Tom's interesting Onevia build - Slipwheel

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Tom 46, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

Right, its about time I started a project thread on here – I’ve not written one of these for years so please forgive me if it’s a bit shit haha!

I’ve been a member on this forum for about 6 years and have always loved drifting as a sport and for the style. However I have only recently bought my first drift car, this has been due to high insurance, being at university etc.
    Anyway, I started my car hunt roughly 12 months ago and had a very small shortlist of cars that I was interested in – PS13, R32 were my first choices as I love the early 90’s style. After about a month I found this Nissan Onevia for sale on ebay – shortly afterwards I found it for sale on here aswell! I had recently started doing a bit of RC drifting up at SoulRC at the time and had just made a Onevia body for my RC car, so naturally I was very interested in it!

Needless to say that as soon as I saw the car I fell in love with it, it was the first Onevia that I had seen in real life and I was impressed with the spec of the car. The car already had a lot of mods that I had planned for the future which would end up saving me money in the long run, and the engine had recently been rebuilt – so it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for! We settled on a price and I bought it :D
    I wont list all the things here, but I found the old advert of the car here:
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-cars-sale-private-sales/223397-my-1991-nissan-ps13-onevia.html
    I’m sure quite a few of you will recognise this car from when Gutty originally built it several years ago! All credit to him, he did a great job especially with all the fab work that went into the front end/tubbed front arches
    Unfortunately in the time between the car being built and it falling into my hands, the condition had deteriorated slightly – just small things like a few leaks, drive shaft gone, rust starting to show itself on the rear arches. But this is just part of old Nissan ownership!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Tom 46, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

So I started off with a very good base car and I soon booked my very first drift day at DWYB at Santa Pod.

I was nervous going into this because I was going in as a complete noob, however the way the event was run meant it was an awesome day for me to learn the basics and to get to know the car properly. Luckily some friends of mine who are experienced drifters came along to show me the ropes and lend a helping hand throughout the day.

I spent the day playing around in the play pen’s, working my way up to doing consistent 2nd gear figure of 8’s – learning how to clutch kick (never done it before!) and tried playing with the hand brake (although I wasn’t really going fast enough, I wanted to get used to the action more than anything).

Despite just staying in the pens I was really happy with my progress and how the car behaved! The only problem was a small overheating issue but that was simply due to lack of air flow from not really moving haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

It was shortly after my first drift day that I suddenly went through a stage of break-downs. I was still using the car as a daily at this point so most of them happened on the way to or from work which was inconvenient to say the least

Throttle cable assembly broke on the way to work, managed to bodge it just using cable ties and somehow made it there!

[​IMG]

Cant remember exactly what broke here but excuse my ugly mug!

[​IMG]

Had to get rescued by my old man!

[​IMG]

Then the alternator belt snapped on the way home from work. Luckily I was only 2 miles away from home, so I sat and let the engine cool down before limping it back

[​IMG]

Then just as I thought I’d got on top of all these issues I hit a big stone on the way to work on the motorway, managed to swerve a little bit to stop it from damaging anything important on the car, but I ran it over with my wheel…..which smashed and I lost all air

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the car to Tesco and had to leave it in the car park all day before getting a lift in to work (considering this was at 5:30 in the morning no one was too happy….especially me!)

[​IMG]

Friend of mine let me borrow a pair of his wheels, Advan RG’s so he met me after work and we got the wheels swapped over – we struggled because of the size, they rubbed like hell on the arches, but it was enough to get me home again….and they looked killer!

[​IMG]

Luckily hux is a wizard when it comes to fixing wheels so I took it down the next weekend and he worked his magic on it for me. Came back good as new.

All of this happened in the space of 1 month, so roughly 1 break down per week….understandably it got very frustrating! So I bought myself a sensible daily to use for commuting. I picked up a Honda Accord TDI wagon because it meant that I can fit all my tools and spare wheels in the boot for drift days (as long as I could sweet talk the girlfriend into driving it down for me haha) - £900 of practical sensible goodness

4. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

Now we start to get to the styling part of the build.

Style has always been a very important part of a build for me, so I was very keen to start progress on the style of the car. Unfortunately fixing the car since the first drift day and buying a daily driver took up a lot of money that I had saved up, so things didn’t happen all at once.

Right from the very first day I knew exactly how I wanted the car to look. I am a very big fan of the Animal Style drift team, Tandem of Die, A-Bo Moon etc….I just love the big hovercraft kit, deep dish wheels, big lows and good wheel fitment.

I know it’s very marmite and results in a car that is slightly compromised in terms of set up for drifting, however the mix of style and function is perfect in my eyes.

The first piece of the puzzle was the rear wheels. I managed to find a pair of Work Equip’s in retard sizes (18x12 et -20), the lad who I bought them off also had a pair of Origin 50mm rear overfenders for sale, so I bought them both

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though they had previously been fitted to a PS13 I was still sceptical after the first test fit…..

[​IMG]

I didn’t feel too bad cutting the old arches out because rust had started to show on them (This is my old man in the picture, not me!!)
    [​IMG]

Borrowed a riv-nut gun from a mate and set about fitting the OF’s using stainless riv-nuts and bolts for easy fitment/removal. As the wheels were so wide, I had to pinch the OF’s as much as possible, but they did just about fit in the end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn’t want to mess with the geometry at first because it drove so nice, however it looked like a bit of a truck, so I lowered the rear slightly and added approx. 0.5 degree of neg camber to bring them in slightly.(Picture below is before lowering!!)
    [​IMG]

I couldn’t afford a pair of front wheels to match, so I had to leave it with the R33 skyline wheels on the front for a little while, and the 17" Rotas before I sold them

[​IMG]

I then found a pair of Work Eurolines for sale on this forum, (18x9 et20 I believe?). I drove all the way down to central London to pick them up. However when I fitted them to the car I wasn’t really impressed with the look? I personally thought they looked far too big…..so I sold them on again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then did Japfest with the old wheel set up

[​IMG]

And got 'papped' on the way home!

[​IMG]

Now for the bodykit – as I said earlier I knew exactly how I wanted this car to look, and after seeing the famous C’s Garage onevia from several years ago, I knew that I had to have a BN Sports bodykit. Its big, stupid and OTT, but I love it

A friend of mine managed to secure me not only a BN Sports bodykit, but also a 326 Power rear wing through EPRacing – not only that but he also picked it up and delivered it to my door because “I wanted to see it on the car”. Much love to ‘TideyTobes’ on here, such a gent. So together we mocked it up on the car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took me a while to actually get round to fitting the kit, by which time I had bought a pair of Work XD9’s off this forum. Really loved these wheels

[​IMG]

I started off fitting the skirts as they seemed the easiest bit to start with, once id actually started it didn’t take too long to get them on. I also fitted the rear bumper at the same time – this wasn’t as easy as the skirts and the fitment wasn’t 100%, but it went on.

[​IMG]

I knew the BN kit would sit quite low, but I thought as it wasn’t a daily anymore it would be alright surely? (Note – this was during the 2015 rugby world cup, hence the English flag out of the window haha)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

Right, back to the drifting.

After the DWYB summer break I booked up for another day (Having only done 1 previous drift day I didn’t have the confidence to go straight out onto a proper circuit, I wanted more practice first) but a week before the event my throttle body decided to break!

To be honest I think I was lucky to find this before it got any worse and actually broke, could have been a lot worse!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I rushed around trying to find a replacement in time – Jan Doyce was good enough to offer one as a temporary fit, but unfortunately it didn’t fit my engine

I then found one online, bought it and paid express delivery to ensure it would arrive in time. However once it arrived I discovered it was slightly different to my original one again! I had heard that an N/A S14 TB was an upgrade….however it didn’t fit on mine! This was on the Monday evening – 2 days before the event, so I was cutting it fine

Luckily Garage D were there to save my ass, I had phoned them during the day on Tuesday and fortunately they had one on the shelf. So straight after work on Tuesday I made the trip down to London to pick it up, luckily they were open late that evening as I got stuck in rush hour traffic.

I got home at about 8:30 that evening (After being at work from 5:30 in the morning, and a long trip down to London!) and set about fitting it and getting the car packed up for the next day. Cutting it fine was an understatement!!

Made it to Santa Pod the next day and had an amazing day once again.

Shout out to Jonathan Jiggins who let me borrow his drift wheels for the day :worthy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan was to take the front bumper off whilst drifting, however I was too keen to head out that I forgot to take it off. I went straight into the pen for a 5 minute warm up as it had been a while since I was last here.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I got a little too happy and ended up on the grass – the bumper folded up under the car and I then hit the metal safety fence. Was only a very small ‘off’ but the bumper didn’t cope too well!! (Am I the only person to crash in the play pen and hit the railing?!)

Anyway I laughed it off as it was only a matter of time before it got broke anyway! And enjoyed the rest of the day.

Spend the rest of the day in the Kidney bean track learning to slow my speed and the small transition between the barrels. Once again my driving and confidence took a huge leap forward on this day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

So by this time I was getting pretty bored with the ‘panda’ look of the car, and decided that I wanted to paint it all one colour.

Myself and 2 friends had started drifting at the same time and had always planned to paint our cars the same colour/liver at somepoint. We had also recently started a company called ‘Slipwheel’ which is a drift related Japanese inspired brand.

As most of my kit was still white, and my friend’s S14 was white, I decided to do a quick, cheap respray in this colour. Started with the overfenders and worked my way around the car piece by piece. As this was only supposed to be a temporary job I didn’t put much time and effort into it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love this photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I still didn’t have any drift wheels of my own I was on the lookout for something cheap and wide. As my rear arches are so wide, this has made choice of drift wheels quite tricky as the only wheels that would fit nicely are too expensive!

I picked up a pair of Dare RS in 17x10 and a pair of Gewalt wheels in 18x10 (from Docwra on here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

I had my last drift day of the year not long after the car was painted, and true to form the car decided to throw up some issues just before the day!

This time the car was running awful, tried new plugs at first but that didn’t help. After a few days of chasing our tail we tracked it down to a faulty AFM that was resulting in a poor air/fuel ratio. Managed to track down another green label skyline MAF a few days before the event.

[​IMG]

So this was my third drift day and I continued my progression by hitting up the big track for most of the day! This was a big leap for me but I enjoyed it so much. I did a couple of runs in the kidney first thing in the morning to get back into it, which is where most of these pictures were taken.

I got a passenger ride off Hux before doing big track for the first time to get some pointers and to see the track layout before driving it for the first time. I have to admit that this scared the shit out of me, it was my first time being a passenger in a drift car and it seems so much more violent from the passenger seat?....or maybe because it was Huxley that was driving haha :p

By the end of the day I was linking the course including the ‘big corner’ (which was my favourite bit because of the speed!) – I think the conditions may have helped with this? Track being damp it was super slippery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

This brings us to 2016 and something Id been wanting to do this for a while. I wanted to lower the rear a bit more. So we had a bit of a get together with the lads and had a car day, resulting in my rear coilovers being maxxed out – Id still like to drop it slightly but I don’t want to start playing with the pre-load on the springs yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then had some snow

[​IMG]

Another thing that I had put off doing for a long time was the fitting of the rear bumper and 326 wing – Id had these sat in the garage for several months so took the opportunity at the start of the year to get them on…..new year, new look and all that…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work VS-KF’s have always been one of my favourite wheels, and have always wanted some for the car. Luckily for me, my friends at Japwestmods got a beautiful pair in stock, so we took the trip down to pick them up. 18x9 et30, fully polished centers + dishes plus neochrome split rim bolts to finish the look off

These were the exact same size as the XD9’s I had, so I knew they would bolt on and fit nicely straight away. I am planning to make these much wider in the future, as I am running a 20mm spacer and stock front arches at the moment! So there is scope to get biiiiiig retard dishes to match the equips on the rear :thumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just as I was happy with how the car was now looking/acting it decided to throw a strop again and cost me some more money….

The exhaust had been blowing badly since the last drift day from the turbo/manifold joint. Thinking this would be a simple gasket replacement job I took it back to the garage

[​IMG]

However this is where the curse of this car comes up again. At every stage of the job it threw up more and more issues:

· Manifold studs sheered off

· Turbo studs sheered off

· Manifold was cracked on the underside (so we couldn’t see until we took it off)

· Turbo elbow was cracked and blowing

And the best part:

· The turbo was not a T28 as I was told and had thought for the past 9 months. It was infact a T25g….that had a lot of play in it and a couple of broken blades on the turbine.

I knew the car had been mapped to run on a T28, so I set about searching for all the new parts id need, including the T28 turbo. Luckily Jonathan Jiggins came to my aid once again as he was about to remove his turbo kit and sell it on. So we made the trip to his unit and took it off for him. This kit included everything I needed including a new manifold, so what a massive result!

Needless to say the car feels SO MUCH better now that it has a solid exhaust system, a bigger turbo, and a turbo that it is actually mapped for!! Hopefully should be a bit better for the next drift day :wack:

9. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

I recently had a photo/video shoot for an upcoming show that SlammedUK are hosting this summer - Gravity show

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This brings us up to date to where I currently am.

As a team we decided a long time ago that yellow would be our ‘team colour’, mostly influenced by the C’s Garage onevia, and also because I love yellow cars!

So we have undertaken the job of doing a full respray by ourselves. In hindsight this was probably a bit optimistic, but I must admit that I have enjoyed it for the most part.

I’ve used Montanna Hardcore 2 yellow paint, with Halfords clear lacquer over the top – with everything from 400 through to 2000 grit paper at every stage. It has taken a while to be honest, its been 2 weeks since we started, so 2 weekends and every evening after work and I am now finished.

We decided to paint the roof’s black to add contrast, and because we’ve heard of quite a few others who are going yellow for 2016 as well, so this black roof will add a little difference in there, which is better for everybody really.

Progress pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just picked up these as drift wheels: Rota Boost in 18x10 et 20

[​IMG]

Love this shot:
    [​IMG]

Plans for the rest of the year are:

Drive it to death
    Make front wheels wider and fit wider front wings
    Shotgun pipes
    Cage

Aiming to visit Teeside and Driftland this year, but will have to find a way to trailer the car there as something will probably break!

10. gostt

gostt Member

That sir, is a pretty awesome car! I love it!

Are you planning any team graphics on your cars ?

11. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

Thanks mate, much appreciated

Yes, but not right now. We have several designs planned for the livery, renders done, and even made 1:10 scale vinyl livery for our RC drift cars haha

But I don't want to livery up the car until my driving is at a certain level, otherwise it's kind of 'all the gear and no idea' kind of situation? I want to be confidently hitting the proper tracks like teeside, 3 sisters, driftland etc first

12. michealkirwan

michealkirwan Member

this looks amazing lad from your dad helping you out to the colour changes to all the fixed issues then the flipping wheels! nice choice with the vskfs ive them too but not near your fitment. ill be watching this!

13. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

Cheers mate thankyou, most of the work has been done by me and my dad which is nice....and helps keep costs down where possible!

My KF's are quite small size to be honest, 18x9 et30, so quite sensible really. They look a lot wider than they are really!

Update - just bought a Japspeed shotgun exhaust for an R32 skyline, will have to modify it slightly to fit this but it will look ace!

14. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Very cool. I only have one car on the wall of the garage at home and it's Joel's Onevia when it was BN & VSXX. I thought the Hedges boys were just a big influence here, good to see it spreading

Was disappointed when you started cutting it up, but the end result is awesome

And I'm massively impressed you run BN on the streets. That sir, is full commitment

PS - a mate bought Joel's old Equips (10.5 @ -44) so i know how much you went through to get them to fit

15. Rorym

Rorym Member

Some real nice progress. Love how the car turned out. I was saying to myself this far looks familiar then it dawned on me I am following you on insta lol.

16. GT-ARR

GT-ARR Member

Im gonna left some words because i think someone need to do it. Over the last years the UK scene is growing in such a good way.
    Im borred to see s13 with v8's shitty aero's mans, that isn't the true meaning of Drift , its just a couple of rich kids thinking bigger its better. From the other side appears UK scene which im kinda fall in love its a misture of Japan we something magicical. The quality is above every other country (many of you guys can think AnimalStyle is the father of team Drift or RiskyDevil but i fell something else from the UK Team scene). The different is, amazing builds and aggressive drift its the true phrase meaning Drift Break Repair Drift you guys dont give up of your dream's no matter if the work is not doing well or country its this dog/cat is that you guys focus what really matter's drift weeks and friendship and that is the main point, to that i give a :worthy:
    Next i want to give a :worthy: for teams who are making it happen: UKATEN MINTY FRESH LOW MILAGE Slipwheel ...
    LETS KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE

17. Tom 46

Tom 46 Member

Wow thankyou! The teams you mentioned there are huge influences for us and we have so much respect for them all, so to be mentioned in the same sentence as them is a huge compliment, ️thankyou :)

Yeah I know what you mean about the UK drift scene. Admittedly I have not been involved that much until this year so I can't really comment yet! However I would love to see more japanese inspired cars at events as that is what drifting is to me

This is why I'd much rather go to Matsuri events than BDC haha!

Yeah it's amazing having some close friends with exactly the same interests, We just need a bit more practice in the car and we'll be kicking ass!

️️Thankyou for the nice comments so far

18. Jays36

Jays36 New Member

This build is amazing man, one of my favorites by far to be seen here and I can see the influence from other teams and I love it. Being out here in the states Animalstyle is one of the coolest teams out here and when I see this it gives me the same feeling as when I see something from them. I can see a lot of style here that relates to my new team as well. Insane build bro, keep it up. And I love the yellow!

19. CrossOverPics

CrossOverPics Member

Nice dude, looks dope.

20. Doofmeister

Doofmeister Member

Oi oi tom, awesome thread man :)

Car's looking dope as ever!

- Enda