Aussie 180sx build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Strayamate, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Strayamate

Strayamate New Member

Whats up Driftworks! Big fan of you guys love every build you've done.
    1st time on the forum today, just came on here to share my build progress and learn a thing a two!

I'm 19 from Australia and I've been into Drift cars since I was 16, hooked ever since haha
    I bought my first s13 when I was just 16, got my first taste of boost. Sold that, had an r32 for a few months never did anything with it really. Then I bought my 180sx..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mate hitting a round about haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First night we picked it up, thats the shed with nothing it it as well you will see that change! same day we moved into the place haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some wheels on asap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came with no front bar and no windscreen

[​IMG]

Got it for $1300 and wasn't worth one dollar of it . looked trashed when we picked it up but the paint and widebody was good. So I lowballed him and took it

It had a clapped out sr20det in it but I had plans to run a motor I had from an s14,
    The sr20det vct with 5 speed box
    Plans changed now I'm stuck!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the sr20 setup isn't happening anymore I could help but start to fab shit!!
    I'm an apprentice boilermaker so I can tig weld and fab etc. Better welder than a fabricator but I get it done ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now your up to date! Help me decide what motor to go!

My choices are:

Buy another sr20 to get drifting quicker as its cheaper and I already have sr gear on the car.

Rb25- which requires r32 cross member and heaps of other gear. Rb25's are pretty dear where I am and they are a very common drifter choice.. I'm not common haha

1j - I can keep my standard cross member, a mate ready has engine mounts I can buy, I will save a heap of money by doing all the fab work myself . the dump needs to clear the steering column but that will be right,

Or my personal choice, but it will take forever and ever to do . (I've never ever seen it completed in the world)
    Ford Xr6 turbo motor in a 180sx
    They are 4litre turbo motor they are aboslutley ridiculous! If you are reading this and wondering wtf is this dumb 19 year old Aussie Muppet talking about...
    Look them up on YouTube . they are in ford falcons only sold in Australia

So there it is what do you guys reckon??

2. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Sweet build mate, looks like you got some skills for your age :)

Looks like your mind is already made up, its all about standing out from the crowd, go for the XR6 motor, be different maybe you could start a trend!

I'll keep an eye on this

3. Strayamate

Strayamate New Member

Thanks mate!

I do want to do the xr6 but the cost is double if not triple that of a sr20 build :(

4. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

I unintentionally gave up on my 2JZ S13 build and finished my SR22 s14 build instead, SR is an awesome motor when built properly

But the sound of the bigger engines are awesome although I love the screamer on my SR, transformed it :p

5. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Do the xr6 motor. I was gonna go the easy way with my r32 initially, but thought fuck it and bought a lexus v8 and a massive holset turbo ;-D

6. Binnerz

Binnerz Member

Xr6 engine. Seen plenty of them whilst I was over in aus and sounded rude.

- - - Updated - - -

Xr6 engine. Seen plenty of them whilst I was over in aus and sounded rude.

7. Martt

Martt Member

A dude in NZ is running a twin turbo N/A Barra engine in his s14, think he kinda does D1NZ.

Car made 540hp on 13psi but the N/A motor didn't cope, turbo motor would be better.
    Lasted a whole season on 10psi after rebuild though.

There's also a guy in QLD doing the same in his 180, he's almost done.

The only dramas are the gearboxes being weak (I don't have any input or recommendation on this, I don't know about Fords and Holdens and shit) and the motor is a little tall.

There's a cheap turbo motor on eBay for $1,100, seems like you could probably do it for less than the cost of JZ shit.

8. Strayamate

Strayamate New Member

Yeah I've seen quite a few projects with the xr6 motor but have never seen it completed,
    That's loose as !! I'll try search it up

My only hesitation to do the build is if I do it I'd want to do it properly and recess the motor through the firewall and I can picture it taking ages as I'm very picky haha.

9. Strayamate

Strayamate New Member

10. Strayamate

Strayamate New Member

Had a bit of time off from the car as I've just moved back into my mums house which will help me save more cash for the build, but have been a bit busy the last few weeks with parts and other stuff. Just a quick check in for now.

11. Strayamate

Strayamate New Member

[​IMG]

Back to a small shed without a hoist :(

12. Strayamate

Strayamate New Member

[​IMG]

Mounted my bride and the rail I got for it I am in love with I sold it to a buddy cos I wanted to get some cash back and I'd just make one, but I had to have to back! The position and angle suited my style to a tee

13. Strayamate

Strayamate New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up some rotas for cheap in a decent size, I like 17's some don't approve but I'm a fan
    17x9 & 9.5 +12
    Got some tyres fitted from a mates workshop and boom instant motivation to make this bitch run!!