Family Drifter Nissan Stagea 1UZ 6 Speed !

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by PikeyMike, Nov 21, 2015.

1. PikeyMike

PikeyMike Member

I've got a spare 1/2 hour so i thought id document my build on the Stagea.

The story goes.

I had a certain S13 that pissed off the internet, the shell was fucking hanging, so i did a deal with Jim on the Stagea.

Drove my ass from Manchester to the South Coast, and the stagea had a weird problem where it wouldnt rev over 2.5k, immediately diagnosed as a MAF issue, i decided id take a gamble, so we chucked it on the recovery truck, and i brought it all the way back up north, in a fucked transit recovery truck that over heated if we went over 50.
    finallly got home about 3am, dumped the truck and went to bed.

this was the sight out of my bedroom window the day after

[​IMG]

After some poking, turned out to be a broken ecu to maf signal wire, after a quick solder she was golden. or so we thought.

turns out she only had 20psi on cylinder 2.
    fucking chuffed.

weighed up my options, rebuild, forged rebuild, decided i couldnt justify wanking £5000 forging an RB25 cus i dont know anyone who has had much fun with them

So what were the other options?

[​IMG]

1jz? too expensive for a peasant like me, i wanted to get out and do some skids
    sr20? i debated this for a long time, and looking back, i wish this was the option id chosen!
    V8? cant afford an LS motor, id rather have cramp than a BMW motor, the fate was sealed.
    [​IMG]

found an early model LS400 on ebay, 10 miles away, 130,000 miles, £300 !
    i practically ripped the guys arm off, when we got there it hadnt ran in 5 years as the bloke had been working away in India designing a new Boeing plane?!

Jump leads and she fired straight up, no knocks leaks or bangs so i paid the man and drove it back!
    130mph on a private motorway, i mean road, she was brilliant, all while playing radio 2 and having a relaxed conversation!

The 1UZ is an underestimated motor, was originally built for GT500 in Japan but it never went into production for the race series, so toyota choked it to death with restrictive manifolds and cams, but the Oversquare configuration and 6 bolts mains remained!
    People have ran stock internals at 800hp and stock cranks to over 1000hp, serious motor!

Anyhow, the next weekend i pulled the motor out, all pretty straight forward.

then i offered it up into the stagea engine bay...

[​IMG]

seemed very good, nice and low, pretty far back !

So we made up some mounts for her;
    [​IMG]

and then she sat like this;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deleted EGR and got rid of the shitty viscous.

Now, dont get me wrong, it could have gone about 3 to 4 inches further back, but it's a good compromise of accessibility and performance, shes never gonna be very competitive anway haha

oil filter housing wouldnt fit due to the chassis legs being in the way, so bought a relocation kit and did this
    [​IMG]

The gearbox is from a IS200 6 speed Aisin AZ6, this is mounted using an MR2 Flywheel with the pcd redrilled and an MR2 clutch, the adpater plate came from MCL motorsport over in Ireland.

Here the engine bay is as of the first drift day
    [​IMG]

I hate how scruffy the intake pipe and manifold are, but ive sorted a solution for that already!

[​IMG]

not fitted them yet, so cant comment.

anyway, heres some pics of her skidding at her debut 3 Sisters Drift Day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Pics from Ali @ EJ9 Blog here;
    BangBus: 1UZ C34 Laurel | STREET!TRACK!LIFE!

The car was faultless alll day apart from oddly enough blowing a fuel pump fuse?!

My plans over the winter include, hard wiring the fuel pump to the ignition instead of having it ECU controlled.
    Tidy up the bodywork and repaint her
    maybe get the bodies fitted, all cash dependant.

Lastly, has anyone build a drift car from a Stagea or Skyline GTR?
    wanting to know about lock mods.

my other option is cutting the chassis legs off a S14 and changing the front end entirely to macpherson setup, but who knows.

Cheers everyone !

2. RB25dan

RB25dan New Member

Looks sweet, what ITB's are they?

3. PikeyMike

PikeyMike Member

OBX Mate, an American Company

4. Van_Denton

Van_Denton Member

This is cool, how does the gearbox hold up? It handles all that torque?

5. PikeyMike

PikeyMike Member

So far so good man, aparantly they're good to 450ish hp ?

6. davey

davey Active Member

Humm this might be a cheap option for what im looking at, i dont think the box will handle the bigger power figures later on bit it might just do in na form for now.

Was the kit you bought a straight bolt up to the mr2 clutch and flywheel? Also whats up with the starting motor? Mr2, is200?

7. jimmy crowley

jimmy crowley Rouge Dori s15

This is cool as. Needs more pics and vids

8. PikeyMike

PikeyMike Member

It's the stock 1uz starter with the teeth on the ring gear chamfered on the other side to suit the v8 starter.
    The kit is the adapter plate and the bellhousing modified, I had to source the mr2 clutch and fly seperatly.

Don't have any more pics, only got one video on faceache but don't know how to get it on here

9. Dam Spec2

Dam Spec2 Member

Was never a fan of stagea's untill I seen this man! Cool as fuck lad! Get some vids up!!

10. antonow3n

antonow3n New Member

That is stupidly cool. Drifting family wagon, best of both worlds ha

11. PikeyMike

PikeyMike Member

Debating using stock Stagea Dayz bumpers due to lack of bodykits... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is the Dayz bumpers
    [​IMG]

12. PikeyMike

PikeyMike Member

Got my Dayz bumpers painted up today ready for the drift demo day at Three Sisters in Wigan, it's only 6 miles from my house so any chance I get to do some slips there I'm on it !

As much as I love have full interior and creature comforts. I think it's getting to the stage where I want to strip the car out and build a roll cage !

Debating maybe rear mounting the rad or maybe a rear mount turbo. If only they were a more common thing over here !

13. costeloch

costeloch New Member

where did this car end up? any videos of it drifting?

Can I ask a few questions, I presume custom prop was made? How is it wired in just full engine loom and ecu from the 1uz put in? Are the clocks working? Im really considering this in my stagea so just looking for some advice. Cheers