series called Ni Drift Series

6. fr33

fr33 New Member

Cool car for 320 euros )) Keep it going !

7. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

By the looks of things the car could be 2.8 after a while do I might just go with a medium case diff then. I'm from Co.Clare, Ireland

8. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Thanks, looks a whole lot better now though, really need to update this

9. 325i_Hoonigan

325i_Hoonigan Member

Awesome car, I am also building an e36 collecting parts at the moment

Awaiting updates...

10. Seank791

Seank791 New Member

Looks like you've really made some good progress so far, I've recently just bought 2x 325tds e36's so I'm currently trying to make one awesome daily skider from them, keep up the work man it's all worth it afterwords! Subscribed!

11. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Great little cars if you fix their few little faults, just did my first proper drift day with this last weekend and I've fallen so in love with it, best of luck with them!

12. Seank791

Seank791 New Member

Yeah you said it! Very good and cost effective base product! Where abouts did you do the drift day? I'm in Northern Ireland and it's not the best place for drift days from what I've learned so far, I noticed the Irish plate lol

13. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

So I guess this is well due an update [emoji23] a lot has changed over the last while and it's safe to say my driving has improved a lot, but you just can not kill these little 1.9 engines [emoji1] anyway here goes
    The poor 36 was looking a lot worse for wear at the start of the summer so I decided it was time to tidy it up a bit, bough new panels, sanded her down and gave her a lick of paint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Picked out my colour and started into spraying
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Didn't come out too bad for a €30 job [emoji23]
    Replaced the extended lca's with e46 wishbones because I didn't trust the welds. Tynagh was up next on the 2nd of August. Prep began and we only finished the car at 5:00 am the morning of the drift day. But my god was it worth it! For a 318 it sure can slide, had so much fun getting up close with 2.8 e36's and the odd lad in an schassis who didn't know how to drive [emoji12] at the end of the day I had to finish up because I had run out of tyres. I couldn't have been happier with how the car performed, it didn't give me a moments trouble. The e39 520i rad kept her cool all day, not bad for a free mod. Also couldn't get over how much the extra lock helped, I was able to throw the car sideways upon entry at 70mph with no worries [emoji1] even though she performed so well I decided to go for a 6 pot power plant so she's currently sitting engineless in the garage. Anyway, I'll let the pictures finish off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Few more photos from August 2nd, such a fun little car. And yes I know my exhaust is stupid [emoji23]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Aidan_G

Aidan_G Member

Shouldve done a trackday with my 4pot before i got the 6pot looks like its well able :/ doubt youd sell the 15" 5 spokes by any chance lad? ;) looks well in fairness to you though. Is the e39 520i rad straight fit? Seen one for sale near me and was contemplating getting it

#15 Aidan_G, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  16. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

Yeah theyre well able for abuse :cool: Theyre 16" Racing dynamics RGR's, i just ratlle canned them white and 2 of them have brand new 195/45/16's but make an offer if youre interested. Had to cut out a little square on the chassis legs and reweld in a piece of metal for the rad to sit low enough for the bonnet to close. Well worth it though the heat doesnt climb one bit :thumbs:

17. Aidan_G

Aidan_G Member

Did you cut much out of the chassis legs? I need a bigger rad than my 318ti one as i dont think it will keep a 6pot cool when its going to be abused on track and ive seena 320i rad for only €45 probably get it for €30 :p

18. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

320 rad should go straight in, the 520 is wider so I had to cut in about an inch on each side and I welded them up again

19. bcartmilldrift

There are plent of drift days in northern ireland there drifting on once every mouth look up m4d on fb and you could enter a seires like the ama one are the ni

20. DiarmaidE36

DiarmaidE36 Member

So this is provisionally sold to fund a road car as insurance is going to be crazy being 18 [emoji53] but if I still can't afford insurance I'll probably build an altezza track car [emoji16] we'll see how it goes [emoji106]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]