Aus R31 Skyline - Everyone loves a screamer

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Muff31, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Muff31

Muff31 Member

R31 Skyline drift build - Everyone loves a screamer

Hey guys!

New to the Driftworks forum, so i thought I'd share my current build.

Currently on my third R31, so these cars certainly aren't new to me!

I decided rather than throwing a a solid 7 months of a build thread at your guys at once I'd do it over the next couple of days to see if i can spark any interest with anyone :)

Anyways, be prepared for lots of photos and a bit of reading!

So here's one of my previous 31s, just before i got rid of her, she was far from nice, really, she was close to dead so she became victim to the dreaded part out.

[​IMG]

Was well and truely sad to see her go, was easily my favorite car up until my new car.
    I had an inbetween car but the 31 bug has bitten me bad, so I bought another one.

Lets be honest here, it doesn't look like much, nor does it look even remotely pretty, but for the price I couldn't refuse!

quick rundown on the specs when I picked her up:

S1 1987 Nissan R31 skyline
    rb30e
    5 speed manual
    brand new excedy heavy duty clutch
    Afrermarket extractors
    2.5" exhaust
    S13 front end conversion retaining R31 lcas
    near new Tein coilovers
    Gktech slip on lock spacers
    mini-spooled 3:89 ratio diff
    cobra fixed back bucket seats
    gktech deep dish steering wheel
    sparco quick release
    whiteline adjustable panhard rod Brand new

[​IMG]

picked it up at a stupid hour of the evening so by the time i got home it was dark.

I needed to swap out the leaking injectors for the car to run properly, so I did that first thing in the morning then got onto swapping to s3 front end!

[​IMG]
    I quite enjoy it with the grey bonnet but I will get it colour matched once it's on the road. Next up was cleaning up the interior and putting in some rear seats! Luckily I had the spare seats out of my old car and boot carpet too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Looks a hell of a lot cleaner than it did! Tomorrow I'll clean up the bay because obviously it's had a battery explosion at some stage, so gotta clean it plus it's a good reason to give the engine bay an overhaul. Also gave it a wash and holy moly the difference was crazy, looks heaps good now IMO.

[​IMG]

So Yet another update!

Decided id put the whiteline panhard rod in that came with the car. Things are so simple the second time round!

[​IMG]

Had a good look around under the rear end and noticed the trailing arm bushes have fresh looking nolathane items, score! On a sad note I also noticed the handbrake mech on the passenger rear caliper is rooted, so I will need to acquire a new caliper or fix the existing one. Also will need to replace the fuel lines from the hardlines to the pump, looking really worse for wear.

Got heaps of stuff in the works but for now here's what's happened.

Finally got around to fixing the rooted drivers side window switches.

[​IMG]

Finally ditched the s1 garnish in favor of an s3.

[​IMG]

Picked up everything for a e+T conversion minus the manifold. I won't be using the dump or front pipe, will get a brand new 3' turbo back exhaust made.

[​IMG]

Also picked up some nice wheels for the rig. Nice set of SSR reverse mesh in 15x7.5 +5 and 15x7.5 +10. I'm a little skeptical on the sizes but. They came with 80% federal RSRs.

[​IMG]

Here's them fitted up too.

[​IMG]

Slowly leading towards rego which will be soon hopefully!

A lot more has happened in the last few days.
    I finally got a round to getting rid of the stupid blue windscreen wipers.

[​IMG]

Saw a complete s3 ti front end pop up on facebook and copied the resist it. Wacked it all together the same night I bought it.

[​IMG]

Next to go in was the s13 LCAs and the kit I had sitting around waiting to go on. Wheels sit perfectly with the s13 LCAs like I though they would.

[​IMG]

When I was moving my car to put it in the garage to put my newest edition parts in, the fuel pump decided it had had enough and karked it at the bottom of my driveway, quick trip to repco and she runs like new again.

[​IMG]

Went and pick up my new seats on Friday. Worst decision ever. For all your people down south Brisbane got hammered on Thursday evening with rain, hail and crazy winds. Friday wasn't any better rain wise. Luckily they were still in there rapping and I had a trap over the tray of the ute to keep them safe. Yesterday with clear sky's we put the seats in, super stoked on them. They also have an 'ADR approved' sticker so modplating will be easy.

[​IMG]

This week will see a massive overhaul of the ignition system and RWC and rego!

Alright so a fair bit has happened!
    Finally got around to changing the typical Odo gears, the larger rear sun gear literally disintegrated when I pulled the motor out.

[​IMG]

New gears in! Was really simple thanks to the wiki!

Also changed the spark plugs to try and solve a miss I had on idle.

New vs old
    [​IMG]

Then the day came! Roady and modplate for the seat then rego!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

]Unfortunately te happiness of this was short lived. About 2 minutes from my house I lost all fuel pressure thanks to the fuel pump dying. Wacked in a known working pump and nothing which had me stumped. Tried a brand new pump with still no success. Tried the fuse, checked the wiring and nothing. I decided to throw the whole cradle and pump out of the old Redcar in and boom! All was well again. Took it for a drive to give her a nice clean.

[​IMG]

]I also changed the coil pack, and have a new dizzy cap rotor button and a few other little things to replace. Also need a wheel alignment and the wheels balanced. Need to wack some preload into the coilovers too. Will have new updates soon!

90% of this is a direct extract out of my 31club build page, so it may not all make sense and I apologise if it doesn't!

Feel free to hate, love whatever really.

#1 Muff31, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Bubbleraider

Bubbleraider Member

Looks sick man :) don't see many threads of these on here :)

3. Muff31

Muff31 Member

So an amazing setup popped up for sale at a stupidly cheap price, with most parts being brand new.
    Complete adjustable s13 front setup which consists of:
    Rose jointed and adjustable LCAs
    Modified castor rod brackets that is also braced
    Adjustable castor rods
    Modified s13 knuckles
    Rose jointed tie rods and rack ends to suit the adjustable LCAs
    Gonna be interesting putting this in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will do a big update with plenty of photos when I swith the front ends over plus I'm sure the car will cop a few more lows aswell.

So much has happened,
    So from the top, with minimal photos.

The front end didnt go how I planned, but I decided to throw the adjustable castor rods in and the hard race tie Rods on.
    Had a wheel alignment, 7.5degree of camer, 6.5degree of castor and -1.2mm toe all up. Handles really well.

Swapped the Teins for brand new bc BR coilovers, was totally worth it. Gave her some more lows too. Also wacked on my old hako wing because I love the look!
    Then I decided I'd put some old friends on the new car while I save some money to get the SSRs widened!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyways, I started to do my turbo conversion aswell!!
    Got myself some braided lines for the oil feed and return.
    Got the hot side on just need to plumb the oil and water returns and put the intake on.
    also got the injectors in!

[​IMG]

Just need to put the ecu in and waiting on my relay kit and I'll be ready to go!
    So many keens.

Been a while again, thought I'd put some new photos up.
    Turbo setup is done, a lot of teething issues, mostly sorted out now.
    So got the turbo setup done, added a front mount to help out.
    [​IMG]

My turbo setup includes
    VLT manifold
    VLT injectors
    Chipped 31 ecu
    3' exhaust
    Kkr430 turbo
    Braided oil feed and drain

The turbo has decided it hates life and needs to be replaced, so I purchased a t04e internally gated turbo to keep me going until I decide what path I wanna take.

[​IMG]

Will be putting te turbo on in the next couple of days.

I had a few issues to begin with, mainly the car deciding it wanted to run really lean. So I bought a surge setup with speed flow fittings and added my brand new Aeroflow pump to keep up with the needed fuel flow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up some JJP swaybars for ridiculously cheap, car handles amazing, sticks to the road so well.
    Unfortunately I have zero photos of most of this stuff which sucks but with the last couple of issues sorted I hope to finally get some track time!

So through out this build I've been talking about hitting the track... Well I'm finally doing it! Two weeks from now I'll be going to a QR Friday night drift pratice.. Should be fun!
    So I'm now in the process of preparing the car!

So far I've wacked in my old school Apexi super avcr and set it at 0.55kgcm2 or roughly 9 psi. Put in my tomei adjustable FPR and set it at 45psi and now it's just the big things left.

Water pump
    Timing belt
    Tensioner
    Thermostat
    Oil changer
    Raise the exhaust
    And get a few more tyres put on rims!
    [​IMG]

I finally hit the track! All went well, drove the hour and a bit drive to QR drifted all night and drove the prick home no problem!

But to the updates:

Finally got a steering wheel that doesn't feel like crap! Genuine 360mm nardi ND Classic. Was definitely worth buying

[​IMG]

Also scored some passage gaurds and wacked them on to replace my rooted standard s1 guards

[​IMG]

I finally upgraded from my NA s13 brakes that came with the car to SR turbo brakes, stops so much better!

From these,
    [​IMG]

To these!
    [​IMG]

And the last but probably the coolest update are the new wheels, yes they have been relipped and yes they have been rewelded back together, not sure why they were double bolted though

Sizes are 15x8.5 -20 all round running 195/50s all round

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only have two photos currently from the track but they will do.
    It all went without a hitch, I underestimated the car terribly and was incredibly surprised by how well it went!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time out I definitely will be using a smaller tyre/wall size, 205/65 had a bit too much sidewall flex compared to what I was use to NA. Only a couple of little things need to be sorted before I go out again. Definitely need to find a way to keep it cooler, thinking gktech fan and new hub may even fix the problem. Also definitely need a power steering cooler and oil cooler, and a handbrake would be handy but other than that it's good to go!

4. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Got to be one of the coolest cars posted recently.
    Good to see it being skidded too.

5. Muff31

Muff31 Member

Thanks!
    The intention was always to skid this car!
    wait until I bring the rest of the car up to date, it becomes far more enjoyable IMO.

6. Muff31

Muff31 Member

Soo I found a stupid cheap s2 RB25det conversion for a 31 for sale, so I snapped it up and put it in asap.

[​IMG]

Now consists of standard rb25det running 10psi
    Pwr return flow inter cooler
    3' dump back exhaust

Inter cooler sits a little low, but that's also because the car is had a flat tyre and the angle of the photo, still sits above the bottom of the bumper

Sorry for the potato photo.

Oh also these lights happened, just need to get an s1 garnish and trim and close the boot as well haha. For those of you that are unaware, these lights were never released in Aus and are rare in japan even. The come from diesel 31s.

[​IMG]
    interior is coming along well! Just need get another zeta II and I'll be happy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Complementary 25 photo

[​IMG]

Also I wound the boost up to 10psi, didn't make much of a difference compared to stock, but the car sure is fun!

So I did a thing.

[​IMG]
    Nothing much has happened, blew a powersteering line on the way to all jap day, rocked up smoking like a boss, hard parked and got some photos, fixed the line and then proceed to blow off my boost tee line. Cars still running like a champ just need to fix the line and it's good to go again!

Here's a photo of it low down in the grass at AJD!

[​IMG]

So I did a couple of things recently, nothing massive but enough to have fun!

This happened

[​IMG]

Trying to use the better products!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fits in there well. Dw about the boost tee position etc that's been changed already haha.

I went and rewired my original engine wiring to make sure the car doesn't do any funny business. Also added my mines ecu that I had lurking in the garage from ages ago, the setup isn't ideal but after the two Friday night drifts sessions I've been two over the last two weeks God it has worked well!

As above, been getting as much seat time as possible, car feels amazing! First session I trailered it out to check reliability then for the recent event I Drove it to the track skidded all night and drove it home, no issues.

Car does need a wheel alignment, a working handbrake would be nice and the odd thing here and there but genuinely happy with where it's at at the moment! Planning on trying to make the next drift session on the 17th of this month.

Will also upload a video when I get a chance of the back section of QR.

and that brings you all up to date with how the car currently sits!

Not a heap planned currently, just have to replace my stock lift pump to a walbro 255 intake to keep up with the aeroflow fuel pump from my surge and a few other odds and ends!

7. Woocash

Woocash Member

That looks MEGA Dude, well cool.
    Keep up the good work

8. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

so bloody cool! loving the retro livery and of course nice to see it driven properly haha

9. Muff31

Muff31 Member

Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words :)

10. Muff31

Muff31 Member

So a small update!

Dropped my 12/10kg spring setup in finally!
    Also put in brand new OEM s13 Lcas in too. For those not familiar with Australian 31s the Lcas are 25mm smaller the s13.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 7mood

7mood New Member

Good luck bro.
    Looks great already .

12. Muff31

Muff31 Member

Thanks man!

I've become addicted to YHJ lately, a won an auction for a different set of wheels through Jesse streeter and have another pair pending auction results.
    The sizes are far different to my current setup but Should work nice with a spacer if need be!

13. jeepy

jeepy Member

sick build ! wish we had those car here

14. Muff31

Muff31 Member

Is there no form of 31 over your ways?

15. Muff31

Muff31 Member

Updatesssss!
    Finally, my package has arrived from Japan courtesy of streeter!

[​IMG]

Definitely stoked with them, but I'm thinking of getting the centres painted gold.

[​IMG]

Polished up Ready well considering it was a super quick effort

[​IMG]

Got the tyres fitted off the longchamps and wacked them straight on!
    Definitely need to adjust the hieght.
    Also put some more new guards on the replace my fucked guards.

[​IMG]

Sizes are,
    F:15x7.5 -6
    R:15x8 -0
    Fronts have an 8mm slip on to clear brakes like the longchamps
    Rears have a 5mm slip on to give it that little bit more size

Super stoked at the moment with them, just need another wheel alignment and it'll be ready to go again!

16. bRACKET

bRACKET New Member

Hey dude, love the 31, especially those longchamps! Trying to post up my own 31 build thread at the moment actually, but for some reason it's not being approved...

Keep up the good stuff!

17. Muff31

Muff31 Member

bRACKET, you don't happen to have the same user name on the 31forum? If so been following your build thread on there since day one, so mint!

Also thanks!

18. bRACKET

bRACKET New Member

I do man! Trying to post up my build here to get a bit of international experience/advice, but just can't get it to show up here :(

What's next for her bro?

19. Muff31

Muff31 Member

Thought so!
    That's weird, mine popped up straight away.

Paint the centres of the MKIIIs gold, rail it, get a wheel alignment, then hit the track again ASAP!

20. bRACKET

bRACKET New Member

That's odd, maybe I'll try again with a more simple post, my intro was huge haha.

Good to hear, best mod is seat time!