My E36 328 saloon thread.

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Aiden, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Aiden

Aiden Member

I've had the car for eight months now, so I thought I'd do a write up with my progress so far.

For the grand sum of £1400 I bought a 328i drift prepped four door.

[​IMG]

The engine is a 2.8 with M50 manifold, remapped with raised 7200rpm limit, pink injectors, mushroom filter, backbox removed with a shotgun pipe.

Handling included a polybushed front ARB, TA Technix coilies, welded diff and a 0.7 hydo.

The car is tatty, the black wing was sprayed that colour by the previous owner, the black door was as a result of him spinning it and hitting a lamppost that same night.

Still, I could see the potential and snapped it up. First jobs were to tidy things up, make it more my own and pick up some drift wheels.

The pas wasn't working, so fitted a second hand pump, the front pads needed to be changed too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had some trouble with the disc retaining screws so I drilled them out.

[​IMG]

So, went to Driftland for the first time as a driver. Enjoyed it even though I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing.

[​IMG]

Went back for another practice day, however this time when rejoining the track I snagged the PAS line, which dumped the fluid and wrote the pump off. So, brand new pump fitted with new belt and I was back out again a few weeks later.

[​IMG]

Painted the calipers pink too.

Over time I've made the car much more my own. I've replaced the rad with a big one, fitted a temperature sensor and gauge, new tow straps, fully stripped the interior, fitted a new knob, used up my first set of tyres too.

[​IMG]

Here she is now.

[​IMG]

Next Sunday I'm picking up some replacement panels, a wing, door, sideskirt and nosecone, in the correct colour of Samoablau.

Future plans involve a trailer to tow it with my daily driver (Merc E320), a bucket seat and sidemount and I'll be ready to get back out on the track.

Thanks for looking, I'll keep it updated.

2. Leno

Leno Member

These things seem bulletproof! Well played on sorting the right coloured panels out, be nice to tidy it up!

3. antonow3n

antonow3n New Member

what are these like for someone new to drifting?
    I may buy one instead of looking at the more expensive S bodys and dont fancy and mx5

4. Aiden

Aiden Member

Thanks for that, I'm really looking forward to getting the new parts fitted.

It drifts beautifully, I had considered some jap cars, but the combination of reliability, ease of getting cheap parts, proven drift performance and physically big enough for me sealed the deal.

5. antonow3n

antonow3n New Member

convincing me there, and the parts do appear cheaper from what ive seen on the sale pages for the bimmas

6. Aiden

Aiden Member

There's just such a wealth of spares available, I know that if I have an off at the track I can fix it relatively cheaply.

7. Aiden

Aiden Member

New panels![​IMG]

I can't believe how much it's transformed the look of the car.

8. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Indeed, much better

9. Aiden

Aiden Member

Managed to pick up a Cobra Monaco bucket seat, with mounts for £40! It's needed a bit of tweaking to get it central to the wheel, but very happy with it.

[​IMG]

Now just need a trailer and I'm sorted.

10. Aiden

Aiden Member

A few months since my last update, a few changes made.

The car is now based over in Chizfab's yard since the MOT ran out, which saves me from having to keep it somewhere locally, having to buy a trailer and having to keep it road legal.

[​IMG]

I went over to the yard a few weeks later and finally got round to sorting the front end, fitted a replacement nosecone, tided everything else up and it looks loads better. The car had developed a leaky radiator so I replaced that too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Got my first drift practice day of the year tomorrow at Driftland, hopefully having the bucket seat will help me out.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

11. Aiden

Aiden Member

Last Sunday went really well, the bucket seat helps so much.

The kidney grilles didn't want to stay in and the splitter went missing but they're minor points.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to the next one [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk