S14a drift build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Kingk, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Kingk

Kingk Member

So brought my s14a in March 2015. Only just got around to stating my build thread though.

Firstly I have no previous mechanically knowledge or drift experience, this is all learn on the job! So if you notice anything that's wrong or got any advise to offer feel free.

When I brought it it was set up as a grip car with suspension and arms etc already fitted. It was also stage 1 and had a body kit etc fitted. Nothing too major.

208c7f06428a328e0626e3c199b03eb7.
    526ef63c98a017d4ebc8331f111612b0.
    b7f391df13e81cebb36f41d6aab6d826.

How she sat when I found her.

So first things first I sourced a skyline welded diff and shafts, z32 rear brakes and got to work fitting them, removing abs and de spoilering it and flushing the boot.

b914e79956132e17a8fb14a8f2278cda.
    5e7529cd74383fa67f85f9b3075461e0.
    ebeb06a63a7419efb3087695ea445ebb.
    c013356cb179df7bc3fbc7537df1f8c6.

I just fibre glasses below and filled and painted quickly as long term going to be fitting fibre glass boot.

Then not a lot happened due to work etc.

Only new things that got fitted were stickers to try and cover the paint work (the roof was the worst)

1c7d5bfec50a4879fb9ea58f3cacacf1.
    3ffb4728d87315ffe4968087c4caeef2.
    ae23cd5655c064f441a47942bd5e0a43.
    d3246317112cefae7e800407543cb394. 9d4b8a02a436a97ceb27aadbce0b30a5.
    115ed192049efb44dd4d253e602dc82a.

Not to everybody's taste, but it'll do for now until I can get around to respraying it.

Then I managed to source some smoked lights and got them fitted.

c8b7d61e674baa89beef959fd47f76fb.
    996a177cedb746f1ebff453bf857ac7b.

I think they look so much better than standard.

Then I decided I was going to strip her bare and fit a half cage

3dfd9c7a21c48ff22fdabb45bcb5d7cf.
    7d4de5c493e5c66fea1d40f8235d352c.
    6d4064322deb2f641f8bbf5cf3668da3.
    54559e3036bbeb7a450d865165ec2e22.
    e3fff39e8ba5b9e547ca16a2a35c464b.
    9ff2831e6071a83ad65091ae278a17a4.

Then once again life got in the way so all I could do was collect parts, no time to fit them.

#1 Kingk, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. Kingk

Kingk Member

Then my mates dad decided to "improve" my car...... Good job I'm fitting wider wings

[​IMG]

Then time came to get a lock up....
    So managed to find a nice local space at a good price

[​IMG]

So car had to wait again now whilst we sorted the floor (far too rough to be crawling on) so then this happened.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We managed to get a bargain on the shelves, so couldn't say no!

Finally with a bit of time off over Xmas managed to get all the parts I've accumulated moved it to the lock up and now can focus on the car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I might've got carried away with buying parts!

Then again my friend this time decided to "improve" my car for me....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after all that finally got my car in and now I can start the build!
    Next up is fit all the parts I've been accumulating, lock mods, change the kit, new wheels etc etc.

So got in there today and thought I'd make a start (finally got to test fit my wheels though!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 Kingk, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Kingk

Kingk Member

Cheers mate. Just took off skirts though and found sills are rotten

[​IMG]

And test fitted the worst fitting front wings in the world! Think I might just bin them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

Good on you getting stuck in straight away! Only way to learn.

#4 -Tommy., Jan 2, 2016
  5. Kingk

Kingk Member

Cheers mate, trying my best! Lol

Managed to get it all stripped down today. Not as much rust as I was expecting. Luckily! Sourced a new sill section ready to replace the rust I found, now I just need to learn to weld haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And test fitted my new rear bumper too

[​IMG]

#5 Kingk, Jan 2, 2016
  6. Future Drifter

Future Drifter New Member

maybe you should get a proper drift kit on it?
    e.g rocket bunny ect

- - - Updated - - -

nice build tho! xD

7. Kingk

Kingk Member

I know! Who needs enemies when you've got friends like mine! Haha

Cheers, I think them wings will be going in the bin! They've been sold on and sold on so I think I'll save anybody else wasting money on them and ditch them? I only brought them as I planned on chopping them about a lot, but it would be easier to make my own moulds and make some fresh ones after seeing exactly how bad they are! So old ones might go on for now as I wanted to try get it to pod at the end of the month

8. Kingk

Kingk Member

So managed to get a few hours in at the lock up today. Finally got around to fitting my turbo timer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thought it was working properly, then realised the count down time starts counting down when I start the car?! And keeps the starter motor engaged? Then when I turn ignition off engine goes straight off? It's a hks type 1 with hks ignition harness if anybody has any experience or ideas why? After that I got the hump and went home haha

9. Kingk

Kingk Member

Managed to squeeze a few more hours in today, managed to strip all the suspension off ready to fit hsd monopros that I ordered on Friday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For anybody interested the tein super street coilovers will be up for sale soon.

Then I thought I'd strip out the rear ready to drop the subframe so I can fit some solid mounts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whilst I was at it I thought I'd crack the diff open to double check it was welded as it says lsd on the casing (it was welded, and very well too) and thought I'd change the oil too

[​IMG]

By this point I'd had enough so thought I'd soak the subframe bolts in wd40 ready to drop the subframe when I next get 5 minutes

10. Kingk

Kingk Member

So popped in to the workshop again tonight to see if the wd40 had done its job, it had and the subframe came out relatively easily to my surprise!

[​IMG]

Not sure if you can tell by the pics but the bushes are well and truly shagged!!! (And no locking collars like I was told there was by the guy I brought the car off)

[​IMG]

So I've loaded it in the the van ready to set fire to them at work tomorrow and just ordered up some por15 ready to give it a little spruce up before it goes back on.

11. HOODS

HOODS Member

Looking good man, mind if your fitting pollys to the subframe you'll need to cut the metal collars out

12. Kingk

Kingk Member

Cheers bud.

I'm going solid bud, but I still have to cut the metal collars out for them too don't I?

13. Kingk

Kingk Member

-----update-----

Only a quick one, haven't had much time for the car lately. But managed to finally after a lot of burning, cutting and whacking get subframe and diff mounts out and now it's all ready for a quick spruce up then hopefully I can start putting it back together!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Kingk

Kingk Member

-----update-----

So whilst I'm waiting for paint etc to turn up for subframes and calipers etc I thought I'd start stripping out the wiring that's now pointless, try to tidy it up a bit. So after a good few hours over the past couple of days I'm currently left with this mess

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But managed to strip out all the unneeded stuff and going to look tons neater now. Also thinking of moving the engine bay fuseboard? Anybody that knows what's involved or done it before any advice would be greatly appreciated

#14 Kingk, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  15. Kingk

Kingk Member

-----Update-----

Finally managed to get to grips with my wiring (I hope) decided to order some new connector blocks for the looms just to make it really neat.

Whilst I was at the wiring I thought I'd sort out the mess on the radio harness too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So whilst I'm waiting for them to turn up I decided to make a custom gauge holder in place of my centre vents.

[​IMG]

Made a start

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I managed to get them fibreglassed in too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All ready for filler now once the resin has set, then I'm going to get my centre console hydro-dipped. A mate of mine got his dash parts done on his chaser a few months ago and they turned out brilliant so I've been dying to get something dipped since then!

16. Kingk

Kingk Member

-----update-----

Managed to get the first coat of filler on the gauge mounts tonight.

[​IMG]

Then shaped it roughly and made sure the gauges fit.

[​IMG]

And even managed to get the final skim of filler on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All ready now for the final sand then I can get it hydro dipped.

17. Kingk

Kingk Member

-----update-----

Finally managed to get back up the unit and now my paints turned up I thought I best get going!

So quickly knocked up a makeshift booth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then cleaned off the underseal that had been thrown all over the rear subframe and sprayed it with por15 marine clean the por15 metal prep (very impressed with this stuff)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then gave both subframes a quick blast of por15 primer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then as por15 primer dries super quick!!!! I thought it would be rude not to give it a quick top coat to see what the colour looked like

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks a lot more luminous in the photos! It's not as lairy in real life

18. Kingk

Kingk Member

-----update-----

Well at long last I've managed to get back to this, need to get this on road for summer!!!

So I've been doing the odd bits and pieces on the car but didn't feel it warranted and update

So I decided to loose the factory buttons on the centre console too, as when I get it dipped they'll look odd.

[​IMG]

Finally ready for hydro dipping

[​IMG]

Also decided whilst I was at the wiring to move the engine fuse box to where the passenger airbag used to be, so now there's wires everywhere!!! I really hate auto electrics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anybody has any tips for relocating the fuse box please let me know lol

Also decided that the standard shifter was too boring

[​IMG]

And I've got some red bride gaitors being made at the moment

And a new sticker which I think sums most cars up perfectly lol

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Kingk

Kingk Member

Then today as I'm taking too long I decided I needed to get it back on road, so altered my plans a little and started putting the car back together

So fitted my solid mounts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted the subframe at long last

[​IMG]

Then replaced the gaitors on my hsds and finally fitted them

[​IMG]

Got my diff sealed back up and refitted

[​IMG]

And managed to get the drivers side reassembled

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then thought I might as well test fit my rotas and over fenders now I've got all the parts fitted that I'm going to be running and see if anything rubbed etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasn't as bad as I thought! Should get away with a 20/25mm spacer on the rear and still have a little clearance.

Hopefully get back on it this week and get passengers side built back up and all the running gear etc back on then it should just leave the electrics then I can finally get back to driving it!

#19 Kingk, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  20. Kingk

Kingk Member

So managed to get back to the unit today for a bit, got the passengers side bolted back on so I now have a rear end again and all running gear at long last

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really looking forward to seeing how low I can get on the hsds

Also managed to get the hsds fitted up front aswell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only issue I've got now is the damper adjuster looks like it's snapped off on one of the fronts, I know hsds can be refurbished etc does anybody know if that part can be changed or is it time to look for a new coilover?